• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales on fixing Bryce's footwork

19 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

We work on the footwork regardless of who the qb is, every year at the beginning of camp.

Tom Brady, I know you are the greatest of all time, but we are going to start this years camp by working on your footwork.  lol

I do hope he can turn the kid into a good qb.  

I dont thats bs though.  Even with Brady start training camp focusing on the basics and fly through them as fast as it was unnecessary.   You spend as little or as much time as needed on it.  Doesnt mean you wouldnt start there with everyone.

2 hours ago, CmC2k said:

I think the coming to Jesus moment for last year's staff was in the Jets joint practices when they saw first-hand just how bad the Oline was in this scheme where they couldn't just line up and power run the football like they were doing under Wilks. Getting destroyed like they did probably took every pass concept that was more than 20 yards out of the play book because we simply couldn't hold up in pass pro for that long. 

They never intended to be a power rushing scheme. Reich has always run a zone blocking scheme. 

The fact that he didn't have the OLine to implement it is just another layer to the madness. 

10 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Why are we teaching the #1 overall pick, who's had a QB coach since he was big enough to hold a football with one hand, the very basics of throwing?

Because he may not have had coaching from professional coaches? i don't know and i don't know how rudimentary the teaching is, but i do know that it's open to interpretation based on what canales is saying and it's very easy to make the jump to he's having to be retaught everything from the very start for someone who thinks he's a garbage QB anyways. 

every QB can be and should be taught and retaught some fundamentals from time to time to get them back on track when some bad habits have formed over time.  

10 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Because he may not have had coaching from professional coaches? i don't know and i don't know how rudimentary the teaching is, but i do know that it's open to interpretation based on what canales is saying and it's very easy to make the jump to he's having to be retaught everything from the very start for someone who thinks he's a garbage QB anyways. 

every QB can be and should be taught and retaught some fundamentals from time to time to get them back on track when some bad habits have formed over time.  

Yeah Canales mentioned they work on footwork every year with every QB. Hell Cam never really got his footwork right, his arm strength could hide his sometimes sloppy footwork. It also caused his to overthrow a lot of passes and be kind of “streaky” with it.  Throw in a bad OL and footwork will usually get sloppy. 

• Pie 1

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Yeah Canales mentioned they work on footwork every year with every QB. Hell Cam never really got his footwork right, his arm strength could hide his sometimes sloppy footwork. It also caused his to overthrow a lot of passes and be kind of “streaky” with it.  Throw in a bad OL and footwork will usually get sloppy. 

they all come to the league needing some work. it's not a bad thing to recognize that and have to address it. 

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:
Everyone had an opinion on how to get Young and the offense untracked. Some in the organization believed Young wasn’t getting deep enough on his dropbacks, causing some of the pass protection issues that resulted in a mind-boggling 62 sacks.
Canales said Young’s drops played “a little bit” of a role in the protection woes.

Oh jeebus, PR show in full effect.  He isn't a nice and mild as he seems....you might not believe it but....wait for it.....he got some dawg in him lol. 

42 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Consensus #1 overall pick needs all-star supporting cast to succeed. More news at 11.

Only people I've ever seen argue this is those that constantly cry about Young.

31 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

Why are we teaching the #1 overall pick, who's had a QB coach since he was big enough to hold a football with one hand, the very basics of throwing?

Some of you acting like this is a big deal now are the same ones that cried about Ron and Co never holding Newton accountable to improve his footwork. Funny how the argument shifts to support your narrative.

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, jayboogieman said:

Only people I've ever seen argue this is those that constantly cry about Young.

Some of you acting like this is a big deal now are the same ones that cried about Ron and Co never holding Newton accountable to improve his footwork. Funny how the argument shifts to support your narrative.

Mahomes, Allen, and tons of players have bad footwork.  Footwork is a topic on conversation only when the results are bad.  I mean, in theory the best QB in the NFL.....is basically a textbook of what you don't want your QB to be and do.  The results simply aren't what the textbook says should happen when you play like Mahomes does. 

45 minutes ago, frankw said:

TE is a wasteland. I like Tremble's potential with Canales but holy poo how many regime changes is Ian Thomas going to survive.

I'm not sure any TE has ever gotten more bang for the buck for his bank account as Ian Thomas has. He's the type of guy who should've been bouncing around the league trying to latch onto a roster as the 3rd TE and yet we've made him a wealthy man. Good for him but holy poo we're a dumb organization.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, ECHornet said:

You’d rather him tell everyone which route concepts they’re going to emphasize?

This is completely irrelevant and not material. 

His line is they're going to have to throw a bunch at him to see what sticks, implying that after a year of tape they can't say with certainty if he has any strengths. Talking about how he plants his back foot is literally talking about what throws he can comfortably make. 

None of this is "route concepts" or whatever. They're literally working just the tree. 

After one year in the NFL, the panthers head coach is saying they don't know which of the basic throws their QB can make. 

This is not complicated. 

12 minutes ago, CRA said:

Oh jeebus, PR show in full effect.  He isn't a nice and mild as he seems....you might not believe it but....wait for it.....he got some dawg in him lol. 

I remember him getting fired up on the sidelines one game.  Also wasn't there some speech he gave the locker room?  I don't think you can make it to this level and not have some passion/competitiveness unless you are just some insane athlete like a Peppers or Clowney.  

1 minute ago, CRA said:

Mahomes, Allen, and tons of players have bad footwork.  Footwork is a topic on conversation only when the results are bad.  I mean, in theory the best QB in the NFL.....is basically a textbook of what you don't want your QB to be and do.  The results simply aren't what the textbook says should happen when you play like Mahomes does. 

Mahomes is also that ultra rare true generational type player. Holding him up as an example to either side really doesn't work because he is that 1 in a million or whatever number you want to use. That said, I agree with you that most people, including coaches, don't give a poo about footwork until the results are bad. But there are also those that use the argument simply because they don't like the QB for whatever reason.