• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does anyone actually think Bryce will actually be good?

6 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Most nfl ready since luck.   Cerebral.   Point guard.  Elevates all around him.  Mini mahomes.   

Damn the narrative has changed in a year.  

200.gif

That coming out of Tepper's mouth was way up there on the list of stupid things he's said/done since taking over. 

4 minutes ago, KSpan said:

200.gif

That coming out of Tepper's mouth was way up there on the list of stupid things he's said/done since taking over. 

I'm guessing he got that from Fitterer or Frank. Fitterer had scouted the qb's for a couple of years prior. If you go back and follow the bread crumbs the past 2 years Fitterer was going to trade up all along. He sold it to Tepper and had to convince Frank to go along. From there you know the rest.

• Pie 4

38 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm guessing he got that from Fitterer or Frank. Fitterer had scouted the qb's for a couple of years prior. If you go back and follow the bread crumbs the past 2 years Fitterer was going to trade up all along. He sold it to Tepper and had to convince Frank to go along. From there you know the rest.

And it would have worked if they'd drafted CJ Stroud. Or hell, even Anthony Richardson would have been better than Bryce. Panthers picked the most undersized QB in NFL history first overall. Can't make this stuff up!

• Pie 3

Just now, hepcat said:

And it would have worked if they'd drafted CJ Stroud. Or hell, even Anthony Richardson would have been better than Bryce. Panthers picked the most undersized QB in NFL history first overall. Can't make this stuff up!

On top of that they did it with no idea how to design an offense to maximize whatever strengths they thought he would bring to the team, or have a plan to develop him. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, hepcat said:

I'm one of those that think CJ is thanking his lucky stars the Panthers didn't take him instead. He would not have sniffed a ROY mention with what Frank was doing. 

• Pie 2

17 hours ago, frankw said:

What does a linebacker have to do with a QB other than trying to draw parallels for feels?

Folks spent weeks comparing this kid to hall of famers before the draft but somehow it still just isn't clicking.

How about just let him prove anything at this level and go from there.

A small linebacker, especially then,  has as much if  not more going against him than a small QB. Its not rocket science to see the parallels. 

• Beer 1

12 minutes ago, csx said:

A small linebacker, especially then,  has as much if  not more going against him than a small QB. Its not rocket science to see the parallels. 

Linebacker doesn’t throw a football. That matters.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, csx said:

Not rocket science eh?

It's a desperate comparison no different than the pre draft comparisons to athletes in other sports like Steph Curry.

I remember arguing with you quite a bit about Teddy Bridgewater back in 2020 and he was substantially better as a Panther than anything Bryce did as a rookie but I don't remember you advocating to compare him to hall of famers.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

7 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

I think it was Fitterer.  He thought Bryce would be our Russell Wilson and him and Tepper sold each other on it.  The coaches were overruled.

• Beer 1

8 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

IDK, Tepper was thrilled to be the center of attention leading up to that draft. Given the moves he tried to make since Cam broke, even before Fritters was hired, I'm not convinced who was the lead on that trade up idea. It fits both of their MOs, IMO, so I doubt the other party took any real convincing to make it a reality anyways. In the end Fritters was supposed to be the expert but Tepper has been really vocal about finding his QB while doing it all in the worst ways possible for years. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 2

Posted (edited)

I wish there was a way for us to know who to credit for their brilliance. 

Tepper and lying with a straight face probably aren’t strangers.

Absent proof to the contrary, and going by the behavior over Years pushing for his QB, I gotta go top down.

Edited by strato
  • Beer 2

alright im going to post seriously here for a second

what you are seeing with bryce young is the confluence of some well understood cognitive phenomenon: mistaking what you want to happen for what is happening and working backwards from there (call this working backwards from a conclusion/cognitive dissonance, im sure im mixing up the terms a little here), and getting scammed and defending the scammer (call this the gregor macgregor affect i don't know there's probably a term somewhere, google is unusable.)

People who care a lot about the Panthers want them to have a good player at the most important position in the game, and the Panthers gave up a ton to be in position to take one, and they took one, so that must be the good player. There is obviously an overload of available information any lay person can find that they can use to convince themselves that what they wanted was happening. to the lay person, it was aggressively obvious right away that it wasn't going to work out. it was clear halfway through the first quarter of the atlanta game he did not belong in the nfl. a bird's eye view of the season shows at best the second worst season ever. But people who really wanted something to be true cannot accept this, and instead pick apart details or blame things or wishcast into the future or move goalposts to defend it because they cannot accept that what they wanted and what they believed they had is actually....not there. People do this all the time. I've got a patient right now in late stage frontotemporal dementia and her POA just will not listen to me or hear what I'm saying because he was told I'm an amazing provider with inpatient neuro experience and when I look at him and say "you need to understand expectations" or "she has no quality of life" he just refuses to understand what I'm saying.

The second is this weird trait we have where if we get scammed, some people will defend the scammer. if you get bored read up on gregor macgregor and the mosquito coast, but basically he was charging people to join an expedition to settle this absolutely poo stretch of land in south america. all these people either died or had to be rescued, but when they returned to their home towns they refused to believe they'd been scammed, blamed other things, or even blamed themselves. This guy was CLEARLY a scam artist but they could not accept they, smart rational people etc had been scammed.

This is some weird vestigial evolutionary trait that helped a group of monkeys work together to take the watering hole and no of course there's no modern day political equivalent why you imply such a thing.

