• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Xavier Legette WR - Pick 32, Round 1

Just have realistic expectations for XL. Ladd and Mitchell will look better out the gate, but he does have the higher ceiling. He should have the better highlight reel as a rookie, but Ladd will have the stats. We'll see in 2-3 years if he was the right choice.

• Pie 1

Just now, Tr3ach said:

Trade value wise we got screwed if you use the value chart.

Absolutely not true. 

It was basically a wash.  It was 26 points on the chart.  That's completely insignificant.   

I don't love the trade decision but let's not exaggerate to try to prove a point.

8 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I really want to like this pick but JPJ was right there and could easily have been the Ryan Kalil for the next decade. 

I was thinking JPJ at 33 and best WR left (out of several good ones) at 39. But no one worries about the 5th year option on a center.

1 minute ago, Navy_football said:

Just have realistic expectations for XL. Ladd and Mitchell will look better out the gate, but he does have the higher ceiling. He should have the better highlight reel as a rookie, but Ladd will have the stats. We'll see in 2-3 years if he was the right choice.

That's sort of been the story of us recently. Shooting for the moon and falling into the ocean instead. 

The trade up was just stupid. But, we will see if the player is worthwhile. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Tr3ach said:

Hes most likely gone after this season.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  But that shouldn't influence this decision.   We have him now though.

You guys that dislike Bryce, always criticize his arm strength.   In that mindset, he needs a quick separator type and somebody that can take a short pass and turn it into a long TD.  Well, now we have both.

Diontae Johnson is our WR1 this year, you all should get it straight. He's one of the best route runners in the game. Thielen is a technician route runner too and will be in the slot as security. We already know Bryce will feed him if he needs to. Legette is going to be a 3rd option behind them and will strain the defense and make some big plays for us while he develops into an all around receiver. This is a great spot for him to grow with those guys. Now, if we didn't have Johnson this would be a scarier pick, but currently I think hes a great fit for the context of our WR room.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Lol

The 5th year option is arguably more valuable with WRs than any other position, so trading up one spot will be well worth it if XL ends up working out for us.

TBH, I like him as a player but I'd have preferred Ladd McConkey due to his route running ability. However, Dave Canales has helped develop a similar prospect to XL in D.K. Metcalf in the past and XL does have higher upside than Ladd, IMO.

Plus, there's always the chance we double-dip and take Ladd tonight.

Edited by Jay Roosevelt
  • Beer 2

Just now, Ship said:

Diontae Johnson is our WR1 this year, you all should get it straight. He's one of the best route runners in the game. Thielen is a technician route runner too and will be in the slot as security. We already know Bryce will feed him if he needs to. Legette is going to be a 3rd option behind them and will strain the defense and make some big plays for us while he develops into an all around receiver. This is a great spot for him to grow with those guys. Now, if we didn't have Johnson this would be a scarier pick, but currently I think hes a great fit for the context of our WR room.

The WR room is honestly pretty solid and diverse now.

You have:

1. quick twitch/route runner (Johnson)

2.  security blanket with solid hands (Thelein)

3. big physical playmaker (XL)

4. pure speed in ISM.  But his hands and route running sucks.

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

separating the argument if XL was worth 32(or 33) how the fug were they going to lose him if they didnt trade up?   Such panicky behavior that I have grown accustomed to with this dumb fuging team. 

Buffalo was in need of a WR, and after Pearsall was drafted, the Panthers may have figured that a team needing a WR (like the Panthers, for example) could trade up with Buffalo to get the fifth year option at the end of the first round.  Look at the teams picking early in the second round and look at the big board.  There is going to be a run on WRs.  This not only provided the Panthers with the fifth-year option, but it assured them that nobody was going to deal with Buffalo, and Buffalo was not going to take Legette.  So Bean decided to upgrade his day three sixth rounder to a fifth, and Morgan got his guy and the fifth year option.  Win Win.  Obviously Buffalo was open for business, so if you consider the fact that Buffalo might have been getting calls for the pick, Morgan switched places with Buffalo.  It is likely that Buffalo did not want to drop farther than 33, so they dealt with Carolina--dealing with anyone else would risk losing Mitchell, the guy they probably covet (or Ladd).  The ONLY team who was assured they are not going to lose their guy is Buffalo.  I am not sure this deal goes down unless Morgan tells Bean who he was going to take and that Beane trusted Morgan's word. 

After pick 33....

• Pick 34.  New England needs a receiver.
  • Pick 36.  Washington needs a receiver.
  • Pick 37.  Chargers need multiple receivers.
  • Pick 44.  Raiders need a receiver.
  • Pick 45. Saints need a receiver.

The NFL Draft ESPN Big board for "Best Remaining" Players features 3 Wide Receivers in the next 7 picks.  I am guessing that Buffalo wants Mitchell, and when the Panthers decided to go with Legette, they were willing to deal.

image.png

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 2

7 minutes ago, FattyFatFat said:

I actually wanted BPA at 33 preferably a center. Maybe a WR at 39. Ladd Mcconkey is just the answer to your question of who is more polished than XL. 

As a fan of this team for over 20 years I can say without uncertainty that this move is short sighted and made based off of fear. It’s not the obligatory 5th we gave up that I care about, it’s the philosophy of the move. We’ve made moves like this for the past 5 years. And no, I don’t trust this staff to make the correct decisions when it comes to the draft because since Tepper has taken over our drafts have been dog poo. 

I hope I’m wrong. I always hope I’m wrong when I think a move we make is crap. Turns out though the majority of the moves weve made under Tepper are indeed crap. I get it if Leggette is your guy. But this organization lost my trust years ago. 

This team once again got tunnel vision on one guy.

This might be my biggest issue with the trade.

It points to the same behavior that led us to drafting the fewest prospects in the league over the past 3 years.

They need to let the draft come to them and stop chasing ‘their guys’.

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That's sort of been the story of us recently. Shooting for the moon and falling into the ocean instead. 

The trade up was just stupid. But, we will see if the player is worthwhile. 

Yeah, I don't think the trade up was worth it. I mean aren't you paying him more on his rookie contract because he was drafted in the 1st round vs the 2nd? Will the fifth year option will cover the difference in net present value?

I think XL will be more exciting than Ladd or AD. At this point, I don't want exciting. I want consistency at the position. We'll see. Probably the better deep ball and jump ball option of the 3.

• Beer 1