• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corral dropping a dime

16 minutes ago, top dawg said:

QBs that throw more INTs than TDs are NOT going to start in this league for any appreciable time. They are going to take the express lane to the bench. 

I KNOW there would've been plenty Huddlers talking poo about Manning. He would not have been welcomed with open arms.

Just take the L on your statement.

At the end of the day, the newer generation of coaches and execs have no patience because it is a what-can-you-do-for-me-now league. The league is prioritizing expanding the bag over developing players. If you don't learn right away, you're pretty much screwed, especially at QB. You're either thrown away or put into a box. And, in addition to that, sometimes you're just drafted by dumbasses---into a horrible situation---that don't know how to develop QBs. And, at many times, you won't even get a fair chance based upon your draft position, especially as it relates to another QB on your team that was drafted higher, so, again, that speaks back to development. Whether a QB makes it, and especially makes it big, is sometimes more about pure luck than it is the talent. That's not all the time, but it's probably more times than we care to admit.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

54 minutes ago, top dawg said:

At the end of the day, the newer generation of coaches and execs have no patience because it is a what-can-you-do-for-me-now league. The league is prioritizing expanding the bag over developing players. If you don't learn right away, you're pretty much screwed, especially at QB. You're either thrown away or put into a box. And, in addition to that, sometimes you're just drafted by dumbasses---into a horrible situation---that don't know how to develop QBs. And, at many times, you won't even get a fair chance based upon your draft position, especially as it relates to another QB on your team that was drafted higher, so, again, that speaks back to development. Whether a QB makes it, and especially makes it big, is sometimes more about pure luck than it is the talent. That's not all the time, but it's probably more times than we care to admit.

Sometimes it's a combination of that. Then sometimes the QB just stinks or doesn't have the drive to be great despite all necessary talent available. For a most recent example. Which we are familiar with. See Sam Darnold.

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Sometimes it's a combination of that. Then sometimes the QB just stinks or doesn't have the drive to be great despite all necessary talent available. For a most recent example. Which we are familiar with. See Sam Darnold.

I agree, but unlike some others, Darnold has had lots of opportunities, and he has in many ways benefitted from his draft stratus. 

By the way, I wouldn't say that he "stinks," but I don't believe that he'll ever be great. In my opinion, he's a legit bust, but he's also a legit backup.

If Corral continues to play like he did Saturday, he'll end up as someone's 3rd QB.  He had a couple of good throws, and his interception was more on the receiver than him.  Receivers should catch those throws 99 out of 100.  

Our team was a mess with terrible leadership and crappy offense.  

This is probably the best situation for him to get a little experience in professional football.  Granted no one on these squads made an NFL roster but the talent level is still higher than a college level team.  

It will be interesting to see who grabs him after the season is complete, providing he continues to play well. 

6 hours ago, top dawg said:

I think Corral’s situation fits the luck/no luck scenario. Happens all the time. I look at a 3rd for a QB about like a 5th gambling on a average position player. Like, I consider that cheap cost to come away with a shot at a starter. 

53 minutes ago, Move the Panthers to Raleigh said:

I was not a fan of MC, but damn, Bryce has lowered my standards so much I would take him back right now

At least you don't need to take MC off the field for qb sneaks or hail mary's. Trading up for a dude that takes away 1/3 of a playbook was wild

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

At least you don't need to take MC off the field for qb sneaks or hail mary's. Trading up for a dude that takes away 1/3 of a playbook was wild

If 1/3 of a playbook is sneak and hail mary you need a new playbook.

I get it but this thread is getting a little absurd with the Corall revisionist love fest and hyperbole.

Edited by csx
  • Pie 4
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, csx said:

I get it but this thread is getting a little absurd with the Corall revisionist love fest and hyperbole.

Sorry I forgot to type any throws past 20 yards or running play action under center. You know I didn't mean sneaks and hail mary's are 1/3 of a playbook

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, csx said:

There have always been a couple of disgruntled people over the breaks he didn’t get. 

But he looked like poo when I saw him on an NFL field. So I wasn’t that upset about it, though I had thought we would get better from him. Blah blah excuses about crappy linemen. You still have a job to do. 

So he wasn’t ready. Now he looks okay apparently but vs inferior competition people want to cut him slack. Inferior competition. Like most of the players in the SEC that won’t  make NFL rosters. 

Still, Young wasn’t much better than Corral would have been, if he is even as good. Very poor excuse for a franchise QB, either one of them. still, keep them coming until you hit. 

1 hour ago, csx said:

I don't believe it's hyperbolic or absurd to say that Corral got a raw deal here. Hell, it was said plenty at the time. He didn't get an appreciable shot and certainly wasn't developed in any serious manner. And to be frank, it's a little hyperbolic to suggest that there is some love fest going on in the thread. if anything it's akin to an ironic lamentation based upon spending all we spent on Young, dumping Corral, realizing that the return on investment in Young amounted to pennies on the dollar and not unlike what many envisioned we could've gotten by giving Corral the same opportunity, and then seeing Corral make a pass that Young hasn't even proven that he's been able to make since he's been in the NFL. 

Honestly, it's almost funny. 

• Pie 1