• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rivera would like to see Cam signed long-term before 2015 season

gettlemanjack

Accepting that premise, do you really believe either of those two reasons would serve as justification for just letting Newton walk?

Nope ... would never just let him walk.  They shouldn't have done that with Peppers either.  For whatever reason, if his future is not Carolina, trade and get picks / players.  Of course, the only team that will accept a trade is one that has reassurance from his agent that a long term deal will get done.

This scenario probably wont happen but ..... I see Cam as somebody that may enjoy a big market AND Gett as the type of GM that might just say no ... if Cam wants the whole bank.  Good thing is ... we will know soon enough.

How have the Saints done since caving on that?  (yeah, that's a team I wanna emulate) :lol:

And Revis?  You mean the guy that changes teams annually?

And if you're citing Larry Johnson as a success story...well, you might wanna look up how that story ended.

Since I seriously doubt you actually had any knowledge of these stories, I'm guessing you just googled NFL holdouts.  Quick tip, kid: Random googling is a tactic for the uninformed, and s sure way to prove to everyone that you don't know what you're talking about.

(but then, having read your prior posts, I'm pretty sure most of us already knew that)

Fans are fans.  Some are more fans of individual players (see Steve Smith) and others more for the team.

Here are some thoughts

1.  If Gman is going to pay Cam before the season, don't look for Cam to be the highest paid guy in the league.  Team fans would be happy, Cam fans enraged.

2.  If Cam wants bigger bucks, he will need a better 2015.  This is probably what he and his agent are counting on.  A healthy Cam with the end of the season Oline (plus a couple upgrades) will make him a lot better for the team and his own pocketbook.

3.  This whole ESPN manufactured (Cam is waiting on Luck and Wilson to set the baseline) is stupid.  Cam, at this point, has not earned what Wilson has earned and has not shown the consistency of Luck.  This is just John Clayton jibberish.

4. Some here wish they were Cam and try to think like him and want to let us know that we had better pony up big bucks or he will be heading to the lights of NYC which has been his hearts desire all along.  If he is not committed to the Panthers, then let him go. 

Bottom line is that I can see Cam playing this season without a new contract which is probably best for everyone.  There is a risk to Newton that he gets hurt again because a huge portion of his game and worth is him running the ball.  There is a big risk for the team in that if he has a great year, he will get Wilson and Luck money.

I say, let's wait and see.  I would not mind breaking the bank if I feel he is moving into elite territory on the field an not just on paper.  The sky is the limit with his athleticism and I know the team fans want him to do well

when you say "kid" you may want to read your own words

"I can tell you exactly what a holdout is.

It's a tactic that has yet to be successful for the vast majority of players that have tried it."

The players I mentioned and you cited, they did exactly what you said most were not succesful in doing and were rewarded very handsomely. I know you think very highly of your NFL IQ and pretend to be the GM of this messageboard but get off the pedestal every now and then and realize it's not only your opinion that matters.

And you may want to re-read those words again.

Just to be clear, I've never been of the notion that my opinion is the only one that matters.  There are plenty of smart posters here.

I am of the notion that your opinion, however, is dumb, and your posting history is proof of that.

Cam is pulling a Flacco. He is betting on himself. If he has a great year, his payday goes up. If he has another decent year, he still gets a decent contract. The only way he signs a contract before the start of the year is if Wilson signs his and sets a bar.

IMO, there are too many moving parts to say with any certainty what will/will not happen with regards to Cam and his contract. Although, I will say that I expect Cam to pretty much retire a Panther.

But, by all means, let the speculation continue. It is certainly entertaining.

And to aceboggie. Cam doesn't need a SB to be an Iccn. Just keep winning, and making Pro Bowls, and he is good to go. Sure SB wins would add to the legacy. But with today's instant media. Highlights and Pro Bowls will keep him in the spotlight.

And the other half doesn't know what a holdout is.

If Cam truly wanted to sit out a year i'd bet a lot of money someone would still be willing to pay him the following season.

If Cam made it clear he'd rather sit out than play under the tag, I'm sure Gettleman rather trade him than use up a large junk of cap space on nothing... again.

Do you know what the fine is for holding out now? Yeah, a long hold out will never happen again.

Fans are fans. Some are more fans of individual players (see Steve Smith) and others more for the team.

Here are some thoughts

1. If Gman is going to pay Cam before the season, don't look for Cam to be the highest paid guy in the league. Team fans would be happy, Cam fans enraged.

2. If Cam wants bigger bucks, he will need a better 2015. This is probably what he and his agent are counting on. A healthy Cam with the end of the season Oline (plus a couple upgrades) will make him a lot better for the team and his own pocketbook.

3. This whole ESPN manufactured (Cam is waiting on Luck and Wilson to set the baseline) is stupid. Cam, at this point, has not earned what Wilson has earned and has not shown the consistency of Luck. This is just John Clayton jibberish.

4. Some here wish they were Cam and try to think like him and want to let us know that we had better pony up big bucks or he will be heading to the lights of NYC which has been his hearts desire all along. If he is not committed to the Panthers, then let him go.

Bottom line is that I can see Cam playing this season without a new contract which is probably best for everyone. There is a risk to Newton that he gets hurt again because a huge portion of his game and worth is him running the ball. There is a big risk for the team in that if he has a great year, he will get Wilson and Luck money.

I say, let's wait and see. I would not mind breaking the bank if I feel he is moving into elite territory on the field an not just on paper. The sky is the limit with his athleticism and I know the team fans want him to do well

Lmao. Who are these fans who would be enraged if Cam took a reasonable team friendly deal?

Archived