• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Does Carolina Pass up on Offensive Tackle at 25?

Bj-Monster23

I've been watching a lot of tape and highlights of this year offensive tackle prospects. Everyone knows our biggest need is on the offensive line specifically at Left Tackle. There is some really good prospects coming out in this years draft class. To name few in no particular order I have 

1. Ereck Flowers 6'5 322 Miami. In my opinion, I feel that Ereck Flowers is the most pro ready offensive tackle out of this years group. He is strong with long arms and has a big frame. He has the speed and athleticism to dance with defensive ends and he is mean in the running game. I think when the draft rolls around I believe he goes top 10. 

2. Brandon Scherff 6'5 315 Iowa. Scherff is another prospect that I feel can come in and be a day 1 starter. The only knock I have with Scherff is that, I don't think he has enough athleticism to play left tackle in the NFL. If this is the case, Scherff will more then likely be better suited to move inside at guard and excelled at that position or potentially be a career right tackle. Scherff is a tough player. He tore his meniscus in the Ball State game and was back two weeks later and finished the season. I think he more then likely goes in the top 10 to 15 range in the draft.

3. Andrus Peat 6'6 312 Stanford. Peat is another tackle that has a huge frame and long arms. He needs to work on his pass protection but he is a load in the running game.He played well against Leonard Williams at USC and that has helped his stock. I don't think Peat is a day 1 starter, but i could see him starting his career at right tackle and potentially moving to left tackle later.

4. La'el Collins 6'5 315 LSU. Collins was a monster on that offensive line at LSU. He has a big frame and long arms and is dominating in the running game. Collins moves players around through hell and high water. He also needs to work on his pass protection as well like Peat. In time I think he can clean it up and be a good player. Nothing would be more tempting for him then to land in Carolina with former LSU teammate Trai Turner. Collins and Turner on the same team with chemistry from their LSU days could potentially be a dominant offensive line in Carolina. I don't think Collins will be around by the time Carolina is on the clock but if he is there, I can assure you he might just be the pick. I think he goes in the top 15 to 20 range.

5. TJ Clemmings 6'5 305 Pittsburg. There has been some talk that Clemmings have gotten first round grades that he didn't deserve this early. He went into the Senior Bowl with very high expectations and he struggled in some of the one on one drills. Mike Mayock believes that Clemmings is the best tackle in the draft and that's the reason he has him rank as the #1 OT right now. Clemmings has the body that you would want your left tackle to have. Clemmings is a former DE who has only played two years at right tackle. He is a very raw talent but with more experience he could be a Pro Bowl left tackle. Clemmings struggles in pass protection because he needs to refine his technique. The only way that's going to get better is with more experience. Clemmings is dominant in the running game as well and he plays with a mean streak. Clemmings reminds me of a more raw version of Tyrone Smith. Clemmings is more then likely to be around with Carolina picks. Does Carolina take a chance on one most rawest offensive tackle in this year draft class? A lot of scouts said Benjamin was a raw prospect as well and that work out fine in Carolina favor. Can Carolina strike lightning in a bottle twice?

fortunately, this draft seems to be another deep one at OT. one late-round prospect i think the Panthers should give special attention to is Corey Robinson from USC. His draft profile says that he benefits from exceptional running backs and mobile QBs. guess what we have in Carolina? all his weaknesses seem to be teachable. plus, Robinson is a hometown boy. #GoGamecocks

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737694/corey-robinson

fortunately, this draft seems to be another deep one at OT. one late-round prospect i think the Panthers should give special attention to is Corey Robinson from USC. His draft profile says that he benefits from exceptional running backs and mobile QBs. guess what we have in Carolina? all his weaknesses seem to be teachable. plus, Robinson is a hometown boy. #GoGamecocks

In my opinion outside of Ereck Flowers. I don't see a offensive tackle that can come in and provide the immediate protection that Cam needs. The Panthers are really going to have to look at these offensive tackles and find out which one they really want if they go in that route. My guess right now is between Peat, Collins, and Clemmings. If either of these guys are on the board by the time we are on the clock things could get interesting.

They said that last year's class was loaded with tackle talent and was deep. In the end though, it didn't even offer good first round talent.

If OT isn't the BPA at 25 then yes, Gettleman will pass.

I can completely agree. If Peat, Collins, or Cleemings isn't on the board at 25, I definitely can see Gettleman passing up on a offensive tackle. What I really want to know is how he feels about TJ Clemmings. Some people just feels that he is just a raw prospect but his best football is ahead of him. He has the frame, the athleticism, and strength to be dominant. He really just needs to fix his technique but that comes with more experience. Is Clemmings worth the risk? The last tackle we got from Pittsburg didn't work out too well. I don't want to be disappointed again.

If they feel another spot has the best player, it's very possible.

(I'm hoping tackle is the BPA, of course)

Like I said if Peat or Collins is there one of them could be the pick. The big ? is Clemmings. We need to add more big ugly's to offensive line but i'm not so sure we can get a good prospect at 25. 

Collins is my top choice. Flowers would be my second. While I wouldn't mind the Panthers drafting TJ Clemmings, 1st round would be a reach IMO. He probably wouldn't start and we need our 1st rounder to be a starter.

I feel there are plenty of mid round guys that could be future starters if we don't draft a tackle in the first.

Oh Lawd, I would hate the idea of having to see any remnants of this year's gamecock offensive line transfer to the panthers. Robinson is worth a mid round pick, mayyyybe

Hard to say what G-funk is thinking.  Hes gonna get players, I just hope that through free agency and the draft we can get the players we need as well as the players Cam wants.  Sounds easy but the draft is a fickle bitch and free agents' agents are dicks.  This is one of the most, if not the most, important offseason in franchise history.

Archived