• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should the Carolina Panthers Use an Early-Round Draft Pick on a Running Back?

Jeremy Igo

Even if you don't wanna say 'fixed' though, would you agree that the line is better than it was last year?

Yes it's better, but the question is how much?

When we were fielding one of the worst offensive lines that the league has seen in years, there's obviously nowhere to go but up.

You have to look at it realistically, when our OL faced quality teams, they struggled mightily.

Our goal should not be just to field an offensive line who can hold their own against mediocre teams picking at the top of the draft every year. We need a group of maulers who can go up against the best of the NFC. Left tackle must be resolved this year if we want a playoff run.

If you think Gurley could be a Top 5 player at his position then you take him. If you do not think he is that kind of difference maker draft one in the 3/4th

This sounds nice but it isn't the way the NFL works anymore. Especially for a team that professes to "build through the draft."

As has been discussed before, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You either make sensible picks while avoiding old tropes like this in your philosophy, or you are free to go with that old definition of "BPA" because you made sure your team was ready for the next year in the month's prior.

Teams that try to do both lose games, and thankfully, we've seen Gettleman make sure he uses the draft to address needs in his years here and is on pace to do it in his 3rd.

That all precludes the fact that "Top 5 player at a position" typically doesn't mean much in making your a 1st round pick anyways, especially at that position,

Our Oline allows 9 sacks and you guys want a RB to counter that? Lol

We need a damn oline, a playmaker wr isn't going to do poo of Cam is sacked 9 times.

The oline prospects might be thin but the Panthers have to put effort into finding something that will work out. I'd much rather see any oline taken before a RB. It might not play out that way BPA wise but crap oline teams in this league don't win. I'm surprised the Colts got as far as they did...but we're even worse.

This sounds nice but it isn't the way the NFL works anymore. Especially for a team that professes to "build through the draft."

As has been discussed before, you can't have your cake and eat it too. You either make sensible picks while avoiding old tropes like this in your philosophy, or you are free to go with that old definition of "BPA" because you made sure your team was ready for the next year in the month's prior.

Teams that try to do both lose games, and thankfully, we've seen Gettleman make sure he uses the draft to address needs in his years here and is on pace to do it in his 3rd.

That all precludes the fact that "Top 5 player at a position" typically doesn't mean much in making your a 1st round pick anyways, especially at that position,

Top 5 player at that position....in the NFL 

Others got it

Our Oline allows 9 sacks and you guys want a RB to counter that? Lol

We need a damn oline, a playmaker wr isn't going to do poo of Cam is sacked 9 times.

The oline prospects might be thin but the Panthers have to put effort into finding something that will work out. I'd much rather see any oline taken before a RB. It might not play out that way BPA wise but crap oline teams in this league don't win. I'm surprised the Colts got as far as they did...but we're even worse.

Do you not have any faith in Oher, Reammers and Martin to get the job done?

Yes it's better, but the question is how much?

When we were fielding one of the worst offensive lines that the league has seen in years, there's obviously nowhere to go but up.

You have to look at it realistically, when our OL faced quality teams, they struggled mightily.

Our goal should not be just to field an offensive line who can hold their own against mediocre teams picking at the top of the draft every year. We need a group of maulers who can go up against the best of the NFC. Left tackle must be resolved this year if we want a playoff run.

What I think you're leaving out here though is that the line wasn't status last season.

The line for the first part of the year? Terrible, I'd agree.

The line once Norwell and Remmers were inserted was a different story.

What I think you're leaving out here though is that the line wasn't status last season.

The line for the first part of the year? Terrible, I'd agree.

The line once Norwell and Remmers were inserted was a different story.

Norwell and Remmers were good additions obviously. But everything is still going to hinge on LT.

Just being better than Byron Bell is not going to cut it, for me at least.

Also, unfortunately, I am not so sure that Ron Rivera will not try to put Amini Silatolu back in the lineup when he's healthy. That is also one factor that we have to keep in mind. I like Ron as a coach, but if not for some injuries last season forcing his hand, things may have been different.

The article seems to imply that Stewart's performance - even behind a bad OLine - is the reason we should look to upgrade. I disagree. Stats are great and all, but anyone watching the games knows that performance isn't an issue.

There are a couple issues though, namely contract and injuries. I think he gets the DeAngelo treatment next offseason, just don't think you can justify that much money on a running back that may or may not play 10 games per year.

Based on that, it makes sense to find an heir apparent this draft, rather than throwing a rookie to the wolves next year.

I'm high on David Johnson from Northern Iowa in the 3rd or 4th.

I'd be ok with Gurley in the 1st but I wouldn't be thrilled about it. If we could trade down to the bottom of the 1st or top of the 2nd and still get him then I'd feel much better about it.

Archived