• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Daryl Williams is the #1 graded OT by PFF

ooglechi

Ok, I'm almost so embarrassed to ask this I feel I might need to turn in my fan card but who plays what position on our O line again?! I know Oher is left, Kalil is center. So is Trai RG, Remmers RT, Norwell is LG and Williams is RT, do I have that right?! As much as I follow and live and breathe this team I am very embarrassed to ask this.

Panthers.com has a depth chart. You can always look there for info and updates.

Just rewatched the game. Cam never came close to getting hit. This line has a nice gel this early. Could be a good year for our running backs and Cam. 

Just need a receiver or tight end to emerge and the O should be solid. 

Cam needs to realize this too, saw him geget happy feet and short arm some throws when there was no real threat. He has to relearn to trust the line and stick with his fundamentals. Add some confidence in the receivers and we should see the O come together.

I have a feeling that Amini is going to be a cut and will not make the 53-man roster.  This guy has been injury prone and overall pretty ineffective during his Panther tenure. I hope the Panthers have learned their lesson on drafting O-lineman from small schools.  From now let's only draft big boys from big schools for the oline.

One thing that's been going on for several seasons and bugs the hell out of me is when Kalil allows some penetration, but stops it at the last second. This almost always results in Cam throwing off his back foot,or just using his upper body, even though the lineman has been stopped and is several feet away. This makes me want to pull my hair out. Kalil does this a lot, and it makes Cam stop from stepping into his throw, and I know it's going to be an incomplete pass. It will be interesting to see if Cam plays better with Kalil most likely sitting out the next preseason game.

One thing that's been going on for several seasons and bugs the hell out of me is when Kalil allows some penetration, but stops it at the last second. This almost always results in Cam throwing off his back foot,or just using his upper body, even though the lineman has been stopped and is several feet away. This makes me want to pull my hair out. Kalil does this a lot, and it makes Cam stop from stepping into his throw, and I know it's going to be an incomplete pass. It will be interesting to see if Cam plays better with Kalil most likely sitting out the next preseason game.

That's on Cam to trust his protection, not Kalil. 

Cam needs to realize this too, saw him geget happy feet and short arm some throws when there was no real threat. He has to relearn to trust the line and stick with his fundamentals. Add some confidence in the receivers and we should see the O come together.

One thing I've noticed about cam= it's not always that he throws off his back foot, but that he leans his upper body back more than other QB's. You can see it in Jeremy's still pics. I guess it's just natural for him. 

Anyway, I didn't mean to change the subject...Williams does indeed look great right now.

Ryan's giving up a few pounds on some of his competition (playing weight listed at 300 lbs), plus the center is at a momentary leverage disadvantage at the snap. He's pretty experienced as well, so he might be timing his hits for maximum impact on off-balance players. 

Centers are also generally in charge of blocking assignments and pick ups, with so many younger players on our line, he may be busy directing traffic and looking for places to help out. 

Either way, Kalil's not the problem there, it's Cam. He's got to be calmer, trust his guys and set his feet for throws. He's still sailing too many passes, but he is getting a bit better each year.

PFF has now posted their free grades / takeaways for Dolphins - Panthers

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/08/24/grades-for-dolphins-panthers/

Carolina Panthers

–QB Cam Newton completed just two of his seven passes thrown at least 10 yards in the air, including a forced throw to TE Greg Olsen that was intercepted.

–Rookie fourth-round OT Daryl Williams put together his second straight good game as he finished at +2.7 overall. He’s yet to allow a pressure on 43 pass-block attempts this preseason.

–First-round LB Shaq Thompson showed his strengths and weaknesses in his 21 snaps of action (+0.2 overall). He made a nice tackle in space in coverage on the goal line and ran with Cameron down the field on Tannehill’s nice deep throw to show the athletic dimension he brings to the Panthers’ defense. On the down side, he gets blocked too often in the running game, as evidenced by his getting pinned at the second level on a Dolphins’ first quarter touchdown run.

Top grades:

1. OT Daryl Williams +2.7

2. CB Teddy Williams +2.4

3. DE Kony Ealy +1.6

4. CB Melvin White +1.4

5. FS Dean Marlowe + 1.4

Archived