• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers run ONE play on repeat

Canales will get the chance to establish an offense around what strengths he thinks Bryce has. He's obligated, or directed to do that this season. If it looks bad this season then Morgan will have to decide if Dave gave it an honest attempt before he gets the chance to do it around the qb of his choosing. That's how I see this all playing out.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, pantherj said:

We all know the NFL is set up to make it easy to pass the ball and score TDs. This season is make or break for Young imo. We need to be moving the ball through the air and score passing TDs and having fun. If it feels like a miracle to complete a medium to deep pass, or a passing TD, then your QB is not good. He has this season, and then we need to look for a QB in the 2025 draft if he poops the bed like Amber Heard. This is it.

Agreed. I'm just saying that I have no statistical yardsticks I'm putting up. I don't really care what the stats and wins say. I care about what he LOOKS like. Even if we suck and the stats don't look great I want to see him making the lost of what's out there. Last year the offense overall sucked but it also very much felt like Bryce was a big part of the suck. There weren't many plays where you felt like "oh thank God we had Bryce Young at QB there to make chicken salad out of chicken poo". We saw that a handful of times all last year maybe. With a promising rookie QB in a bad situation you're going to see that a handful of times every week. You can get a game's worth of highlights out of Bryce's entire rookie season.

• Pie 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Agreed. I'm just saying that I have no statistical yardsticks I'm putting up. I don't really care what the stats and wins say. I care about what he LOOKS like. Even if we suck and the stats don't look great I want to see him making the lost of what's out there. Last year the offense overall sucked but it also very much felt like Bryce was a big part of the suck. There weren't many plays where you felt like "oh thank God we had Bryce Young at QB there to make chicken salad out of chicken poo". We saw that a handful of times all last year maybe. With a promising rookie QB in a bad situation you're going to see that a handful of times every week. You can get a game's worth of highlights out of Bryce's entire rookie season.

There is definitely a feeling that I'm looking to have with Young. A good QB has a vibe that isn't related to stats. You start to feel like "if we add this piece here, or that piece there, we'll have something." Last season the feeling was we needed a brick wall o-line and prime Magetron and Smitty to do something. Yeah I'm not even going to look at stats. 

Edited by pantherj

1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

They were not blindsided by anything. They knew everything about all of those qb's. To say he was blindsided is just ridiculous. He spent all his time before the draft reviewing tape on all of them. Met in-person with all of them and had them in for workouts. How on earth would he not know what Young could or could not do? No, he knew what he was getting. He just couldn't build an offense around what he had. That is on him.

I understand what you’re saying but it is all fishy as hell, what about all that wait until the offseason to fix his mechanics or footwork or whatever? Who picks a player at that selection with that level of issues? To start the 1st year. I’m just not sure he thought that’s what he was getting until late in the game. 

And what you said about intentionally, I felt the same way. I didn’t know what to make of, the lack of urgency to the offense especially was a mystery. I thought they were protecting Young or over protecting him, I just didn’t get it. It is an historically confusing thing for me. Makes almost zero sense. 

What I say about Young and Reich is not coming from a place that I know the reason. I wish I did know. Most people can only guess what all that really was. There are a lot of angles when you get into the rifts between the staff, and how the design of the offense and the power dynamic of Brown fits into that. Was Reich forced into that? Did he resent it? Don’t know. 

Reich was forced into a situation he didn't originally anticipate. Losing DJ Moore was huge. Couple that with the incredible regression of the offensive line (mostly through injury), and he didn't know how to bring the team back. Bryce wasn't good enough to save his job like Cam did for Ron. Hopefully a little stability, flexibility and luck from the injury bug will be in Canales' favor. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

2 hours ago, countryboi said:

I rather cut out my own tongue that have this conversation for the 99th time, im on board with bryce untill the panthers are no longer on board with bryce. everything else is noise

Agree. I for one believe in Bryce 

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Canales will get the chance to establish an offense around what strengths he thinks Bryce has. He's obligated, or directed to do that this season. If it looks bad this season then Morgan will have to decide if Dave gave it an honest attempt before he gets the chance to do it around the qb of his choosing. That's how I see this all playing out.

