• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Select Jonathan Brooks RB - 46th Pick, Round 2

31 minutes ago, CRA said:

It’s just modern day Foxball with a heavy dose of 11 personnel IMO.  

and I think what really makes it modern day Foxball. is how they pass off it.   Which is chunk plays downfield.

and Canales #1 pick is the perfect fit for what he did in Tampa.  I mean, no WR in the draft probably is a better fit for that brand of ball.   

I honestly have no idea. I only watched the two games against us and I didn't know who their OC was at the time. He looks like he's in over his head to me.

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I honestly have no idea. I only watched the two games against us and I didn't know who their OC was at the time. He looks like he's in over his head to me.

Baker lead the NFL in pass attempts of 20+ air yards.  

and it’s not hard to see how Canales gets their after all that time in Seattle. Wilson was a chuck it downfield guy. 

Only thing I don’t get in this Bryce era….is what the heck they keep pairing up.  

Maybe Canales is so young he totally creates a Bryce O.  To date, it looks like a really bad match

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Niners, Ravens, Lions, and Dolphins were in the top 5 in rushing last year. The Niners, Lions, and Dolphins are suppose to have 3 of the best play callers in the NFL. Our new coach wants to install a strong running game and people think it’s a bad thing? I’m confused…

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

Baker lead the NFL in pass attempts of 20+ air yards.  

and it’s not hard to see how Canales gets their after all that time in Seattle. Wilson was a chuck it downfield guy. 

Only thing I don’t get in this Bryce era….is what the heck they keep pairing up.  

Maybe Canales is so young he totally creates a Bryce O.  To date, it looks like a really bad match

Despite what many believe Young cane chunk it at least 50 yards. That's enough to stretch the field and about all the time he will have to get rid of the ball. His problem is his accuracy on those throws. He will need to work on thst if he wants to stay in this league. He's a rhythm qb also. Meaning that If they can't get a couple of 1st downs in a row it throws him off from what I can tell.

• Pie 1

Niners as much as I dislike KS he is a top 3 coach in the NFL we don't have that and they are also loaded with talent especially in the lines. He can guide that to a Super Bowl with a game manager. Ravens also have a damn good coach a loaded team and a dynamic QB that has to be accounted for at all times.

Lions would probably be closer to us in comparison but Goff is a damn good QB that honestly has been poo on unfairly. But he can stretch the field with his arm.

Dolphins are loaded but their passing game kept them from advancing in the playoffs and our own QB's best comp in Tua is reworking his throwing motion as a result of a dismal passing performance in their last playoff game.

Yeah it's good to have a strong running game but you still have to be able to move the chains with your arm and sooner or later in a game in different scenarios you have to put together a drive to win or take the lead and you are not going to be able to run it at will in each of those situations no matter how good your oline might be.

There's no need to dig deep to cope. We have some optimism based on the draft additions we've made. Let's apply that realistically. We still need to be able to move the ball through the air and open up the whole field. Bryce Young either accomplishes that or he doesn't.

• Beer 1

His poor run game last year is being used against him but look at the Bucs’ RBs. They’re dookie. Maybe getting a stud (even if he needs to be eased back into a full load at first) will be what makes it work. Bryce doesn’t have the accuracy for DEEP shots, but will some coaching and lots of work ge might be able to get 25-30 yarders in the vicinity of XL. Should be good enough.

Let’s wait and see how Canales works with an offense he had a hand in loading before getting too critical.  I don’t give too much credit for “turning Baker around” (he was never as bad as the media would want you to believe, they decided they weren’t going to like him from the jump like with Cam) and I’m not going to lambast him for having a bad run game or whatever. What’s important is that he’s a good HC, and how he did as a coordinator doesn’t have a 1:1 correlation with that. 

16 minutes ago, frankw said:

Niners as much as I dislike KS he is a top 3 coach in the NFL we don't have that and they are also loaded with talent especially in the lines. He can guide that to a Super Bowl with a game manager. Ravens also have a damn good coach a loaded team and a dynamic QB that has to be accounted for at all times.

Lions would probably be closer to us in comparison but Goff is a damn good QB that honestly has been poo on unfairly. But he can stretch the field with his arm.

