• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Brenton Bersin really that bad?

TN05

making a few catches against shitty teams' shitty sub dime package backs doesn't make you a good player when you do a bunch of really bad stuff too. it's been noted before that the fact that he went to wofford community college probably gives him a boost over the rest of the JAGs that are running around on practice squads.

that said, i'd like to see him given a shot in camp. you can't deny production in the clutch, and as long as we're moving him off return duties he should get a fair shot to stay on the roster. i hope he surprises us.

He easily did more bad last year than he did good. Has everyone forgotten his horrible drop that led to a saints interception in our home game against them last year? How he slipped when he was the 1st read (wtf shula) in the redzone vs the seahawks? There is no reason to have a player on the roster who is a complete liability everytime he takes the field.

would bersin make the 53 man roster on any other NFL team? He's been hanging around for about 4 years taking up a spot on either the practice squad or 53 man roster...does his contribution justify our investment? I think bersin is a good guy, a great story....much like armonti Edwards. However, we need capable receivers on this team now.

The numerous mistakes in the playoffs weren't his first time making mistakes fielding punts.  Or the second.  Or the third.  He was poor at it all season.  The one in the gif earlier in this thread was the MOST bone-headed of them, but he was bobbling punts and making other mistakes all season long.

Yes, and yet the coaching staff still felt he was the safest option on the roster.  Makes you wonder just how bad the other options must have been, huh?

We probably agree that Bersin is lousy at returning kicks.  But as a receiver, he did what was asked of him and did it well.

No but I think he's just representative of our problems. He's been around for a couple of years. Fans know we've not had a strong WR corp's and Gettleman has talked repeatedly about churning the bottom of the roster. Obviously we haven't improved that group, much yet.

I'm sure there are worse #5 WRs on the bottom of other rosters. He will come in this yr and compete. If he makes it good for him (perhaps he will have turned a corner). If not then it means we've upgraded over a known commodity both good and bad.

I think we will get 1 WR somewhere in the draft and maybe an UDFA or late FA pick up. So the competition up and down the WR Corps will be there. Those that come out of it, I trust, will be our best look going into the season.

Bersin will compete in training camp.  Likeable guy but he knows he has work to do or  will be cut.  Gettleman  will improve this team each year as he works his magic.   He is cheap and others will have to beat him for him to be cut.

There is nothing about him that excites me. Did he make the occasional catch to moves the chains? Sure. Most were on easy routes and he was wide open, usually being covered by some scrub. I'd rather fill that 4th and 5th WR spot with someone who can make the occasional big play and can also contribute on special teams. Roster spots are too valuable to have him on the roster while not being a contributor elsewhere.

There is nothing about him that excites me. Did he make the occasional catch to moves the chains? Sure. Most were on easy routes and he was wide open, usually being covered by some scrub. I'd rather fill that 4th and 5th WR spot with someone who can make the occasional big play and can also contribute on special teams. Roster spots are too valuable to have him on the roster while not being a contributor elsewhere.

This is not that hard to understand. .

Get a player that either is a better contributor on special teams or can turn that once in a while clutch catch into more than just a 1st down..

Archived