• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

PFF Day 2 WR projection. Different take

Xavier Legette, Ladd McConkey, Xavier Worthy, and Keon Coleman are names you’ve heard time and time again as possibilities at the top of the second round for the Carolia Panthers. Most project Carolina to walk out of the draft with one of those top receivers, but there’s also a chance they could double dip and select two weapons for Bryce Young.

According to Dalton Wasserman of Pro Football Focus,

Oregon’s Troy Franklin

is one of the best fits for Carolina on day two of the 2024 NFL Draft.

Carolina owned the lowest deep receiving grade in the NFL last season. 

Oregon’s Troy Franklin was one of college football’s premier deep threats over the past two years. He finished 2023 with a 99.1 deep receiving grade. The Panthers' acquisition of Diontae Johnson gave them a weapon in the short game, but Franklin’s long speed would be a constant threat to deep safeties for the long haul.”

Franklin’s draft range is anywhere from the middle of the second round to middle of the third, so if Carolina were to end up with the former Duck it’s probably in a trade back scenario or at the top of the third at No. 65.

In 13 games this past season, Franklin recorded 81 receptions for 1,383 yards and 14 touchdowns.

• Pie 2

Franklin did this on the West Coast against some of the weakest defenses of the Power 5. 

I don’t really know at this point since it’s been made so muddy but if I was forced to bet my life savings on 3 most likely to go to us I would say: Legette, Mitchell, McKonkey. 

Part of me also thinks that they will go C/CB or CB/Edge or maybe LB the first 2 picks and take a R3 WR.

• Pie 4

Seems like Troy isn't a great route runner. He can run routes but doesn't use much head and sharp cuts to create separation. He relies on speed to get open. His strength is down the field play. Med cross routes, post routes, and fades. Would need some time to learn new techniques in route running, but knows how to run the wr route tree. At pick 39, he would be a safe pick. 

Edited by Byrdman4real
  • Pie 1

I loved watching him the past 2 seasons and was a big fan of his and Odunze headed into the season.  Then Odunze blew up beyond comprehension.  

So I'm saying this as a fan - I do have some reservations.  

He caught 3 of 26 tight window targets outside the numbers in 2023.  So, when he had a stickier CB or was displaced, he didn't beat them or come down with it.  Compare this to another outside target like Polk (who's a notch slower), and there's a guy who was physical and able to pull the ball in while being disrupted and through contact.  

Franklin could be a nasty vertical threat, but it's a notable flaw and you don't want a one-dimensional guy this high. 

You can see it in his upper body.  This also was made VERY apparent in the gauntlet drill at the combine--it wasn't pretty.  He would also would have random drops out of nowhere on what should be sure-thing catches.  He just doesn't seem to trust his hands as much as other WRs.  He would go from looking like a 1st rounder one play, to MV-S the next.

So he's exciting, gets vertical, but it's a gamble for how he fares man-man against pro-level comp.  He did add meat over the offseason (was up to 183 lbs from 176 at his pro day) and maintained his combine speed. So maybe this kid adds muscle and thrives.  Would be damn exciting that's for sure, but could be frustrating at times.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

My favorite WRs are Franklin, Worthy, and A.Mitchell. 

Not a popular take I guess. Almost everyone else is lusting over the Mingo clone.

I’ve officially over analyzed them all and don’t know who I like anymore ha. AD, Ladd, Polk, Pearsall, Malik Wash, & Baker are who I’m preferential to right now. 

• Beer 2

29 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

My favorite WRs are Franklin, Worthy, and A.Mitchell. 

Not a popular take I guess. Almost everyone else is lusting over the Mingo clone.

You remember the "Mingo clone" remark when Legette goes to some place like KC and is tearing it up. 

• Pie 1

15 hours ago, Byrdman4real said:

Seems like Troy isn't a great route runner. He can run routes but doesn't use much head and sharp cuts to create separation. He relies on speed to get open. His strength is down the field play. Med cross routes, post routes, and fades. Would need some time to learn new techniques in route running, but knows how to run the wr route tree. At pick 39, he would be a safe pick. 

Kinda sounds like a Ted Ginn

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1