Dolphins are loaded but their passing game kept them from advancing in the playoffs and our own QB's best comp in Tua is reworking his throwing motion as a result of a dismal passing performance in their last playoff game.

Yeah it's good to have a strong running game but you still have to be able to move the chains with your arm and sooner or later in a game in different scenarios you have to put together a drive to win or take the lead and you are not going to be able to run it at will in each of those situations no matter how good your oline might be.

There's no need to dig deep to cope. We have some optimism based on the draft additions we've made. Let's apply that realistically. We still need to be able to move the ball through the air and open up the whole field. Bryce Young either accomplishes that or he doesn't.

My point is all of these offensive geniuses want a strong running game. I don’t think our new offensive coach wanting one means we are going to John Fox run run football. A strong running game can open up the offense. 
It looks to me like he is expecting Young to test the defense with his arm as well with the additions of XL, and Sanders (who were top in college at catching passes 10 plus yards). You know Diontae is going to want his targets as well. If Young can’t do this we will just find a QB who can. 

• Beer 1

11 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

His poor run game last year is being used against him but look at the Bucs’ RBs. They’re dookie. Maybe getting a stud (even if he needs to be eased back into a full load at first) will be what makes it work. Bryce doesn’t have the accuracy for DEEP shots, but will some coaching and lots of work ge might be able to get 25-30 yarders in the vicinity of XL. Should be good enough.

Let’s wait and see how Canales works with an offense he had a hand in loading before getting too critical.  I don’t give too much credit for “turning Baker around” (he was never as bad as the media would want you to believe, they decided they weren’t going to like him from the jump like with Cam) and I’m not going to lambast him for having a bad run game or whatever. What’s important is that he’s a good HC, and how he did as a coordinator doesn’t have a 1:1 correlation with that. 

Baker wasn’t as bad as he was made out to be but look at how terrible he played in our offense. Now take away CMC and DJ Moore and put a rookie back there. Baker is a good measuring stick to show you how bad our offense had gotten after Cam left. 

21 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

My point is all of these offensive geniuses want a strong running game. I don’t think our new offensive coach wanting one means we are going to John Fox run run football. A strong running game can open up the offense. 
It looks to me like he is expecting Young to test the defense with his arm as well with the additions of XL, and Sanders (who were top in college at catching passes 10 plus yards). You know Diontae is going to want his targets as well. If Young can’t do this we will just find a QB who can. 

I agree that wanting a strong running game isn't akin to Foxball. I see nothing so far about Canales that leads me to believe he is going to be stubborn and archaic in his approach to gameplanning or playcalling. At least I hope.

Also as has always been the case a good running game is desired for a young QB.

But for us running the ball isn't going to make a significant change in our scoring output IMO. Which is the primary goal we should be setting our sights on. If we take a step or two with Canales and this new offensive group with the additions we've made it will be because Bryce Young is passing the ball like we expect of a top overall pick.

In the meantime I'll be curious to see how our undrafted rookie QB does in camp and preseason. Obviously Bryce is the starter but some competition is good for all involved.

Edited by frankw

4 hours ago, strato said:

Didn’t we used to run zone with Fox and Stephen Davis or was it later?

Annyway, I think Canales is probably well versed in more than one offensive school, but has decided to break it down and get the training wheels out. 

I don’t think it will look like Dan Henning (who I liked) when we do throw. I’m looking forward to seeing the twists he comes up with. 

I think that was with DeShaun Foster and DeAngelo Williams 

• Beer 1

18 minutes ago, csx said:

The Huddle is back!

give it enough time and itd always the same handful moaning all day everyday like they are getting paid for it 😆 

Bootlicking like you're getting paid for it isn't any better.

• Beer 1

even with Bakers “career year” the passing offense in TB was mediocre also. Sure you can cherry pick a couple stats to make it look like an explosive offense but it just wasn’t. Add to that the bottom 3rd of the league rushing attack and you get why I’m not sold on canales. You gotta prove it to me before I start handing out praise. 

• Beer 2

Posted (edited)

Anyone remember Riggo and the Hogs? They would run rough shot over today's 230lb linebackers and your $150 million edges like Burns. Maybe Canales is the Messiah. Run Riggo run, then chunk it deep for Arty Monk!

Edited by SmittysLawnGuy