• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trophy Nation: How handing out trophies, regardless of success, may cause failure.

nctarheel0619

You can tell the wannabe competitors from the real competitors.

Wannabe competitors play for a piece if plastic with a brass figurine on top of it.

Real competitors play for the morbid satisfaction of watching your opponent quietly weep in the corner after you defeated them.

Nothing beats the satisfaction of winning and a participation trophy doesn't heal the wounds of losing.

The idea that this has real world implications is stupid.

You can tell the wannabe competitors from the real competitors.

Wannabe competitors play for a piece if plastic with a brass figurine on top of it.

Real competitors play for the morbid satisfaction of watching your opponent quietly weep in the corner after you defeated them.

Nothing beats the satisfaction of winning and a participation trophy doesn't heal the wounds of losing.

The idea that this has real world implications is stupid.

What is best in life.  To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women. 

Back in my day the losing team got cursed out and ran suicide sprints, hills, etc until everyone puked.

Some might think you are slightly exaggerating when you said "until everyone puked",  but I remember that to be the literal truth. I also remember two a day August practices.  There was no reward if you lost. Hell I remember even after a win, the coaches would review game film and chart everybody's missed assignments,  penalties and mistakes, and we were punished accordingly. 

while passing out trophies may be the greatest travesty hitting middle class suburbia believe it or not there are more important things going on in the world

llike the debate over how you treat a crying child in public......now that is serious poo  right there

while passing out trophies may be the greatest travesty hitting middle class suburbia believe it or not there are more important things going on in the world

yes I agree that there are many more pressing and depressing issues going on in our nation and world, but thats precisely the reason it's nice to have outlets like the huddle to be able to discuss the more trival issues of the day. Thank God we  have football and other sports that provide useful diversion from the many negative problems we have to endure daily. 

yes I agree that there are many more pressing and depressing issues going on in our nation and world, but thats precisely the reason it's nice to have outlets like the huddle to be able to discuss the more trival issues of the day. Thank God we  have football and other sports that provide useful diversion from the many negative problems we have to endure daily. 

Lol. Exactly.

When I played Little League we went to the World Series as 15 year olds (not the 12 year olds that ESPN pimps out yearly) representing USA South.  The only time we got anything individually is when we won a tournament to keep moving foward and what was given was a pin to stick on our hats.  The TEAM got a trophy and a banner,  2nd place didn't get poo but an ass whoopin'.  

When I played Little League we went to the World Series as 15 year olds (not the 12 year olds that ESPN pimps out yearly) representing USA South.  The only time we got anything individually is when we won a tournament to keep moving foward and what was given was a pin to stick on our hats.  The TEAM got a trophy and a banner,  2nd place didn't get poo but an ass whoopin'.  

Still pretty bad ass you went that far. Awesome experience not many will have . Good poo . Looking back ... That experience was/is your trophy.

I'm pretty sure there needs to be a manly men Hall of Fame.  You, Derek Jeter (he gives baskets of gifts to his females after he bangs them, then sends them on the way), Luke, Ron Burgundy, and Charlie Sheen all need statues in that Hall of Fame.  

Can I nominate Charles Bronson in Deathwish and John McClain for this HOF? 

My youngest son is 15 and plays sports at a high level and gets trophies only for winning now. As a child he got all the participatory trophies. A year or two ago he took all of those trophies and packed them away saying they didn't count and weren't worth keeping. 

He got themessage and is anything besides a wuss and wasn't hurt by the experience. I would think kids who they are referring to never play anything at a high level and likely needed trophies to build their self esteem as a child. Truth is if they continue in sports beyond 10, they figure it out and aren't hurt by awards won as a small child for participation.

Archived