• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers OTA Notes - Week 2

Jeremy Igo

I'd be fine with Bersin making the team. Why not? He has improved every year and Huddler's were actually high on him as a possession receiver before he was moved to punt returner, a position he should never have played. If he continues improvement, there should be no problem with him being on the bottom of the roster.

• Pie 6

I'd be fine with Bersin making the team. Why not? He has improved every year and Huddler's were actually high on him as a possession receiver before he was moved to punt returner, a position he should never have played. If he continues improvement, there should be no problem with him being on the bottom of the roster.

​Cam loves throwing to him, is a main target in OTA's. 

If Cam likes him.... well..... 

• Pie 7

Thanks for the update. My question is right now the unknown with Shaq Thompson. I know he will not be at OTAs but do you notice any different defensive line-ups where we might plug in Shaq when he gets on the field or do you think that we will have to wait for training camp to see any different formations? 

Week two of Carolina Panthers OTA's are in the books. Here are some general observations you may find intriguing. 

• The offensive line depth chart was identical to last week. No changes there. Remmers and Oher remain the starting tackles. 
  • Speaking of Oher, he and Cam have developed a special handshake to start the practice. Clearly a friendship is developing there. Trust in his protection will play a big role in Cam's play this season. 
  • Corey Brown, Brenton Bersin and Devin Funchess got the most amount of snaps with the first string with Kelvin Benjamin out. Ted Ginn was third in line. Stephen Hill did get in with the first string late in practice for a play or two, made no catches. 
  • Bersin had a great practice today. Lots of key grabs. One drop on a high ball from Cam that was also slightly behind him, but Bersin did get both hands on it, should have caught it. I know many of you are hoping Bersin does not make the team, at this point, however, he looks like a lock to make it. 
  • KK Short saw some time at left defensive end today. I think he could be a real mismatch there for some of the leagues smaller right tackles. 
  • Cameron Artis-Payne remains behind Jonathan Stewart and Fozzy Whitaker on the running back depth chart. Darrin Reaves could be a practice squad player again. 
  • Jordan Todman showed a spark today out of the backfield. Juked Luke Kuechly out of his cleats and showed that speed and shiftiness that the Panthers desperately need. 
  • Charles Johnson jumped up and snatched a Cam Newton ball out of the air as the sidelines errupted. When Johnson landed, he tossed the ball back to Cam immediately in a "here, try again" fashion. The crowd roared with laughter. 
  • Mario Addison and Charles Johnson got the most amount of snaps at defensive end, with Johnson spending much of the time on the right side. This is new as he is usually on the left. 

More images and thoughts coming today and tomorrow. Additional content available in the All-Pro section for All-Pro members who monetarily support this site. You can become an All-Pro Huddler by simply visiting the Huddle Store

​When is the All-Pro content going up? Quit teasing and start pleasing.

If Bersin makes it, then who doesn't?  I think we're only seeing this shift in reps, simply to allow all players a chance to compete.  But in the end, I just don't see Bersin fitting into the picture.  He's a sure handed possession receiver with limited threat after the catch.  Frankly, your team needs one of those guys and we already have that with Cotchery.  Speed, explosiveness and YAC is what makes teams deadly in the passing game.  We finally have some of that on our roster, and Bersin is none of that.

• Pie 1

If Bersin performs, Im 100% on with him making the team. I just don't want him returning punts.... ever. He runs good routes and he seems to have reliable hands. Last year we pulled for him because he came through whenever called upon. But this WR core can really be dangerous and as coach Proehl said, good receivers are not going to make this team this year. If Bersin makes this team, its because he got better, and performed against worthy competition.... and I root for that.

The way you described the defense is really intriguing. Sounds like our guys defense is going to pick up right where we left off. Cam being able to practice against one of the best defenses in the league every single day means Cam stays sharp and continues to grow. Johnson switching to the right means we're planning on giving offenses different looks this year. Good luck game planning against Charles Johnson on the right and KK on the left?? sheesh!

Im having a hard time tempering my optimism from this standpoint:

The offseason moves at WR make that core bigger: Devin Funchess is 6'4, Corey Brown put on 10 pounds of muscle.  Faster: Funch running 4.4 @ pro day, Ted Ginn comes back with the same flashes. (Outliers: Stephen Hill, Damiere Byrd)

Our Oline has come back bigger...

Our young defensive guys come back with experience and have now added depth (Shaq Thompson, Peanut Tillman)

And Cam is ...... healthy.

I don't know many offenses that can physically dominate the opposing defense with size and speed... from QB, RB, WR.... but these guys can really be that team. The team that punishes defenders physically for 4 quarters.

August... get here quickly.

• Pie 1

If Bersin performs, Im 100% on with him making the team. I just don't want him returning punts.... ever. He runs good routes and he seems to have reliable hands. Last year we pulled for him because he came through whenever called upon. But this WR core can really be dangerous and as coach Proehl said, good receivers are not going to make this team this year. If Bersin makes this team, its because he got better, and performed against worthy competition.... and I root for that.

The way you described the defense is really intriguing. Sounds like our guys defense is going to pick up right where we left off. Cam being able to practice against one of the best defenses in the league every single day means Cam stays sharp and continues to grow. Johnson switching to the right means we're planning on giving offenses different looks this year. Good luck game planning against Charles Johnson on the right and KK on the left?? sheesh!

Im having a hard time tempering my optimism from this standpoint:

The offseason moves at WR make that core bigger: Devin Funchess is 6'4, Corey Brown put on 10 pounds of muscle.  Faster: Funch running 4.4 @ pro day, Ted Ginn comes back with the same flashes. (Outliers: Stephen Hill, Damiere Byrd)

Our Oline has come back bigger...

Our young defensive guys come back with experience and have now added depth (Shaq Thompson, Peanut Tillman)

And Cam is ...... healthy.

I don't know many offenses that can physically dominate the opposing defense with size and speed... from QB, RB, WR.... but these guys can really be that team. The team that punishes defenders physically for 4 quarters.

August... get here quickly.

​Man, I'm so pumped right now I'd settle for hot July days in Spartanburg.

• Pie 1