• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Xavier Legette WR - Pick 32, Round 1

1 minute ago, jamos14 said:

Anecdotal but two of the best WRs in the league currently.   AJ Brown and DK Metcalf.

And our HC/OC were DK's position coaches that developed him.

DK was taken at the tail end of the 2nd round and with other proven receivers still on the roster. Different risk profile. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I don't know.  I feel the Bills kind of played themselves.  They gave the Chiefs the player they wanted and then moved down a pick to get what?  An extra 5th?  Why not just take your guy there?

They're losing the arms race to KC

It's been mentioned WR4-15 this year is all over the place team to team.  The Bills may feel comfortable with the ones they're targeting...or have something else in mind.  Beane is usually very pointed and deliberate with his draft moves so we'll see what happens tonight.

6 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

How often do these extremely raw route runners coming out of college work out?

As much as I like Legette's accent, I'm fatigued of going after this archetype.  Here's another question to run down.

How many Super Bowl winners have a guy like DK Metcalf?

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, top dawg said:

That is mostly wrong and let me tell you why. Shenault is no where in the vicinity as far as playing speed. He doesn't have near the acceleration. But...the main reason why they are different is that Shenault has poor ball tracking skills, while X has exceptional ball tracking skills, which consequently allows him to win those 50-50 balls. It also means that X is a legitimate threat down field, but Shenault is relegated to plays within five yards of the line of scrimmage. So X will be able to do what Shenault can, but Shenault can't do what X can. 

XL doesnt have grear acceleration either.  He didnt do any agility drills and his 10 yard split was 60th percentile.  He is faster over long distances in a straight line though.  I will give you that.

9 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Leggette did something Marshall and Mingo-and McConkey-never did-and produced at a high level, especially as a true number one.

the comparison isn’t really that good. That said, if you still wanna make it, the counter point is obvious: as others have pointed out, there are guys working out. Teams taking great prospects who need refinement, developing them, and reaping the massive dividends that comes from that over taking a polished but lesser physical talent.

were the only team it hasn’t worked out for and that can’t continue, black cat mascot jokes and all 

Edited by Growl

3 minutes ago, KSpan said:

In today's NFL you don't draft in the first and second rounds for development. That's a recipe for failure. Maybe you miss on players, but those guys have to come in and make an impact from day 1. Doesn't mean they won't still improve, but if they aren't able to contribute right away then that hurts a team in most cases.

That said, I agree with you that no one here has really developed in many years. Perhaps that changes with this staff.

Um, yes you do. Isn't saying they drafted "for development" a case of you putting words in my mouth?  Aren't  you assuming that "developmental" means that he can't contribute from day 1?  There is no recipe for drafting players; if you could bottle it, I am sure all GMs would buy it-you are pretending to know what nobody knows.  That said, Name a player in this draft who was available at 32 who does not need development?  

But to assume that I understand your intent--you think that drafting raw talent with limited experience is not as good as someone who has demonstrated their full potential, correct?  With that, the term "ceiling" is applicable, and you are saying that a player with a limited ceiling (because their skills were measurable and nobody drafted them until 32) is more valuable than a player with a higher ceiling. 

The draft is mining for talent, and diamonds do not come out of the mine already cut and set in gold.  Coach em up. 

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Maybe, but who's the hot name that's going to pull that?  Why didn't a team pay a fortune to move up at the end of the 1st?  There are no QBs left.

Yeah the draft went kinda weird last night.  Not sure that big haul is on the board anymore. 

atlsnta really fuged up the draft, and themselves. 

With some fresh perspective this morning - he's got mad untapped potential, seems to really love the game, and our new HC's best success was as a WRs' coach.  So the conditions are a lot more optimal to develop guys compared to past teams of ours.  If they like him this much, let's see what they can cook up. 

Maybe we can finally hit.  

• Beer 1

9 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

DK Metcalf off the top of my head.

Justin Jefferson

2 I know who had route running listed as negative coming out. 

Peter schrager just reported we weren’t the only team trying to move up to 32, so, whereas the Bills may have called us, they called us because there was a competition for that spot. 

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Um, yes you do. Isn't saying they drafted "for development" a case of you putting words in my mouth?  Aren't  you assuming that "developmental" means that he can't contribute from day 1?  There is no recipe for drafting players; if you could bottle it, I am sure all GMs would buy it-you are pretending to know what nobody knows.  That said, Name a player in this draft who was available at 32 who does not need development?  

But to assume that I understand your intent--you think that drafting raw talent with limited experience is not as good as someone who has demonstrated their full potential, correct?  With that, the term "ceiling" is applicable, and you are saying that a player with a limited ceiling (because their skills were measurable and nobody drafted them until 32) is more valuable than a player with a higher ceiling. 

The draft is mining for talent, and diamonds do not come out of the mine already cut and set in gold.  Coach em up. 

You are the one that talked about drafting for 4-5 years, and nowhere did I say anything about drafting at 'full potential' - that is definitely not a player worth spending a 1st on (Teddy as one example). Talking about drafting for development typically means that a player has a significant weakness hindering their game and keeping them from contributing at their draft position, not that a strong player isn't yet at their ceiling, so perhaps that's not what you meant. 

In your hypothetical of course you take a player with a higher ceiling if their ability is about the same as another with lower potential. However, you need immediate contribution form a 1st round pick and not 'drafting for 4-5 years'. Regarding naming a player, I couldn't care less about college football and honestly couldn't even name a single player available in the entire draft; it's easy to understand the draft strategy concepts but it's not my job to select players. That's the team's job, and if they feel that a guy with one year of production and 80% of his college career with nothing produced at his position (looking at stats alone) is what they want then we'll find out pretty quick if they will be sinking or swimming.