• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What would it take?

twylyght

Just out of curiosity, I am wondering what it would take for Clausen doubters/haters to give him another chance much less support for being a Panther. From what I've seen, the kid has made some huge strides from last year in a situation that is light years beyond the hell that everyone endured with the prior coaching regime.

That isn't to say that I am not skeptical myself, but all reports from camp and my own gametime observations from last week suggest that Clausen may actually turn the corner.

So, let's make it simple... what would be the criteria for you to give the kid another chance and be glad that he is a Panther?

Another good preseason outing or two?

4-1 TD to interception ratio?

90 or better QB passer rating over half a season's time?

A couple of last-minute game winning drives?

75% regular season win rate?

Playoff wins?

Fiz and CRA's collective blessings?

Clausen long term in Carolina was done the moment they decided to make it the worst kept secret that they were going to get a QB ( Luck or Newton ) during the draft. However, if Clausen is on the field for the Panthers, I root for him. Same with any player. Same thing for my real hometown team, the Jacksonville Jaguars. If Garrard, as much as I don't like him, or Gabbert, as much as I am not sold on him, take the field, I root for them.

Now, when the Jaguars play the Panthers this season and I have tickets in row 1 of section 312, living in Carolina now, I will be pulling for the Panthers.

I have no problem having him a the starter, if the coaching staff feels he has a better command of the offensive scheme. However he would really need to show something in the last 2 preseason games to separate himself from Newton. If they go into week 4 and there is no clear cut winner, then you need to start Newton because of the added mobility that he brings.

easy. 3 things.

1 - not bailing and looking scared w/ slight pressure in the pocket (consistantly). This is by far the most important for me. this is the main reason he sucks.

2 - actually looks to show confidence inside and out of the huddle

3 - his first actual TD to a WR

If he does that by preseason game 4......holla at me.

he's gotten better, but honestly the only thing he is good for at this point is as a backup or as trade bait. the franchise is moving on. i have. it's all about cam newton at this point and for a good reason.

if he stays around as a panther, i'm fine as long as he doesn't suck when he's on the field. even as a starter he's going to be little more than a placeholder for newton.

it's not about liking him or not...he's a backup QB. he's essentially irrelevant and just another cog on the machine. there is no real competition for the long term job. there isn't any QB controversy. the job is newton's.

do i want clausen to do well? better than having him suck. am i proud to have him on the team? meh...he's just this guy on the team. i like him like i like all panther backups.

for him to warrant the starting gig he would have to be significantly better than newton.

Cam hasn't either. ;)

seriously though, Clausen's looking better... we'll see how he and Cam do, but the reality is that barring some tremendous performance if he gets to start, Newton WILL be playing at some point soon, so he's basically our backup. I still want him to do well, but I've long ago realized they were planning on going with Cam early.

Archived