• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Pro Football Spot breaks down the state of Panthers' Big Uglies

top dawg

For casual fans, and people like me who pay more attention to sexier positions and mostly notice the offensive line when our guys allow Cam to get murdered, PFS's Logan Ulrich provides a pretty fair synopsis of the 2014 season and the general state of the O-line.

On paper it looked solid, but injuries struck, and Carolina ended up starting eight different offensive line combinations during the course of the season. That included a stretch of six straight weeks with a different combination of offensive linemen, a stretch that coincided with the Panthers six-game losing streak in the middle of the year. The beginning and end of the season were when Carolina had the most success, as the team was able to field its most consistent and talented units, going a combined 7-2-1.

Because so many different players suited up for the Panthers this year, this evaluation will break them down by each position on the line, assessing the production the team got out of that position and whether an upgrade will be looked for this offseason.

To that last point, G-man is always looking to upgrade (as is any GM worth his salt).

Some may say that they already mostly know this stuff. Great for you. It's really not for the couch scouts. But to try and stem snark, let me give you the TLDR version:

Khalil, whose contract you may want to start watching, is still solid and had a steadying presence after some growing pains with his new line. Bell is a team favorite, but he sucks as an OT.  The Chandler experiment hasn't panned out. Silatolu, perhaps mentally challenged, may still reach his poetential if he can ever stay on the field. Norwell was an absolute beast in the run game and above average in pass protection. Trai Turner's athleticism and strength, along with his marked growth, is extremely exciting. Velasco provides good versatility and depth for the interior of the line if re-signed.  And Remmers, surprise of the line and highly ranked by Pro Football Focus, at the very least provides great depth.

Decent breakdown. I've been running through film the past couple weeks of all the teams in the league at many different position and plan to post some of what I've seen. Just got to say, not many o-lines in this league are that much better than ours was. Another thing I've noticed so far... Our WRs are the absolute worst at getting separation... Haven't looked at teams like the Browns or Jags yet so that could change...

Decent breakdown. I've been running through film the past couple weeks of all the teams in the league at many different position and plan to post some of what I've seen. Just got to say, not many o-lines in this league are that much better than ours was. Another thing I've noticed so far... Our WRs are the absolute worst at getting separation... Haven't looked at teams like the Browns or Jags yet so that could change...

The thing about the O-line though is all it takes is that much to be absolutely awful, mindlessly mediocre, or simply superior . :P 

BTW, Looking at the Browns and Jags won't help. 

The thing about the O-line though is all it takes is that much to be absolutely awful, mindlessly mediocre, or simply superior . :P

True, all I'm saying is that other offenses succeeded with similarly poor lines so I don't buy that excuse for why our offense is so bad. WRs have more to do with it than people think, and honestly in my opinion may be our biggest offensive need still. Probably LT, but I wouldn't shoot down someone arguing WR.

BTW, Looking at the Browns and Jags won't help. 

Well, frankly, me looking at any of it won't help. I'm just interested in it. Not just how it relates to the Panthers but football in general. 

True, all I'm saying is that other offenses succeeded with similarly poor lines so I don't buy that excuse for why our offense is so bad. WRs have more to do with it than people think, and honestly in my opinion may be our biggest offensive need still. Probably LT, but I wouldn't shoot down someone arguing WR.

Well, frankly, me looking at any of it won't help. I'm just interested in it. Not just how it relates to the Panthers but football in general. 

I fundamentally agree, but I do believe that there is something to be said for continuity and chemistry (as the piece suggests). And, of course, every millisecond counts when you're dealing in protection.  But, to your point, slow and/or inexperienced receivers with suspect route running and a marginal O-line do not make for the best situation for an injured QB that isn't as experienced, precise or accurate as a Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Good to great athletic receivers with precise route running, chemistry with the QB, and the mental savvy to help out their QB when he is in trouble can cover over a multitude of sins.  Of course there has to be half-way decent, situational play calling...

I fundamentally agree, but I do believe that there is something to be said for continuity and chemistry (as the piece suggests). 

Agreed, and not just continuity and chemistry on the o-line but the entire offensive unit as a whole. Only guys here from last year were Bell, Cam, Olsen and Kalil. Once Cam gets a full offseason with KB, Philly, Dickson, Cotch, etc. we'll be more successful. I can't tell you how many times my heart sank when Cam and KB couldn't connect deep because of a miscommunication, bad throw, drop, bad route, etc.

i would love for us to go into training camp with the OL already set and the starters spend the whole time getting reps together with cam.

we waste so much time having competition for starting spots on the OL every year (going back into the fox era) and that usually results in the OL taking several weeks into the regular season for them to gel. crap.....last year or two we've still been trying to figure out who the starters are going to be several weeks into the season.

the interior is set heading into the future and RT might be as well. imo, we don't need to screw around with anything there. just build on what chemistry was there and let them use the experience of this past season as a foundation for the 2015 season. hopefully we add the LT early in the offseason via FA or the draft so we can even let them start getting reps together in mini camps.

we can't start early enough building that chemistry, imo.

i would love for us to go into training camp with the OL already set and the starters spend the whole time getting reps together with cam.

we waste so much time having competition for starting spots on the OL every year (going back into the fox era) and that usually results in the OL taking several weeks into the regular season for them to gel. crap.....last year or two we've still been trying to figure out who the starters are going to be several weeks into the season.

the interior is set heading into the future and RT might be as well. imo, we don't need to screw around with anything there. just build on what chemistry was there and let them use the experience of this past season as a foundation for the 2015 season. hopefully we add the LT early in the offseason via FA or the draft so we can even let them start getting reps together in mini camps.

You are 100% correct.  I too wish we could set on the line and from day 1 give them what they need.  Exposure to the plays is a must.  You always have to move newbies in an out so you can have a fresh set of legs.  I like what you're saying.

Remmers is so important-what a find.  He played LT at Ore St, so if we could find 2 tackles and Remmers could provided depth at both spots, he is worth a decent contract.  However, his play takes the pressure off Gettlemen because he was decent at RT--the best RT we have had in years.

Silatolu and Kugbila are looking like wasted picks,  But that doesn't matter when you can find a gem like Norwell and draft a player like Turner.  Velasco is a key piece-he is the Remmers of the interior line because he can play center. 

I feel good about this unit, but I think we are going to have to start a rookie at LT.  We shall see.

you scream for this every year. and every year you have been right.

At the very least, barring injury, our interior will be set. I think Remmers has the job at right tackle. So all but one spot. Id sign bell as a backup on the cheapest contract possible (which it will be) and like you said draft a tackle and sign a vet for LT.

Id rather spend money on the line then at WR. Cam is going to be fully healthy, If we can get this line in order, i'm expecting him to explode next year (lock him up now DG!)

Archived