• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Would you risk early pick on Peyton Wilson?

Jmac

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

First off, good thread topic.  He has had 2 ACL injuries and I think he has had something with his shoulder, based on the brace he wears.  having said that, I know of an NFL LB that once had 3 ACL injuries and I wanted to cut him.  I think his name was Davis.

Morgan has made comments about him and I expect him to be there at 39.  I would say there is a good chance that he is a Panther.  Dan wants an intelligent Alpha in the middle and the Panthers have a long tradition of ILBs.  Luke and Dan were probably our best and they were QBs on defense.  Beason was too little, Mills was too little--both turned out to be studs.   

Jewell and thompson are nearly 30.  We don't have a lot behind them.  I expect the pick to be Wilson if he is there at 39.

I have spoken.

You get out of mind and stop stealing my post before I do!!111!!!!

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

No. High injury risk and relatively low positional value.

Came here to say this. Love the player but not in the 2nd and definitely not in the position we are in as a franchise.

I can justify it in the late second or early third as a BPA pick. 

All that said, if he stays healthy, it might be one of those "Look at all the teams that passed on this guy!" kind of picks.

Trey Smith still haunts me.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Mistuh Jones said:

I thought we were all talking BPA? If he's there and no one we like better (not reaching for a need) then I'd take him, because with this D Line on paper, he would be absolutely feasting out there, and a long term solution to 1/3rd of the linebacker issue is locked up for a lil bit. I say that while still thinking there BET not be a WR we love sitting there. BPA but what we need are weapons first and foremost. Defense can be improved later 

I hear ya, but injury history has to factor into the "best player" equation.   In other words, if he and Edge Cooper (Tex AM) were equal in every way, I would go with Edge--he would be the "best" player.  I can say that after Wilson, the quality of play drops off quite a bit--if all players are healthy.  I think we'd take Edge and Colson from Michigan if we had too--Gray (UNC) is more of a WLB--and he is probably on the table too.

8 minutes ago, ColumbusCounty said:

His talent screams 1st

Medical screams 3rd

If he's still there at 39....ofcourse

At 33....he'll have competition vs our other prioritized needs.

I am with you on this.  If we trade back to about 45-50, sounds more appealing, of course, but I think Morgan is salivating over this guy--just a hunch  (Maybe I am getting Luke and Dan confused, but either way...)

Edited by MHS831

I get the position value concern, but State was a 3 man front and he played on the edge quite a bit so it's not like he would be sitting on the bench behind Shaq and Jewel all year. OLB is a major need and that is really thin in this draft so having someone that can at least rotate outside in certain packages would be nice

8 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Came here to say this. Love the player but not in the 2nd and definitely not in the position we are in as a franchise.

I can justify it in the late second or early third as a BPA pick. 

All that said, if he stays healthy, it might be one of those "Look at all the teams that passed on this guy!" kind of picks.

Trey Smith still haunts me.

I think its a decent chance if he's there at 33rd, he should be BPA. 

Honestly need the medical staff to weigh in, that's the true test. We got no idea if he's already got knee arthritis or if he's a young 16 year farmhands health looking knee. I still remember when James talked about ACL on Peterson's knee

BS: Are even you amazed at what Adrian Peterson has done?

JA: He has defied all odds. Somebody asked me about him a bunch of different times with all he’s been able to accomplish. My pat answer is, “If you operate on the right athlete, it makes you look pretty darn good as a physician.” Adrian was that genetic athlete who could do what he’s done. There are a few I’ve treated. One of them was Bo Jackson. Bo was a natural athlete. He didn’t have to lift weights growing up. Adrian Peterson is like that. I was a nervous wreck watching him play game after game this season. I was on the Washington Redskins’ sideline when the Vikings played them, and every time he’d get tackled I’d shudder. He’d get up and be OK. He kept on ticking and ticking. He’s amazing, absolutely amazing. He had a really good therapist working with him in Houston during the offseason, Russ Paine, and the trainer with the Minnesota Vikings (Eric Sugarman) managed him perfectly. I sent Sugarman a text saying he should be very proud.

BS: Did Peterson return a lot quicker than most athletes?

JA: Running backs don’t come back within the first year like that in the NFL. They may come back and play a little bit. They don’t do what he did. Nobody’s ever done that if you look at the statistics of players returning to the NFL. We did a study. Running backs are the hardest to get back, period. The average NFL player … only about a little over 50 percent are still playing after two years. We say we have 90 to 90-plus percent success with (knee) surgeries (in non-NFL cases). But we’re talking about playing in the NFL. It’s not 90 percent, believe me.

BS: Were you rooting for Peterson to break Dickerson’s record?

JA: Oh, hell, yeah. I was with the Redskins Sunday night. (Andrews is the team doctor for the Redskins.) We were watching him play. The training staff and everybody was glued to the TV in the locker room. Can you imagine nine yards during the season he could have picked up? That’s an unbelievable accomplishment.

BS: Is Peterson fully recovered or technically still healing?

JA: I asked Sugarman how his knee was doing. He said (Peterson is) beat up in a couple of other areas but the knee was absolutely perfect. I say an athlete after ACL is much better the second year back than the first year back. First year back is a wash. It hasn’t been a wash for him, obviously. After 24 months, (an athlete is) a lot more mature and confident. Who knows? Adrian may be better next year than this year.

BS: He said he wants to gain 2,500 yards next season.

JA: He might do it, too.

BS: What did you tell Peterson after surgery?

JA: I said, “Hey man, you’re fixed. Go after it

I can not find it, but he also said Peterson knee showed NO wear and tear, unreal for a NFLer. Who knows what Payton's knees looked like before and after. 

23 minutes ago, ColumbusCounty said:

His talent screams 1st

Medical screams 3rd

If he's still there at 39....ofcourse

At 33....he'll have competition vs our other prioritized needs.

I would not be surprised if some teams have him off their board completely. Depends on team doctor judgement with him, its almost 100% of the reason. 

3 hours ago, Manna said:

I would. The greatest middle linebackers in Panther history have all had issues with injury, effectively ending all their careers (Morgan, Beason, Luke). He'd fit right in so long as he can be effective when healthy and be mostly available. 

That’s exactly why Wilson should be a no though. 

Luke, TD and an Beason are all examples of how extremely brutal ILB is on the body. And they didn’t come in to the league with injures from head to toe…. like Wilson is about to.