Panthers' fans were scammed with Bryce Young. Tepper (david or nicole im not sure which) were scammed with him. Obviously it's more complex than one scottish dude drunkenly walking into a bar in Buenos Aires but it's a similar setup. And yes the stakes are lower than moving to the other side of south america but a scam is a scam is a scam.

It is very difficult for people to admit that they, ostensibly smart, rational, logical people would believe and buy in to something so obviously rotten so the blame has to go somewhere else. Every problem with Bryce has an cause external to him, and all problems will be solved by /random thing that has happened the specifics don't really matter. Currently it's a guy who no other team interviewed for the HC position.

if you read this and your first instinct is that i'm attacking you, you need to take a deep breath and reevaluate some things. this is an opportunity for personal growth and you should take it.

surely some people will counter with "well it's just football it's not that serious and why does it hurt to be excited for something?" This is what's called a "though terminating cliche" and is just a cutesy little phrase meant to stop the conversation and help the person using it avoid defending their terrible ideas.

and to the person saying "lol wow you typed all this up u mad," <puts poo posting hat back> don't judge what i do by your own limitations. I'm much higher functioning than you and this was neither time or energy consuming for me. This is a casual thought. I am learning not to hold people to the same standards I hold myself, so I don't blame you for reacting defensively out of a sense of wonder and inferiority.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, strato said:

I wish there was a way for us to know who to credit for their brilliance. 

Tepper and lying with a straight face probably aren’t strangers.

Absent proof to the contrary, and going by the behavior over Years pushing for his QB, I gotta go top down.

Every year it looks like someone does a sales pitch to Tepper and that's what he goes with. It's also why it has been a horror show on the outcome side. 

8 minutes ago, electro&#x27;s horse said:

what you are seeing with bryce young is the confluence of some well understood cognitive phenomenon: mistaking what you want to happen for what is happening and working backwards from there (call this working backwards from a conclusion/cognitive dissonance, im sure im mixing up the terms a little here), and getting scammed and defending the scammer (call this the gregor macgregor affect i don't know there's probably a term somewhere, google is unusable.)

cut for space

The hard thing about Bryce is he is likable so people not only like him but feel like they need to defend the good guy. If he was a jerk like Wilson was on the Jets then they could just have signed a QB off the heap to try and Baker into the playoff this year while being justified but not with Bryce.

I can't believe people let McG scam them. I guess some people have money to burn and like to be sold regardless of reality. 

1 hour ago, electro&#x27;s horse said:

People who care a lot about the Panthers want them to have a good player at the most important position in the game, and the Panthers gave up a ton to be in position to take one, and they took one, so that must be the good player. There is obviously an overload of available information any lay person can find that they can use to convince themselves that what they wanted was happening. to the lay person, it was aggressively obvious right away that it wasn't going to work out. it was clear halfway through the first quarter of the atlanta game he did not belong in the nfl. a bird's eye view of the season shows at best the second worst season ever. But people who really wanted something to be true cannot accept this, and instead pick apart details or blame things or wishcast into the future or move goalposts to defend it because they cannot accept that what they wanted and what they believed they had is actually....not there. People do this all the time. I've got a patient right now in late stage frontotemporal dementia and her POA just will not listen to me or hear what I'm saying because he was told I'm an amazing provider with inpatient neuro experience and when I look at him and say "you need to understand expectations" or "she has no quality of life" he just refuses to understand what I'm saying.

The second is this weird trait we have where if we get scammed, some people will defend the scammer. if you get bored read up on gregor macgregor and the mosquito coast, but basically he was charging people to join an expedition to settle this absolutely poo stretch of land in south america. all these people either died or had to be rescued, but when they returned to their home towns they refused to believe they'd been scammed, blamed other things, or even blamed themselves. This guy was CLEARLY a scam artist but they could not accept they, smart rational people etc had been scammed.

This is some weird vestigial evolutionary trait that helped a group of monkeys work together to take the watering hole and no of course there's no modern day political equivalent why you imply such a thing.

Panthers' fans were scammed with Bryce Young. Tepper (david or nicole im not sure which) were scammed with him. Obviously it's more complex than one scottish dude drunkenly walking into a bar in Buenos Aires but it's a similar setup. And yes the stakes are lower than moving to the other side of south america but a scam is a scam is a scam.

It is very difficult for people to admit that they, ostensibly smart, rational, logical people would believe and buy in to something so obviously rotten so the blame has to go somewhere else. Every problem with Bryce has an cause external to him, and all problems will be solved by /random thing that has happened the specifics don't really matter. Currently it's a guy who no other team interviewed for the HC position.

if you read this and your first instinct is that i'm attacking you, you need to take a deep breath and reevaluate some things. this is an opportunity for personal growth and you should take it.

surely some people will counter with "well it's just football it's not that serious and why does it hurt to be excited for something?" This is what's called a "though terminating cliche" and is just a cutesy little phrase meant to stop the conversation and help the person using it avoid defending their terrible ideas.

and to the person saying "lol wow you typed all this up u mad," <puts poo posting hat back> don't judge what i do by your own limitations. I'm much higher functioning than you and this was neither time or energy consuming for me. This is a casual thought. I am learning not to hold people to the same standards I hold myself, so I don't blame you for reacting defensively out of a sense of wonder and inferiority.

image.png.ea4ab7f2e57d0f039d5b67e77a850a1c.png