• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers plan to revisit signing Stephon Gilmore after draft

I might target former 2017 first rounder Adoree' Jackson (We like CBs named Jackson) who is 28.  He had a down year in 2023, but before that, he has been solid most of the time--

Steven Nelson (31) Houston had 4 picks last year and has been pretty solid. 

I am not sure I would target one CB and wait for an answer--we need them in here for OTAs. 

(Some of these veterans, like Favre at the end of his career, will hold out or not sign until after camp--that is good for the veteran player, but for team chemistry and mentoring, it is not ideal.)

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

19 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I might target former 2017 first rounder Adoree' Jackson (We like CBs named Jackson) who is 28.  He had a down year in 2023, but before that, he has been solid most of the time--

Steven Nelson (31) Houston had 4 picks last year and has been pretty solid. 

I am not sure I would target one CB and wait for an answer--we need them in here for OTAs. 

(Some of these veterans, like Favre at the end of his career, will hold out or not sign until after camp--that is good for the veteran player, but for team chemistry and mentoring, it is not ideal.)

I was thinking Adoree too. I don't want to fixate on one specific guy, just go get the best cost option for this year and roll with it

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, jb2288 said:

I was thinking Adoree too. I don't want to fixate on one specific guy, just go get the best cost option for this year and roll with it

If all 5 of our CBs had the last name "Jackson" wonder what we could call all 5 Jacksons? 

OK--my meds are kicking in--I am back.

• Beer 2

Posted (edited)

Jackson 5? Man that poo that was running with 5 children and making big time money.././ they were getting paid in ice cream more or less.

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

30 minutes ago, strato said:

Jackson 5? Man that poo that was running with 5 children and making big time money.././ they were getting paid in ice cream more or less.

Yep--shoulda called them the Gary Indiana Sweat Shop

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2024/05/panthers-cb-stephon-gilmore-not-close-to-deal

Carolina currently has just over $8MM in cap space, some of which will be needed to sign the team’s draft class. That will still leave sufficient funds to make a somewhat notable addition late in free agency, and Gilmore could remain a target on a low-cost arrangement. With the sides apparently not in discussion, however, it would come as a surprise if a deal were to come together in the near future. Aside from Gilmore, other free agent cornerback options include J.C. JacksonSteven NelsonAdoree’ Jackson and Patrick Peterson.

• Pie 2

There is no reason to sign Gilmore right now. Let the young guys compete behind Horn and see who steps up. Best time to sign him would be in the preseason. He will probably still be available. He’s better Horn injury insurance than a #2 starting CB.