• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Edge K'Lavon Chaisson to the Panthers

1 hour ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Evero just packed his bags and he's leaving his office as we speak.

yeah i really think Evero is the best coach in Carolina right now & would love to see what he could with a talented roster

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

2 sacks and 8 qb hits on 25% of the snaps isn't bad. Probably obvious passing down pass rusher

Chaisson is coming off a career-high 2.0 sacks in 2023. He also recorded 13 combined tackles and eight quarterback hits over 17 outings.

Jacksonville had used the 6-foot-3, 245-pounder sparingly on defense over the past three seasons. He played in 39.2 percent of the unit’s snaps in 2021, 18.4 percent (nine games) in 2022 and 25.4 percent this past season.

and while in a defense that didn't suit him. he's an edge rusher for a 3-4, not a DE in a 4-3. not quite the necessary build for that. 

put him in the right scheme and the dude might just eat. he looked pretty fierce in college clips i looked up. after sitting in jaxville for so long he might be starved looking for an opportunity to feed again. it could be good. worth a shot. at worst a cheap rotational guy.

NOT a starter, but good for obvious passing downs he couldn't hurt. nice sucker punch kind of guy.

• Pie 3

53 minutes ago, bandu said:

yeah i really think Evero is the best coach in Carolina right now & would love to see what he could with a talented roster

I actually think Evero's scheme works almost as good with an average group of players.   It would obviously be better with a stacked roster but I dont think it would be as much better as you might think.  Evero's scheme is a pretty safe, bend don't break, everyone just do your job scheme.  His specialty is overachieving.

Just because he's a 1st round bust doesn't mean he's not an upgrade from Barno/Johnson/Haynes (due to never being healthy). I doubt he'll see much of the run game but I guess it's less of a liability when we're in a 3-4

• Pie 1

If we sign a free agent Edge at this point (Chase or Clowney) and the probability is about 30%.  Chase is going to visit New Orleans and Tennessee, and he is slow playing it.  Clowney has interest from the Jets, Panthers, and the Ravens would like him back.

Here is Spotrac's estimate of cap space:

3.  Tennessee   $50m

16. Carolina   $20m

18. New Orleans $16.6

19.  NY Jets $13m

20.  Baltimore $11m

It seems likely that nobody will be able to compete with the contract Tennessee gives Chase, which is probably why he is visiting them last.

That leaves the Panthers competing with 2 teams with less cap space for Clowney. 

• The Jets are not in a good place, but he may think NYC is cool.
  • The Ravens were successful and he is part of that team now--to me, they are the most likely to land Clowney.
  • If Clowney wants to come home, we can probably offer him a slightly higher salary to make that happen.  My guess is it will cost the Panthers $10m per year for 2 years.

So if we do not sign either Clowney or Young, we plan to draft one, I suppose.   This is what Person said in the Atlantic:

Outlook: Wonnum looks like the type of long, athletic player who could thrive in Ejiro Evero’s 3-4 system. He had a pair of eight-sack seasons in four years in Minnesota after the Vikings drafted him in the fourth round. That’s not nothing, but the Panthers believe Wonnum can be more disruptive while raising his productivity.

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

If we sign a free agent Edge at this point (Chase or Clowney) and the probability is about 30%.  Chase is going to visit New Orleans and Tennessee, and he is slow playing it.  Clowney has interest from the Jets, Panthers, and the Ravens would like him back.

Here is Spotrac's estimate of cap space:

3.  Tennessee   $50m

16. Carolina   $20m

18. New Orleans $16.6

19.  NY Jets $13m

20.  Baltimore $11m

It seems likely that nobody will be able to compete with the contract Tennessee gives Chase, which is probably why he is visiting them last.

That leaves the Panthers competing with 2 teams with less cap space for Clowney. 

• The Jets are not in a good place, but he may think NYC is cool.
  • The Ravens were successful and he is part of that team now--to me, they are the most likely to land Clowney.
  • If Clowney wants to come home, we can probably offer him a slightly higher salary to make that happen.  My guess is it will cost the Panthers $10m per year for 2 years.

So if we do not sign either Clowney or Young, we plan to draft one, I suppose.   This is what Person said in the Atlantic:

Outlook: Wonnum looks like the type of long, athletic player who could thrive in Ejiro Evero’s 3-4 system. He had a pair of eight-sack seasons in four years in Minnesota after the Vikings drafted him in the fourth round. That’s not nothing, but the Panthers believe Wonnum can be more disruptive while raising his productivity.

Starting to hope we get Clowney.  I'm not sure Robinson is an edge in a 3-4. He wins with power and doesn't have top end speed. At 285 he could add a little weight and make a good end opposite of Brown if we went that route

Carolina Panthers Primary LogoCAREDGE#45

Panthers agreed to terms with EDGE K’Lavon Chaisson, formerly of the Jaguars, on a one-year, $5 million contract.
Less than a day removed from signing pass rusher D.J. Wonnum, the Panthers are once again adding to their revamped core of pass rushers with the signing of Chaisson. Chaisson was allowed to test free agency after the Jaguars opted to not exercise his fifth-year extension last offseason. The former first-round pick is somewhat a reclamation project, as he’s struggled to live up to his draft capital through four seasons. Injuries cut his 2022 season short, but in 57 career games, Chaisson has managed just 73 tackles and five sacks. His role will likely depend on how he performs in OTAs and training camp, as this looks like more of a one-year prove-it deal.