• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Running Backs Review

Jeremy Igo

I think I’d like to see the ‘’backs’’ positions shake out like-

QB-

Newton

Anderson

HB-

Stewart

Artis-Payne

Whittaker

Todman (takes spot previously occupied by Joe Webb)

FB-

Tolbert

Ward (takes spot previously occupied by Richie Brockel)

I think Joe Webb was Cam insurance last season, with the emphasis to run, and on special teams I don’t think a 3rd QB option carries the value of keeping Todman in the fold. Prior to Cam’s injury we ran with two quarterbacks to keep the extra spot open. I think we return to that formula in favor of a value at running back, kick returner, special teams coverage vs inactive or DNP 3rd quarterback.

No offense to Webb as he looked serviceable last pre-season, I just think the team is healthier, and improved across the board in too many areas for him to survive the final cut as I think he’ll make it that far. 

Edited by SetfreexX
  • Pie 2

Kick return skills will probably be the deciding factor between Whitaker and Todman.  I think you keep 4 RB's and cut the fat some place else (like Webb or Brockel).  Whitaker is like Gio Bernard 2.0 and will not make it to our PS, he'll get snatched up in a heart beat.  

​He is PS eligible. Todman is not. 

I understand, but he was a very explosive player for us. If he hits the wire he will be gone. Todman may be one of those tough cuts but you don't cut a guy just to keep a rookie either. At this point the only safe RB is Stewart. I feel DG will give us the best 3 regardless. 

Tough call. Isn't there a trick where we can place someone on IR to protect them from getting plucked and reactive them 6 games in or something? That could buy us some time and insure against an actual injury...maybe.

​I think youre only allowed 1 player to do this with and it would be a big risk to do it with a guy not actually hurt like tolbert was last season.

Seems to me like it'll be Fozzy vs. Todman. I really really love the Foz, but Todman was an upper echelon kick returner, so if he can show enough to be a solid change of pace I think I'd rather keep him. That's assuming CAP is a lock. I'd rather somehow get him to the PS than cut one of Fozzy or Todman. No way Fozzy would make it to our PS, in my opinion. 

This was the 53 man roster at the beginning of the 2014 season:http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Breaking-down-the-53-man-roster/f8b6396f-4ac3-4bc5-b3d3-97deec514f5a

I don't think Joe Webb, Jericho Cotchery, Brandon Williams, and Richie Brockel are making this year's 53, leaving 4 spots open for new guys.

My prediction is we'll carry 4 RBs along with Tolbert at FB. Fozzy is a keeper because of his value in the screen game (playoff TD). Todman is also a keeper because of his kick return value and because his quickness complements Stew/Tolbert.

As for the other 3 openings, we will probably carry an extra LB (7 total) and an extra DB (10 total).

LB: Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, Shaq Thompson, AJ Klein, Adarius Glanton, Jason Trusnik, David Mayo

DB: Josh Norman, Charles Tillman, Bene Benwikere, Melvin White, Carrington Byndom, Garry Peters, Teddy Williams, Tre Boston, Roman Harper, Colin Jones, Kurt Coleman.

Ted Ginn, Jordan Todman, Jason Trusnik, David Mayo, and Teddy Williams all have special teams value.

I don't see us keeping 10 DB/S combined, also you listed 11 players. (7 DB's and 4 S's)

DB: Josh Norman, Charles Tillman, Bene Benwikere, Melvin White, Carrington Byndom, Garry Peters, Teddy Williams, Tre Boston, Roman Harper, Colin Jones, Kurt Coleman.

​I can see us keeping 5 DB's and 4 S's on the active roster, with guys like White or Byndom hitting the PS if eligible. 

My DB list looks more like-

Norman, Tillman, Benwikere, Byndom/White (one will not make it IMO), and Williams.

Same group of Safeties. 

You also cut Brandon Williams at TE, with no drafted TE's and no Brockel (per your cut) who's going to be the 3rd TE? Who would make more sense than keeping Williams? He knows the playbook, still has a lot of potential, and has some familiarity with Cam already.

I don't see us keeping 10 DB/S combined, also you listed 11 players. (7 DB's and 4 S's)

​I can see us keeping 5 DB's and 4 S's on the active roster, with guys like White or Byndom hitting the PS if eligible. 

​I'm not sure if Melvin White is eligible for the practice squad. So, Byndom is most expendable on that list because of his lack of special teams value. I think Peters is just a better CB than Byndom and possibly White, so he has a very good chance of making the 53 man roster.

​I'm not sure if Melvin White is eligible for the practice squad. So, Byndom is most expendable on that list because of his lack of special teams value. I think Peters is just a better CB than Byndom and possibly White, so he has a very good chance of making the 53 man roster.

White is eligible under the exception rules.

Starting to think Peters will end up as an IR stash.

Edited by Mr. Scot