• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just curious, what would it take for you to trade #33 pick during draft?

1 hour ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

If we want to build for the future I could see that pick netting us a 1st next year if there's someone that another team really wants sitting at #33.

It seems like the quality of talent in next year's draft is significantly worse than this year. If we trade for a 1st rounder next year, it better be to a team that will finish in the bottom half of the standings. Getting a late 1st rounder next year would be a huge net negative IMO

• Beer 2

4 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Two firsts next year would be mighty useful for getting our new QB next year and if we suck bad enough we can use our own to get him then that extra first can be a first round playmaker for the new QB rather than a second round one this year. 

Better hope Baby Bryce works out. Next years class is supposed to be cheeks. One channel has the first QB off the board next year at 50. Of course there could be a break out year by someone but not a glowing outlook so far.

3 hours ago, SCO96 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority here. But, if I were a GM, there is NO WAY I'd trade away a 1st round pick in next year's draft class for a 2nd round pick in the current year. That's the type of deal Marty Hurney would make and have all of us ready to throw shoes at the television on draft night.

We didn't have 1st round selections in 2009 or 2010. Hurney was so desperate to get "his guy" that he would trade away a first in future years to nab a JAG in the 2nd round of the present draft. I seem to recall us doing that one year to move up to select the great "Everette Brown" at DE in 2009. We also didn't have a pick in 2010 until #48 when we chose Jimmy Clausen. We had traded away our round 1 pick in 2010 prior to the draft night.

The scenario you laid out is might work if you were dealing with an inept GM (i.e. Hurney). No one with a rational mind would consider such a move unless the GM realized team roster was so stacked that a #1 pick might not be able to crack the starting lineup for some time. Then, I could see trading down a bit to pick up some additional choices to build solid depth at each position. Other than that, use those picks to get the best player. You can never have too much talent on a football team.

Future picks are generally viewed at a value of 1 round worse than they actually are in trades, especially when the pick they’re getting is the 1st pick of the 2nd round

nobody is making the trade right now, but I think that’s a very realistic trade after the 1st round is over as they’d be doing it to get a specific player they wanted and fell out of the 1st

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, SmittysLawnGuy said:

Better hope Baby Bryce works out. Next years class is supposed to be cheeks. One channel has the first QB off the board next year at 50. Of course there could be a break out year by someone but not a glowing outlook so far.

There always is

4 hours ago, SCO96 said:

Maybe I'm in the minority here. But, if I were a GM, there is NO WAY I'd trade away a 1st round pick in next year's draft class for a 2nd round pick in the current year. That's the type of deal Marty Hurney would make and have all of us ready to throw shoes at the television on draft night.

We didn't have 1st round selections in 2009 or 2010. Hurney was so desperate to get "his guy" that he would trade away a first in future years to nab a JAG in the 2nd round of the present draft. I seem to recall us doing that one year to move up to select the great "Everette Brown" at DE in 2009. We also didn't have a pick in 2010 until #48 when we chose Jimmy Clausen. We had traded away our round 1 pick in 2010 prior to the draft night.

The scenario you laid out is might work if you were dealing with an inept GM (i.e. Hurney). No one with a rational mind would consider such a move unless the GM realized team roster was so stacked that a #1 pick might not be able to crack the starting lineup for some time. Then, I could see trading down a bit to pick up some additional choices to build solid depth at each position. Other than that, use those picks to get the best player. You can never have too much talent on a football team.

Next year’s first for this year’s second is typical and has happened many times.

2 hours ago, Panthro said:

But at 33 that’s practically a 1st

itd take multiple picks to move off 33

It’s not practically a 1st, it’s practically the first pick of the second round. If it was a team that typically picks at the end of the first then yea I’d need multiple picks. If it’s the bears, jags, cards, teams like that I’d probably be satisfied with just the first. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, JawnyBlaze said:

It’s not practically a 1st, it’s practically the first pick of the second round. If it was a team that typically picks at the end of the first then yea I’d need multiple picks. If it’s the bears, jags, cards, teams like that I’d probably be satisfied with just the first. 

I’m practically sure you don’t know what practically means

2 minutes ago, Panthro said:

I’m practically sure you don’t know what practically means

I literally know what practically means and nothing is practically or basically a different round than it actually is.  #33 has been passed by practically every team like any other second round pick. It gets no fifth year option like literally every other second round pick.  I was just being smarmy because this “practically/basically a first round pick” rhetoric pops up every year and it’s dumb.  There’s a much bigger difference between pick 32 and 33 than there is 33 and 34 (just to emphasize the gap between 33 and a first round pick).

• Pie 1