• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Jonathan Brooks RB - 46th Pick, Round 2

35 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Sanders is only here because his contract dictate it. He will get the majority of rotation snaps until they feel Brooks is ready to go full speed. Whenever that is Sanders will be benched unless he shows out this season. Brooks will eventually replace someone. My bet its Sanders and not Blackshear. 

Brooks was definitely BPA but I am curious how our stable plays out. Chubba deserves to be here in my opinion. He’s like a slightly more athletic Nick Goings. If Sanders shows out early I wonder if someone becomes trade bait. 

A tandem of Chubba and Brooks would be really solid. 

4 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

Brooks was definitely BPA but I am curious how our stable plays out. Chubba deserves to be here in my opinion. He’s like a slightly more athletic Nick Goings. If Sanders shows out early I wonder if someone becomes trade bait. 

A tandem of Chubba and Brooks would be really solid. 

I doubt anyone trades for any of our current RB's. Brooks is Sanders replacement in waiting. The only thing that Sanders has left to hope for is to beat out Chubba for a spot.

I think Morgan got a little too cute with the trade down from 39 to 52. Then all of a sudden Powers-Johnson and Edgerrin Cooper went off the board back to back and they panic traded back up as their board was slimming down to grab Brooks.

• Beer 1

49 minutes ago, Memphis said:

I think Morgan got a little too cute with the trade down from 39 to 52. Then all of a sudden Powers-Johnson and Edgerrin Cooper went off the board back to back and they panic traded back up as their board was slimming down to grab Brooks.

I can see this. But the fact we walked away with 3 weapons and LB to red shirt and replace Shaq next year plus getting us a 2nd next year I feel like already we could have done worse. Not screaming excitement but definitely don’t hate this draft. 

• Pie 2

There is some talk about Sanders being cut. 

Here is how I see it playing out--if you cut him post June 1 this year, you save very little.  Even though Brooks will be ready to play July 1, 2024, you might want to bring him along slowly.  With Hubbard and Miles behind the revamped OL, you can get away with it.  I might even put Brooks on IR for the first part of the season and allow Sanders and Hubbard to rotate.

You would get a fresh RB mid season.  Then you put Sanders on IR and cut him Post June 1, 2025.  That would save you $6.7m.   That is my theory.

image.thumb.png.a9be54b60dd48148f8ec344cf720ef10.png

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

There is some talk about Sanders being cut. 

Here is how I see it playing out--if you cut him post June 1 this year, you save very little.  Even though Brooks will be ready to play July 1, 2024, you might want to bring him along slowly.  With Hubbard and Miles behind the revamped OL, you can get away with it.  I might even put Brooks on IR for the first part of the season and allow Sanders and Hubbard to rotate.

You would get a fresh RB mid season.  Then you put Sanders on IR and cut him Post June 1, 2025.  That would save you $6.7m.   That is my theory.

image.thumb.png.a9be54b60dd48148f8ec344cf720ef10.png

Yup, I don't get paying guys to sit at home unless they are injured or horrible.  Sanders is a good RB, just not a #1 guy.  Pay him this year and get what production you can, then send him on his way next offseason.

• Pie 1

I'm more of a power running back kinda guy. Don't really see anything above average with this dude running through wide open gaps behind that Texas line. Game on the line and you need 1 yard I'd still rather see Chuba going 100 mph into contact

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Jackie Lee said:

I'm more of a power running back kinda guy. Don't really see anything above average with this dude running through wide open gaps behind that Texas line. Game on the line and you need 1 yard I'd still rather see Chuba going 100 mph into contact

I wanted Allen, Estime or even Guerendo.  I think Brooks will do good if our OL can get it together, but I agree he's not a power back, though.

• Beer 1

19 hours ago, Memphis said:

I mean we heard the reports pre draft that brooks was their guy 

there’s nothing to indicate center was ever in play

• Pie 1

13 minutes ago, Growl said:

I mean we heard the reports pre draft that brooks was their guy 

there’s nothing to indicate center was ever in play

The lack of centers on the top 30 official visits list should have been a tip off that it wasn't a priority.

• Beer 1

20 hours ago, Memphis said:

It was always Brooks though they did like Cooper

if Barton dropped I think it would have gone Barton then a move up for XL