• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Left Tackle Daryl Williams?

Jeremy Igo

I think CelibatePimp invented this below 320 prototype. The Prototype recently has been like 6'6" and about 330.

Nah, he is knowledgeable about football and he is getting it from years of seeing LT's being 20 lbs under the RT.  Road Grader is used for RT's about 95% of the time where LT's get graded more on their feet.

I don't totally agree with him, but his not out to lunch as some of you suspect.  I am hoping, like everyone else, the DW can develop great feet to go along with his strength and attitude.  He might not ever be a LT in practice anymore either, you never know.  With the other guys being out, this might have been just a body for practice.  Hope not though

Unfounded? Cason, Godfrey, Silatolu, Chandler, Decoud, White, Avant. Every one of those guys were getting meaningful snaps when they shouldn't have been. Good lord they didn't get rid of Cason until we were 3-8-1. He should've been cut after week 4.

Once again it is untrue that those veterans shouldnt have played over the guys who eventually replaced them.  At the time the season started, the guys who eventually replaced them for the most part, where not ready to assume starting roles.  Chandler for example was really our own option until Remmers was signed at the end of October.  Then Remmers had to be trained and learn the offense and gel with the team.  He was actually thrown in there early than ideal but did much better than anyone expected.  The same thing could be said about the other guys you mentioned.

It is totally naive to think that you can just plug a guy in and he can play at a high level especially if he is a rookie.  That only happens in Madden.  

• Pie 1

Some of you guys get waaaay too worked up over things that happen in training camp...did you just start watching football this year?

I don't see a single problem with getting all hyped up over tidbits of news that reinforce the expectation of a season with a better outcome.  What difference does it make for a fan to feel this way or any other?

davos, I figured this would be as good of a time as any to point out that Williams has 35" arms.

Fuging poo, the quote function on this forum is a disaster.

Yeah in my earlier post I alluded to him having all the other measurables scouts usually look for.  He's a monster.  

Once again it is untrue that those veterans shouldnt have played over the guys who eventually replaced them.  At the time the season started, the guys who eventually replaced them for the most part, where not ready to assume starting roles.  Chandler for example was really our own option until Remmers was signed at the end of October.  Then Remmers had to be trained and learn the offense and gel with the team.  He was actually thrown in there early than ideal but did much better than anyone expected.  The same thing could be said about the other guys you mentioned.

It is totally naive to think that you can just plug a guy in and he can play at a high level especially if he is a rookie.  That only happens in Madden.  

So you think the coaches should get a pass for trotting Antoine Cason and Charles Godfrey out there at corner over Josh Norman? They should've seen that the first week of camp.

Edited by Nate Dogg

So you think the coaches should get a pass for trotting Antoine Cason and Charles Godfrey out there at corner over Josh Norman? They should've seen that the first week of camp.

Cason had an average preseason, even looking decent at times before the GB game, but no excuse for Godfrey.  I like the guy and wish him well but he was clearly underperforming.

• Pie 1

Generally speaking, it's not easy to see how far along the individual players are at this point. There are plays being made in camp and guys are looking good, others are showing flashes, but the real indication of preparedness is when you see them playing against another team, so until then it's a little premature to say this guy is going to be alright or this guy is going to be awful. 

At least Ron hasn't yelled at a bunch of them at once yet, so that's a good sign.

• Pie 1

Do you remember why Norman did not start last year?  I do.  What they saw was that Norman wasn't where he needed to be to much of the time which is critical in our defense and was fundamentally unsound. It wasn't his talent level but his maturity.  As the season unfolded he did what he asked to do and improve tremendously.  Hence the reason they Cason was released. I thought Godfrey was playing safety not corner?? 

• Pie 2

As others have stated, if Oher is struggling on gamedays, I hope Ron doesn't wait until week 8 to give Williams a shot at LT.

We don't need Daryl or Oher to be a HOFer, just not getting Cam killed would be am improvement over Bell.

If Rivera waits until week 8 then that is how long it took for the staff to get him ready to start.  This whole notion that Rivera only plays veterans until he has to put in new guys is really stupid.  Didnt he start Cam day 1 as a rookie?  Star?  Luke at Will, Benjamin last year.  The list is really long.

Putting in a rookie is always risky and in our defense, it can be disasterous particularly in the back 7.  Everything is based on accountability and being where you have to be on each and every play.  One guy out of position and you give up a big play.  It takes time to learn this system which is why except for Luke few if any rookies start in this defense day 1 out of linebackers and secondary personnel.

The Offense is pretty complicated as well.  Obviously each player is unique but the whole notion that coaches would not play the best guy is ridiculous.  And to assume that Ron is not a good judge of talent given the rest of the coaches and Gettleman as wel as his pedigree is stupid as well. 

Edited by panthers55
  • Pie 3