He’s already said in interviews his goal is to turn Bryce into a game manager and only ask him to make a few special plays per game. I think it’s smart for Bryce’s development but it also means we won’t win many games. 

I kept saying the same thing last year.  I didn't know the name of the concept/play, but I knew we were running it over and over and over and over again.  We weren't attacking the boundaries, that much was crystal clear.  Was it the WRs?  Yes.  Was it Byrce? Yes.  Was it the O-line? Yes. As a function of Bryce having the yips and the WRs inability to win outside did the coaching staff force everything inside? Asbo-freaking-lutely!

It was nice for someone to break down what I was seeing with my own eyes.  It was a snowball rolling downhill effect and it's difficult to pinpoint exactly which of the four (coaching, WRs, OL or Bryce) was the catalyst  for that snowball to get on it's ill-fated trek know as the Panthers 2023 season.  All I know it was on a collision course with disaster.

The brass is going to try to salvage Bryce through a stout run game and play action off of it.  It's completely obvious to me. Will it work?  Who knows?  I do know it can't be any worse than last season.  That much I'm certain of and I can at least tolerate watching games again even if it does only result in a few more wins.

• Pie 4

13 hours ago, Navy_football said:

Reich was forced into a situation he didn't originally anticipate. Losing DJ Moore was huge. Couple that with the incredible regression of the offensive line (mostly through injury), and he didn't know how to bring the team back. Bryce wasn't good enough to save his job like Cam did for Ron. Hopefully a little stability, flexibility and luck from the injury bug will be in Canales' favor. 

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, NAS said:

He’s already said in interviews his goal is to turn Bryce into a game manager and only ask him to make a few special plays per game. I think it’s smart for Bryce’s development but it also means we won’t win many games. 

You don't know that. His goal is to make him play to the best of his abilities. That is what he's said all along. Whether it helps to win games has yet to be seen. Canales has to also build a team and offense good enough to win no matter who's behind center. If he can do that he will be around to get whoever he feels is better to run it. He's not tied to Young but he still has to build a complete team and offense. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

The organization was poorly put together from top to bottom and it shows. Management was in bunker mode and we had a guy as GM who could not evaluate talent either in the draft or free agency. We had just gotten away from a "culture" HC who needed to stay at a mid-majors college and replaced him with a guy who had a lot of emotional ties to the team but had just come off of a collapsing team of his own in Indianapolis. And that guy built a coaching staff, one heavily influenced by ownership, that was just not ready for the roles they were given and could not gel because they could see the collapse and were oftentimes worried about their own skin more than what the team needed.

On the field, the team was just atrocious. The o-line suffered some early injuries and could not hold together because there was no depth and little coaching. Game planning seemed to make no effort to shore up the line and the rookie QB could not make adjustments, did not have the tools in his tool box yet, to offset this in even the least. Our highly recruited FA RB turned out to be a powder puff, our receivers were slow to the point of making people pine for the days of Kelvin Benjamin. We had one receiver who could actually run a rout and catch and he was double covered on almost every play. Our tight ends were just completely ineffective because of a lack of talent and using the same play concept over and over again.

And our defense? Well, statistically, particular in yardage given up, looked great on paper. But it sucked, too. It just didn't suck as bad as our offense, which was historically bad.

The highlight of our team last season was our Special Teams play. We had a good kicker and punter. 

The saving grace of our team last season was this: The NFL had not gone to an 18-game schedule yet, meaning the faithful didn't have to sit through another week of watching that mess.

Good luck to the new coach. I'd like to say there's nowhere to go but up from here, but I said that about this time last year, too. I don't want to be amazed by how wrong I was again.

• Pie 2

25 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

You don't know that. His goal is to make him play to the best of his abilities. That is what he's said all along. Whether it helps to win games has yet to be seen. Canales has to also build a team and offense good enough to win no matter who's behind center. If he can do that he will be around to get whoever he feels is better to run it. He's not tied to Young but he still has to build a complete team and offense. 

That's fair, I just thought the game manager typically means our defense has to carry and not sure that'll be possible.

• Pie 1