• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft a QB or Nix the idea?

If Penix falls I say take him. Otherwise trade for more draft capital if all the WR's are off the board at 33. Take the BPA at 39. Let the chips fall where they fall with Bryce. I'm not sold on him.

Edited by Bigdaddy8523
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Jackie Lee said:

Hope is not broken mentally and will rebound and have a good season.  He has to know that he has no excuses after this offseason.  He is a very likeable person, so I wish him the best.

• Pie 3

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Hope is not broken mentally and will rebound and have a good season.  He has to know that he has no excuses after this offseason.  He is a very likeable person, so I wish him the best.

Dunno about likeable yet, seemed entitled last year. We'll see what he can do. Not impressed with how he handled the offseason so far, and it should be pretty obvious if the new coach is coddling him per Teppers requests pretty soon. Don't sense the Dan Morgan Dawg mantra in the guy

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Not impressed with how he handled the offseason so far

Bryce has had like 2-3 public appearances since the season ended. Are you wanting him to do some sort of media tour?

Edited by CmC2k

Bryce will be our opening week starter for at least the next 2 years. The 2025 QB draft class looks really weak so the earliest we'd draft a new QB would be 2026. You could maybe bring in a vet to compete with Bryce next off-season if he shows absolutely no improvement this year but giving up on Bryce this soon is just being irrational. 

1 hour ago, CmC2k said:

Bryce has had like 2-3 public appearances since the season ended. Are you wanting him to do some sort of media tour?

It's clearly not rational. He's just decided not to like anything about him. . 

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Dunno about likeable yet, seemed entitled last year. We'll see what he can do. Not impressed with how he handled the offseason so far, and it should be pretty obvious if the new coach is coddling him per Teppers requests pretty soon. Don't sense the Dan Morgan Dawg mantra in the guy

What is he supposed to be doing?

On 4/5/2024 at 10:10 AM, MHS831 said:

3 weeks til we go on the clock.  As you all know, during these days of speculation and roster analysis, I tend to throw stuff out there--the things you don't talk about at parties, but you need me on that wall.  Where was I?....Oh, someone said something that I think could warrant discussion, especially amongst all you Bryce haters. 

• Point:  Canales said he was going to build an offense to play to Young's strengths.  He is true to his word--did it before.'
  • Point:  The Panthers interviewed/met with Bo Nix at the Combine.
  • Point:  Canales never said there would be no "Plan B," and he never said that they were "all in" on Bryce.
  • Point:  The Broncos are interested.
  • Point:  The QB crop does not look great for 2025.

NFL Network Description of Nix (6'2", 215):  Rare five-year starting quarterback whose play has matured in front of our eyes. Nix displays the accuracy, arm talent and athleticism consistent with today’s brand of pro quarterback. He can be punctual in getting the ball out at the top of his drop or he can work through progressions and beat defenses with second-reaction plays. He throws with good velocity and puts the ball on the money when throwing on the move. Nix has shown great improvement with his pocket poise. He’s capable of moving the sticks as a scrambler or as part of the running game. Some of his gaudy production has been driven by the Oregon offense’s design, but his talent clearly stands out. I’ve harbored bias from watching the overwhelmed version of Nix during his Auburn days, but as the saying goes, “tape don’t lie.” Nix appears more than ready to attack the league with an NFL-caliber skill set.

• Point:  The NFL Network claims that Nix has the skills to be a "plus starter" in this league.
  • Point:  There are successful QBs who have benefited from lots of starting experience in college.  One played in Super Bowl.
  • Point:  The NFL Network site compared Nix to Tony Romo.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bo-nix/32004e49-5811-8212-6abe-fc1a8b4f4942

QUESTION: Would you pull the trigger at 33 and take a WR at 39?   I need the truth.  We will call drafting Nix a "code red."  Would you order the code red?

Just say No, to Bo. I'm an Auburn fan. Guy was a headcase at Auburn. Doesn't handle pressure well and cried about fans being mean to him. Hard pass.

• Pie 3

4 hours ago, amcoolio said:

Absolutely not, if Bryce sucks we will just take a QB next year which means we just wasted the 33rd pick on a QB

While I get that a season can produce some names at QB, if the 2025 draft were today, do you know the QBs who would be on the list? 

Nix and probably Penix would probably have been the top QBs in some draft (See Pickett, Kenny et. al)

• Pie 1

I hope everyone realizes that when I throw a thread like this out, I am not condoning or supporting the topic.  I play Devil's advocate at times--like the TMJ thread and this one.  I simply want to generate some discussions and hear ideas and thoughts.  Mostly my perspective is affirmed, but I am not always on board with the majority.  For example, I am undecided on Bryce.  Why?  The college team I played on was very good--and the QB was a stud.  However, at practice, the backups who seemed to pretty much suck (I caught passes and was on the second team;  throws were often behind me, over my head, out of bounds, etc).  We usually scrimmaged vs. the first team defense.  However, when the starting QB was sick, the second team QB stepped in that week and threw dimes vs. the second team defense.  What changed?  I know there is a difference between college and pros, but that experience made me realize how important the OL is. Canales and Morgan get it.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

If you want to bring in a QB for competition why not bring back Corral who is now playing in the USFL .  He is getting experience with former NFL players and knows the Panthers  .  He would not cost much and give us  a possible backup QB .