• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales on fixing Bryce's footwork

33 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That was an amazing moment of candor. Yeah, this over the hill journeyman presents a unique threat that our #1 overall pick doesn't - namely being the size of an NFL QB and then vs. Seattle we also found out that our offense could actually present a vertical threat when our QB displayed the ability to throw a ball more than 20 yards in the air.

I think we've forgotten how that game went. Dalton balled out late in that game. I mean Stroud wouldn't have been able to do what Dalton did in that game. And yes there were drops and yes Dalton took a lot of hits and still delivered the ball. But believe this... there is NO way Dalton finishes the season if he takes that beating every week. I would have given him another 2-3 weeks, 4 tops. 

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

well this is also why josh mccown is overrated. i don't even know where his push came from in the media's eyes. dude is a seasoned veteran but was never good.

he was a hot name at the time. tepper likes his hot names. 

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

These bryce backers man

Honestly I'm not really a Bryce backer Rum. I can just be objective and realistically understand that every play is not in a vacuum. If they draft a QB in the 7th round that beats Bryce out and takes Carolina to the Super Bowl, I would never utter his name again. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

All that talk about his throwing with anticipation went right out the window when he threw two ugly picks across the middle trying to do that in week one. He became a see it first then throw guy after that and that's a tough row to hoe when your arm is subpar. By the time you see it it's already gone.

I mean, the first pick was like, " Yeah, rookie mistake." The second pick was like, "Come on, man." The third pick, albeit not that game, was like , "Uh oh!" The fourth pick was like, "Houston, we got a problem." And somewhere along the way was, "Houston, you got our guy..."

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 2

8 minutes ago, RumHam said:

These bryce backers man

or just these people who haven't made up their minds on BY and want to see if a new coaching staff and rebuilt scheme and offense around him can make something happen. 

we're working with incomplete information due to an incompetent staff and hoping that this year it will be better. 

15 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Here we go with the "hot takes" again. True - Bryce doesn't have an elite arm, but he DOES have a good arm. More than adequate for the NFL. Particularly because he can throw from odd angles and doesn't need to set his feet to deliver with accuracy. If he sets his feet and lets the ball rip, it'd have a lot more velocity. But that's not his game. It's not a physical limitation. It's a choice to not throw with high velocity all the time. Which you shouldn't. But I agree, there were times when he should have put more zip on the ball, or more air under the pass. He's a finesse passer. Not a Cam. 

Footwork does need to be cleaned up. But I can't blame the man for wanting to be in a position to bail playing behind that oline, with those receivers, in that scheme. He showed plenty of zip on a number of throws last season. He showed the ability to move defenders with his eyes/body movement and throw with high level anticipation - rookies aren't normally able to do either consistently. He showed that he was very elusive when he did decide to run. Decision making was his biggest issue, but that comes with time and/or good coaching. I mean, he WAS a rookie without much help last year. The plan for this season, is to give him a better supporting cast, so that they're able to determine if he's the guy. Do we think Canales and Morgan decided to replace 3/5 of the oline, and bring in 2 new WRs (possibly another 2 in the draft) because guys were open and Bryce couldn't get them the ball? No. They watched the film and saw a team that put too much pressure on one player - that happened to be a rookie. 

I saw no evidence of Bryce having a "good" NFL arm. IMO, the "hot takes" is still latching onto these "arm angle" and "elasticity" talking points. Bryce has one of the weakest arms of any QB on an NFL roster. We saw backup after backup take the field around the league and show considerably more arm talent. That's just the reality. Can he overcome that? Time will tell.

• Pie 3

18 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Here we go with the "hot takes" again. True - Bryce doesn't have an elite arm, but he DOES have a good arm. More than adequate for the NFL. Particularly because he can throw from odd angles and doesn't need to set his feet to deliver with accuracy. If he sets his feet and lets the ball rip, it'd have a lot more velocity. But that's not his game. It's not a physical limitation. It's a choice to not throw with high velocity all the time. Which you shouldn't. But I agree, there were times when he should have put more zip on the ball, or more air under the pass. He's a finesse passer. Not a Cam. 

