• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Xavier Legette and Peyton Wilson 33 and 39

51 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

Canales gets his Doug Baldwin at 33 with Ladd McConkey and Morgan gets the next great Panthers linebacker with Payton Wilson at 39. 

Love both players. But both have legitimate injury concerns. That would be a risky top of the draft for the black cats. 

21 hours ago, Bear Hands said:

It's not just about getting separation against man coverage, but it's having the quickness from the jump to beat zone these days.  You need guys that square up against modern NFL defenses.   

Legette has great, and I mean great, top-speed for his size and is a fun as hell watch.  You throw on a highlight reel and it makes sense why people like the guy.  His story is also super emotional and am super happy that he was able to break out in his 5th year after nothing his first 4 (even with a sh*t offense)

However, Legette ranks dead last in his grading vs. zone in the entire draft class.  That and the scary low YPRR are things that advanced metric junkies are for good reason are quite nervous.  And you can see the stiffness in his hips when watching him work quicker out routes.  Those mid to short patterns where you need to break away quickly, he just isn't there/it's not refined yet with his skills. Sure, we got Dionte, but it would be foolish to treat this as a checklist type situation.  We need ready talent with upside that can immediately help Bryce.  

When it comes to getting NFL open under a diverse route tree, I just have a hard time seeing it with Legette and he will need time to develop. Doesn't mean he can't acclimate, but there's some clear development needed.  

He's got the aggressive get-the-ball mentality and hand-catching down for his posts/corners, but right now, you may need to slow drip anything other than posts, corner, and deep crossing routes.  Thing is,  those get open far less of the time in the big leagues.  It's something easier said than done and what guys can bully college DBs with.   

You're just not using him to beat zone defenses and slowly beat a team into submission.  Something we need to do with Bryce.  We're not some big play offense with a superstar QB chucking balls downfield.  We need guys who can operate quick slants, shallow crosses, be part of this balanced-Carroll type offense.     

So--I don't see him making sense for us.  Too many question marks, first real year of any sort of production.  Shows some great promise as an X in the mold of an AJ Brown with a lot more development needed.  I'll eat it if he turns up great, but I'm nervous as heck with him for THIS team.  Like him as prospect, not for our situation.    

Straight from Greg Cosell:

"There were also snaps when he lined up offset in the backfield. Legette predominantly ran movement routes: slant-glance routes, vertical routes, crossers and over concepts that maximized his linear speed and minimized his tight core.

Legette was featured on shallow crossers and drive routes in South Carolina’s pass game. He was also used on jet sweeps, which got him moving with his build up speed and size being a factor."

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Straight from Greg Cosell:

"There were also snaps when he lined up offset in the backfield. Legette predominantly ran movement routes: slant-glance routes, vertical routes, crossers and over concepts that maximized his linear speed and minimized his tight core.

Legette was featured on shallow crossers and drive routes in South Carolina’s pass game. He was also used on jet sweeps, which got him moving with his build up speed and size being a factor."

Yeah motions and misdirects that have him gaining speed before the snap definitely help and you can use him a bit in the sweeps where he gets the ball quickly. Totally get that, I probably went to hard into the critique in that slot role.

But beating zone on the outside - it’s not in his arsenal yet. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

Neither one might be available if this prognostication is correct.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yardbarker.com/general_sports/articles/amp/2024_nfl_draft_predicting_this_years_surprise_first_round_picks/s1_17304_40190111

Some people are worried about Diggs. Well, in theory, that trade could have implications for us during the draft.

I don't think Xavier would be their replacement for Diggs. I think guys like McConkey and Mitchell will be their targets. 

1 hour ago, Bear Hands said:

Yeah motions and misdirects that have him gaining speed before the snap definitely help and you can use him a bit in the sweeps where he gets the ball quickly. Totally get that, I probably went to hard into the critique in that slot role.

But beating zone on the outside - it’s not in his arsenal yet. 

Sounds a lot like Deebo to me. I can see that. 

Bottom line here is these 2 picks should either be WR and the Defensive BPA, or the same 2 picks including a trade down if someone gives a very nice deal to move up.  We aren't desperate at any single position now thanks to a solid FA on paper, so we don't need to overpay for anyone.

If theres really 8 receivers taken first round as some speculate then sit there at 33 and take another position with a huge grin.

Edited by csx
  • Pie 2

On 4/1/2024 at 3:31 PM, CRA said:

that doesn’t feel like BPA drafting…

Leggette should be a 3rd pick and the other guy has an injury history just too big to ignore 

Leggette 3rd round? Wut?

7 minutes ago, csx said:

Clempsun fan

1. He played at USC, so you just affirmed you know nothing about the guy and still have an opinion. 

2. I'm a UNC fan. 

Edited by Mol3m4n