• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Draft a QB or Nix the idea?

3 weeks til we go on the clock.  As you all know, during these days of speculation and roster analysis, I tend to throw stuff out there--the things you don't talk about at parties, but you need me on that wall.  Where was I?....Oh, someone said something that I think could warrant discussion, especially amongst all you Bryce haters. 

• Point:  Canales said he was going to build an offense to play to Young's strengths.  He is true to his word--did it before.'
  • Point:  The Panthers interviewed/met with Bo Nix at the Combine.
  • Point:  Canales never said there would be no "Plan B," and he never said that they were "all in" on Bryce.
  • Point:  The Broncos are interested.
  • Point:  The QB crop does not look great for 2025.

NFL Network Description of Nix (6'2", 215):  Rare five-year starting quarterback whose play has matured in front of our eyes. Nix displays the accuracy, arm talent and athleticism consistent with today’s brand of pro quarterback. He can be punctual in getting the ball out at the top of his drop or he can work through progressions and beat defenses with second-reaction plays. He throws with good velocity and puts the ball on the money when throwing on the move. Nix has shown great improvement with his pocket poise. He’s capable of moving the sticks as a scrambler or as part of the running game. Some of his gaudy production has been driven by the Oregon offense’s design, but his talent clearly stands out. I’ve harbored bias from watching the overwhelmed version of Nix during his Auburn days, but as the saying goes, “tape don’t lie.” Nix appears more than ready to attack the league with an NFL-caliber skill set.

• Point:  The NFL Network claims that Nix has the skills to be a "plus starter" in this league.
  • Point:  There are successful QBs who have benefited from lots of starting experience in college.  One played in Super Bowl.
  • Point:  The NFL Network site compared Nix to Tony Romo.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/bo-nix/32004e49-5811-8212-6abe-fc1a8b4f4942

QUESTION: Would you pull the trigger at 33 and take a WR at 39?   I need the truth.  We will call drafting Nix a "code red."  Would you order the code red?

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Just now, Mother Grabber said:

if Nix is there at 33 and we can turn it into a haul of picks, i’d rather have that.

Denver is rumored to want him, but they pick around #12.  Without a second round selection, I would not be surprised to see them over-draft him.  If they do not, however, we could probably get a future first rounder and their third rounder this year for him.  Just spit balling--have not heard that.

If he's there, I think you have to take a serious, serious look at taking him, unless one of the other shining stars in the draft has somehow fallen. 

But yeah. even the starting QB position can't be considered as a lock by anyone on our roster right now. Having two suitors for a franchise QB roll could be a very good thing.

Sure couldn't get any worse, right?

• Pie 1

I'd hate this. Pick 33 and 39 need to be guys for this year. If we suck again and are picking again in the top 5 next year. We'd have Carson Beck, Quinn Ewers, Shedeur Sanders, and Drew Allar to choose again next cycle.

• Pie 3

20 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It makes sense to take one from a roster building perspective.  But from a team culture perspective, using a pick that early is basically a vote of no confidence in Bryce.

Not really. This is the NFL and guys get hurt or outplayed by someone else. If Nix or any other QB pick gets drafted and is a serious threat to BY's job, or beats him out for starter, then we already have the answer about BY. If Nix, McCarthy, or another QB we think is the BPA is there, pull the trigger. Having 2 capable QBs is not a bad thing. Love rode the bench behind Rodgers for years, and it gave the Packers the flexibility to move on from Rodgers when the time was right. This should be about creating a better team overall. Draft capital is a spent asset. Put the best player on the field, every game, regardless if they're drafted 1st, 33rd or not drafted at all. 

Edited by SmokinwithWilly

49 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

It makes sense to take one from a roster building perspective.  But from a team culture perspective, using a pick that early is basically a vote of no confidence in Bryce.

Cannot overstate how big this comment is - if you draft a QB at 33 you should go ahead and cut BY.  You would destroy his confidence instantly and possibly his career in Carolina or beyond.  He would be useless to us even as a backup.  He would most likely request a trade the very next day and sit out camp.

• Pie 1

Can’t say I’m wild about Nix but I wouldn’t immediately hate it. I DO prefer to just draft complimentary pieces for whomever we draft as our new QB next year, but if they’re sold on someone this year, I’ll wait and see how it plays out before saying how I felt all along 😂 But if I’m taking someone at 33 that might be there, I’d probably prefer Penix to Nix. 

• Pie 1