Footwork does need to be cleaned up. But I can't blame the man for wanting to be in a position to bail playing behind that oline, with those receivers, in that scheme. He showed plenty of zip on a number of throws last season. He showed the ability to move defenders with his eyes/body movement and throw with high level anticipation - rookies aren't normally able to do either consistently. He showed that he was very elusive when he did decide to run. Decision making was his biggest issue, but that comes with time and/or good coaching. I mean, he WAS a rookie without much help last year. The plan for this season, is to give him a better supporting cast, so that they're able to determine if he's the guy. Do we think Canales and Morgan decided to replace 3/5 of the oline, and bring in 2 new WRs (possibly another 2 in the draft) because guys were open and Bryce couldn't get them the ball? No. They watched the film and saw a team that put too much pressure on one player - that happened to be a rookie. 

he has at best one of the 5 worst arms in the nfl all things considered

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Honestly I'm not really a Bryce backer Rum. I can just be objective and realistically understand that every play is not in a vacuum. If they draft a QB in the 7th round that beats Bryce out and takes Carolina to the Super Bowl, I would never utter his name again. 

Dalton played better in Seattle in a very loud, hostile environment than Bryce had to that point. If the goal was truly about winning, Bryce would have been holding a clipboard until he truly beat out Dalton, which leads me to believe the goal was never about winning and that in itself is a huge problem. Someone, here's looking at you Dave, was trying to prove they knew best and were damn sure going to prove it. 2 wins and 15 losses later, I think we can safely say Bryce wasn't ready to be an immediate NFL starter if winning really was the priority. 

18 minutes ago, RumHam said:

These bryce backers man

I'm fine with people still having hope in Bryce. I have very, VERY little left but hope is fine. Just don't gas light me with some bullshit about Bryce having a good NFL arm. I mean, just GTFO with that. We've seen 16 games of him floating dying ducks. Just give up on that already. Yes going to have to find a way to get it done with a subpar arm because that's what he's working with.

5 hours ago, MechaZain said:

We can’t assess that in a vacuum. Defenses don’t care how strong his arm is if the protection and receivers can’t support the deep ball.

Well we obviously know why he opted not to throw at the combine. Is his arm awful? No. Can it be adequate under ideal circumstances? We are going to find out. But if we are being forthright with one another my friend we have to just acknowledge that at this time if we can compare Bryce's arm to anyone it would assuredly be Teddy Bridgewater. That's not me trying to make a dig on BY. I hate having to say that for what we gave up to draft him. But that's the situation.

At this point since it's still March I have a certain level of hope. To a degree that has been extinguished recently knowing Bryce Young has apparently not made any significant changes in his approach to his development so far this offseason coming off arguably the worst rookie QB season in at least 20 years. If he is going to be successful he has to get any "yes" people out of his ear and do anything necessary to improve his competition level in this league. Otherwise there is a college football analyst gig in his future. For me it's as simple as that.

6 minutes ago, rayzor said:

or just these people who haven't made up their minds on BY and want to see if a new coaching staff and rebuilt scheme and offense around him can make something happen. 

we're working with incomplete information due to an incompetent staff and hoping that this year it will be better. 

my issue going into last year wasn't so much pure incompetency....but bad marriages that were always doomed from the start.   Which brought out the worst outcomes or "incompetency".  We weren't putting people together that meshed/fit.  Coaches and players.  It was a forced vision.   

Still feels forced.  I just hope if Bryce doesn't fit after an honest try they move on.  And do it late down the stretch and it not be some big offseason decision.   

• Beer 1

Bryce's arm is good enough. No, it's not elite.   Both of the guys that are considered goats (Montana and Brady), neither had big arms. In fact I use to laugh at the rainbows that Montana would have to throw.  

Now calm down, I'm not.comparing Bryce to the Goats. Just pointing out his arm is good enough for the NFL. 

I know many of you will die on your disdain for Bryce, but he's not what yall paint him to be.  

I, personally,  got tired of watching him having to run for his life.  Not having time to make his reads, let alone set his feat. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do behind a good oline, and a more complete receiver room. 

No matter how it works out, it never changes the fact that drafting a QB, more often than not,  doesn't succeed.  

I know I'm one of the few, but I believe in his talent.   Maybe the NFL will destroy him, or maybe he'll surprise all of us. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1