• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Smitty on Legette

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

Xavier Leggette will be the receiver that we all talked ourselves into thinking Laviska Shenault would be. 

Honestly, teams don't generally give up on good receivers after only one full season, that's why I was skeptical about Shenault. Then, I found the info on what is probably his biggest flaw: tracking the ball. That's why so many of his catches are behind or near the LOS. But tracking the ball is one of Legette's strengths.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 3

1 minute ago, top dawg said:

Honestly, teams don't generally give up on good receivers after only one full season, that's why I was skeptical about Shenault. Then, I found the info on what is probably his biggest flaw: tracking the ball. That's why so many of his catches are behind or near the LOS. But tracking the ball is one of Legette's strengths.

Agreed. The thing is, much of what he does comes naturally to him. He's criminally underdeveloped and it's not his fault that is the case.

Little insight into why he is such a work in progress.

Screenshot_20240331_162548_Google.thumb.jpg.025c11b17bd2fc45f4aa1e1e651e7728.jpg

The guy is raw, but is growing in leaps and bounds, literally and figuratively. What will be drafted is going to be the launching pad for a huge career...imo anyways.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

On 3/30/2024 at 11:36 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

He's literally a threat to break tackles and take it 80. Look at these highlights and tell me this guy isn't a freak of nature.

Whats funny is i saw plenty of separation in that one video. The main thing is he had a qb that could get him the ball. 

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, csx said:

Remember these are second round picks we are talking about. Seems some are scrutinizing them like top 15 selections.

it's a really crazy good class, though. like there's two tiers of WRs...4-5 in first tier (that could be gone in the first dozen picks) and then maybe 10 in the second and all of them could be gone by the middle of the 2nd round. the class is that good and WR is such a premium that teams may not want to wait around for their "appropriate" ranking according to them draftniks.

if there's a run at the end of the first round (which is highly likely will be) it could be that if we're wanting to get 2 WRs from this class (which we should) then we probably will need to use 33 and 39 on WRs. it's going to piss  a lot of people off who live by draftnik rankings that teams pick up so and so too early (like when we wind up having to take Leggette at 33 because we'll be lucky to have him make it out of the 1st if we want him). But you can't account for runs that happen. Teams see that poo and react. 

but basically, these guys that we are talking about who are second round picks very well could be late first round picks...so we kind of need to talk about them as such. 

i don't think it's going to be very balanced draft at all (not that it every completely is). lots of runs at several positions. no one is going to be able to have the luxury of saying "oh we'll target this position in __ round" or that guy in the ___ round".  plans going into the draft are going to fall apart quickly.

• Pie 2

i've got a feeling that teams are a lot higher on leggette than most draftniks are. brett kollman is saying that he could be a late 1st rounder after what he showed in only one year of actual opportunity. he's seen as someone with a poo ton of potential who isn't as rough a project as a lot of people assume. lots of potential, highly coachable, demonstrated a lot of growth quickly. not seen as a one year wonder. 

• Pie 1

On 3/30/2024 at 11:36 PM, CamWhoaaCam said:

He's literally a threat to break tackles and take it 80. Look at these highlights and tell me this guy isn't a freak of nature.

Hes a bit faster Shenault imo.

Just now, Tr3ach said:

Hes a bit faster Shenault imo.

he's (hate using this word) deceptively fast. if you get someone on his tail, he takes off. he's going to out jump, out muscle, and out run most DBs. and some of the poo rattler was throwing to him was russel wilson caliber "just launch it somewhere" passes that he somehow managed to grab and pull down. he's a real threat to catch the ball and a threat with the ball. 

On 3/29/2024 at 9:45 PM, Jackie Lee said:

Hmm I'd like to go back and watch what he had on Mingo last year as well....Haven't watched their tape back to back but the ras scores are nearly identical

the thing is the mentality is different. legette probably be higher any other year but not the archetype some are looking for. Dude is game focused, Mingo isn't.

• Flames 1

25 minutes ago, RumHam said:

the thing is the mentality is different. legette probably be higher any other year but not the archetype some are looking for. Dude is game focused, Mingo isn't.

Leggette is just a lot more focused period. the more i look at it, the less i like the comps to Mingo and Shenault. The DK Metcalf comp seems more on target. 

• Beer 1

I am really conflicted between McConkey and Legette in this draft.  In a ‘small ball’ offense where Bryce is the ‘point guard’ and has to have the ball out of his hands in 2.7, I want McConkey, full stop.  NFL ready route running and separation, check.

Any other ‘normal’ passing scheme that employs a full route tree, and not the odd occasional deep route just to keep safeties honest, I want Legette.  Can Legette be fully utilized in a ‘small ball’ offense?  

Remember, we’re drafting to give Bryce ‘weapons’, not the best WR available when we pick.

Edited by bythenbrs
  • Pie 1

24 minutes ago, bythenbrs said:

Any other ‘normal’ passing scheme that employs a full route tree, and not the odd occasional deep route just to keep safeties honest, I want Legette.  Can Legette be fully utilized in a ‘small ball’ offense?  

this is the first year he's had any kind of route tree to work with (no fault of his). previous years he was used only on screens and sweeps. and in high school he was the "QB" because he was the most athletic on the team and that's where his small high school put the most athletic players. Ran a poo ton of yards and scored a bunch of TDs, though.

So basically he's not just an X receiver. Truth is no one knows where his limits are. Just that whatever opportunities he got he made the most of. 

I'm thinking, though, he could be used in whatever capacity we needed him to. (unless we don't get him because he went too early)

• Pie 2

On 3/29/2024 at 9:41 PM, TheBigKat said:

Didn’t he hype TMJ / Mingo?

He definitely liked Mingo, but I don't recall him being big on TMJ. I could be wrong. He WAS a big time fan of DJ Moore. He was right.