• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Xavier Legette WR - Pick 32, Round 1

18 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Maybe, but who's the hot name that's going to pull that?  Why didn't a team pay a fortune to move up at the end of the 1st?  There are no QBs left.

The only players I could think of are AD Mitchell (who we probably should have taken lol) or one of the centers I'd think.

14 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

He's a player that needs development on his route running.  But he can contribute immediately as well. 

He is already the best receiver at WR screens, reverse, slant.   He is already the best KR.

He needs polishing on the rest.

This is the exact point I wanted to make.  I wasn't a Leggett guy until I looked at some film this week.  He is very good with the ball in his hands.  Panthers will find ways to use him besides running routes.

He may end up with only 25 catches for 450 yards, which will disappoint some people.  But barring injury, I suspect he will feature prominently on kickoff returns and WR sweeps.  Getting an extra 5-10 years on a KR will be big.

Kid is a hard worker.  He will eventually fine-tune his route running.

But the main thing is he is a dawg that plays hard.  He will help bring the culture change they want. 

Watch for Peyton Wilson at 39.

3 minutes ago, Growl said:

Peter schrager just reported we weren’t the only team trying to move up to 32, so, whereas the Bills may have called us, they called us because there was a competition for that spot. 

Figured they were worried about a leapfrog taking their guy.

Regardless of how you feel about Legette, the move up wasn’t bad.  If that’s your guy, they did the right thing to get him.

• Pie 1

17 minutes ago, Growl said:

Leggette did something Marshall and Mingo-and McConkey-never did-and produced at a high level, especially as a true number one.

the comparison isn’t really that good. That said, if you still wanna make it, the counter point is obvious: as others have pointed out, there are guys working out. Teams taking great prospects who need refinement, developing them, and reaping the massive dividends that comes from that over taking a polished but lesser physical talent.

were the only team it hasn’t worked out for and that can’t continue, black cat mascot jokes and all 

Only in his 5th year of college..

Just now, grimesgoat said:

This is the exact point I wanted to make.  I wasn't a Leggett guy until I looked at some film this week.  He is very good with the ball in his hands.  Panthers will find ways to use him besides running routes.

He may end up with only 25 catches for 450 yards, which will disappoint some people.  But barring injury, I suspect he will feature prominently on kickoff returns and WR sweeps.  Getting an extra 5-10 years on a KR will be big.

But the main thing is he is a dawg that plays hard.  He will help bring the culture change they want. 

A 1st rd receiver with 25 catches for 450 yards with no real competition for playtime is absolutely a disappointment in today's NFL if the offense is producing.  However, if the offense is crap again for whatever reason, then something like that may be a deceptive statline. 

• Flames 1

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

Regardless of how you feel about Legette, the move up wasn’t bad.  If that’s your guy, they did the right thing to get him.

Pretty much.  We had back to back picks in R5 anyways so swapping 141 for 200 ain't no thang.   Those are all dart throws at the back of the draft.  

• Pie 1

Just now, PNW_PantherMan said:

so obviously there’s the 5th year option point as well, I mean the whole league just watched aj brown get $100 million dollars

but it goes beyond that. They’re building a team and they’re all in on this build. Ideally, Bryce, Leggette, and #39 (and others from this class) all pan out as great players that need second contracts here

if the panthers hadn’t moved up then all three of those players would need big contracts in the same offseason 

moving up one spot, you have contract control on Leggette for an additional season and ease that burden down the road 

7 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Youre exactly right on what to expect from him.  Thats why I dont like the pick. 

4 minutes ago, Mother Grabber said:

wow, this thread took a complete 180 from after the draft ended, to now when the haters all woke up.

I honestly forgot the draft was even going on yesterday until I saw the news this morning. 

My tinfoil theory is that New England tried to jump in front of us to take XL. 

Beane, rather than trading to a division rival, called Carolina and was like hey yall want this pick because New England is offering us something. 

Carolina was like year sure. 

XL was 28 on Bill Belichicks board. That board started getting made last season, I'm sure the Patriots final board was similar