• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton should be paid more than Luck or Wilson

Jeremy Igo

Which team would see more of a drop in offensive performance if they had to start a decent journeyman QB?

The Colts would drop a bit, but not nearly as much as the Panthers would. I'm not sure a journeyman QB would even survive three games.

I cant say I agree with this at all. I dont think many reasonable people outside of Panther fans would think Newton deserves more than Luck.

If the team was more successful offensively with making him cary the load then you would have a better argument.

I agree on the notion that Cam is more valuable and integral to our offense than Wilson from a casual glance. I have a hard time saying he is more important than Luck is to the Colts.

Yeah, this is pretty much common sense. Without Luck the Colts win 2-4 games at the most. Without Cam, and with Derek we could win between 5-8 games in my opinion.

I think Wilson will be way overpaid.  Luck and Cam should get similar deals.  While Cam has been a tremendous part of the offense here, Luck took a 2 win team and has had double figure wins each year since.  Both are probably looking at $23-25m.

They absolutely should be paid.

But are you willing to pay them so much money that we have to go bargain shopping everywhere else?

That's a team building formula that I have yet to see produce a Super Bowl.

You have to do what you have to do. You can't let a franchise quarterback and the best linebacker in the league walk.

If you think they absolutely have to be paid, then that means that we have to accept the fact that they're going to be paid a hell of a lot

I cant say I agree with this at all. I dont think many reasonable people outside of Panther fans would think Newton deserves more than Luck.

If the team was more successful offensively with making him cary the load then you would have a better argument.

man, can you imagine the media shitstorm if the Panthers make him the highest paid QB in the league and he doesn't live up to the contract? not saying he won't, but you know the first statements will be "No wonder the Panthers can't put together a consistent winning team."

Most teams pay based on a players accomplishments and to that end Wilson and the Hawks have had much more success than Newton. Sure you can make the arguments that he has a better cast than Cam but if you look at our playoff loss to them this year it was Offensive turnovers which lost us the game. Gaffs they continue to make despite this being the end of his 4 th year. He won't make more than Wilson based on results. As for Luck, he has been anointed the second coming of Manning so he will get a ton based on potential and the fact he has a lot more comebacks than Cam despite the fact that he often causes the problem in the first place with picks. Cam will get a ton but he won't get more than the other two and doesn't deserve it based on the results. The argument that he is a bigger part of the offense is an indictment of our ability to give him enough weapons not a reason to pay him more money.

You have to do what you have to do. You can't let a franchise quarterback and the best linebacker in the league walk.

If you think they absolutely have to be paid, then that means that we have to accept the fact that they're going to be paid a hell of a lot

You ever watch Barry Sanders highlights? I love em. Arguably the greatest running back of all time. Made plays that people were just dumbfounded to try and explain.

You know what there's relatively few of, though?

Barry Sanders playoff highlights.

And Barry Sanders Super Bowl highlights...well, they don't exist.

Why? Because the Lions paid him a ton and scrimped on everything else.

The big games are still won by the best team, not the best player.

Russel Wilson throws 4 interceptions and Seattle still wins the game

Newton throws one and he is the most inaccurate QB in the history of the NFL according to some on this board

What game where you watching Wilson had 3 touchdowns and 0 picks while Newton threw 2 touchdowns and had 2 picks including a pick 6. Newtons passer rating was 79 and Wilsons was double that at 149. These kind of apologist comments are part of the reason Cam gets some of the criticism on this board.

I would rather win games than save money.

If you want to have lots of cap space but pull for a loser, there's a brightly colored team in Cleveland that has lot of money, picks, and losses every year.

You're more than welcome to go fly their flag

Pay the superstar QB.

He deserves more then Alex Smith, Smith is making 17 a season. Easily put's Cam in the 18-19 range, add on to that hos age and percentage of the offense and you get an even larger number.

I don't expect Cook or Cam to accept anything south of 20m a season with at least 60m guranteed based on just the above facts.

Considering that his camp is waiting on Luck and Wilson to get deals suggest they are looking north of 20 a season and want Cam to be the highest paid qb in the nfl.

Archived