• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Xavier Legette WR - Pick 32, Round 1

10 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Strato, does everything have to come back to Bryce Young and how he limits the offense? So who was the big, speedy, jump ball WR last season for Bryce to throw to? Who was the guy that could go get the ball if you just threw it up for grabs? Who was the 50/50 receiver?

Everything goes through the QB, Navy and you know this. 

Okay I’ll bite, edit to add:

Downfield, this guy can maybe be helpful too, as he will go after that ball. And Young has been inaccurate downfield. I don’t expect that to get accurate because of Canales or two big guards (which are all positives I think), he wasn’t accurate in school either and I struggle to see that changing..

When I imagine Russel Wilson in the early days of his success I see rainbows and jump balls and had little love for that. Okay it was beating us that day but that stuff, I don’t respect it. And I have said from the jump that Bryce is like, a Wilson. 

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, Tr3ach said:

XL doesnt have grear acceleration either.  He didnt do any agility drills and his 10 yard split was 60th percentile.  He is faster over long distances in a straight line though.  I will give you that.

OK, I'll modify it a bit: he has great acceleration in a straight line. I don't see guys accelerating laterally however. I see them using quicks. Legette isn't currently that, but I don't see it as a big deal. You got to have a versatile receiving room.

12 minutes ago, strato said:

Everything goes through the QB, Navy and you know this. 

Okay I’ll bite, edit to add:

Downfield, this guy can maybe be helpful too, as he will go after that ball. And Young has been inaccurate downfield. I don’t expect that to get accurate because of Canales or two big guards (which are all positives I think), he wasn’t accurate in school either and I struggle to see that changing..

When I imagine Russel Wilson in the early days of his success I see rainbows and jump balls and had little love for that. Okay it was beating us that day but that stuff, I don’t respect it. And I have said from the jump that Bryce is like, a Wilson. 

Doesn't that fear of getting beat on 1v1s on the outside make the defense play different. As much as I've heard huddlers say defenders weren't afraid of BY's arm, I think it was more of the WRs speed, tracking, and ability to win at the point. If he goes out there and snags a jump ball or two 40+ yards downfield, you'll magically see defenses respect BY's too weak arm a little more. That'll open things up underneath where the route runners and TEs usually live. 

16 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I believe that's what they told Darnold as well...

it’s what you tell every QB because it’s generic coach speak that doesn’t mean anything

Edited by Growl

For the record, I really wanted Ladd McConkey. I think he's a Thielen 3.0. Not 2.0, but 3.0. 

But I can see their reasoning for going with XL. Schematically it makes more sense. But you WILL have to replace what Thielen and Johnson do too. And that day will likely come sooner rather than later. It's a true testament to Thielen's toughness that he caught 100 balls for 1000 yards at his age with no real threats to open things underneath for him. But you can't think he won't get injured at his age at that tick. Father time always wins. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Strato, does everything have to come back to Bryce Young and how he limits the offense? So who was the big, speedy, jump ball WR last season for Bryce to throw to? Who was the guy that could go get the ball if you just threw it up for grabs? Who was the 50/50 receiver?

this was the talk going into last year.  Health was deemed the hindrance to his career, not ability.  I think it's safe to say just watching him here, and the college numbers do back it.....the deep ball isn't really Bryce's bread and butter/game.

Assuming he’s healthy, Chark should perfectly complement Thielen’s short-to-intermediate profile. At 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds, Chark is a burner and a ball-winner.

28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't like the pick but the guy is gonna be easy to root for.

a lot might not like his unproven game, but all the intangibles points to someone you're proud to have as part of the team and who fits not just the "dawg" mindset, but the "keep pounding" persona.

Here's the thing for me. first, i've said all along that there's this good size group of 8-10 WRs from which i would have been really happy with and that i kind of just lumped in together because on the whole i didn't see much separation between. All of them brought something different to their game and all of them would bring something to the panthers that we were lacking, especially in the long term. 

Leggette is special, though, not just because of his story (even though that's part of it). What has been seen through his ball playing career is someone that had been held back in a lot of ways from getting a chance to really show what he was capable of doing or from growing into what he could become. he kept with it, though. instead of bailing on the situation like a lot of others understandably are, he stuck around and kept making the most of every opportunity he was given, playing within whatever role he was told to take on. and he proved himself within whatever parameters he was put in. 

why didn't he do in previous years what he did last year? because he was told to take on another role and play in other situations. why? because poo happens. sometimes you've got a bad QB, sometimes you've got bad coaches. sometimes both. 

on top of all that, though (and this is the best part for me), the guy wanted to be here. i mean he REALLY wanted to be here. He wants to be a panther. it means something to him. and he's going to be surrounded by some big brothers that he probably needs. A guy that knows us and still wants to be here? oh absolutely yes.

also, i doubt that Bryce's dad vote for XL to be the guy on that poll was something that he came to all on his own. it probably came from talking to his son about what and who he would want to have here helping out in the passing game. We need Bryce to work out. For that to happen, he's got to have a go to WR that he just feels comfortable with, connects to, and who will be here for a long time. In a lot of ways it seems like Bryce and Xavier couldn't be more different, but i think it would be easy to develop a lot of chemistry between the two of them. 

Xavier wants to be here and i think Bryce wants him to be here. i think it can work.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, CRA said:

this was the talk going into last year.  Health was deemed the hindrance to his career, not ability.  I think it's safe to say just watching him here, and the college numbers do back it.....the deep ball isn't really Bryce's bread and butter/game.

Assuming he’s healthy, Chark should perfectly complement Thielen’s short-to-intermediate profile. At 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds, Chark is a burner and a ball-winner.

Its fuging wild.  If bryces game is timing and precision route running then they got the absolute opposite type player.   A deep threat that is raw and has a limited route tree.   I think the kid would have been there at 39 easily.  I guess we will see how the 2nd round unfolds but the top centers are there, some good corners are still there and wr's are still there. 

36 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Who has done that in the Tepper years? That's all I'm talking about.

Well now... that changes everything. Maybe Derrick Brown? Luvu? That's all I got. 

But new GM, new HC, new OC, new cap wizard. Things can change for the best. 

• Pie 1