• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If You Are Unsure What Carolina is Getting With Jared Allen...

chknwing

Dayum he laid the boom on Palmer a couple of times. I hope we get every ounce of football this guy has left. Who knows if he likes being a Panther maybe we get a good deal done and get more than just a one year loaner.

I pointed out last night that he's a likely cut after this year considering his salary level in 2016 and 2017 (for which he's under contract) at $8 million per.

BUT if he balls out this year and management thinks he can continue to play at that level (lets just arbitrarily put # of sacks for this "balling out" level at 8) and he continues to play good run defense like he always has, then $8 million for a player like that is a good investment. 

All depends on the budget plan Gettleshorts has laid out and whether another $8 million would have a big adverse impact on it and the re-signing of younger, talented players.

For what it's worth, Allen was rated at +2.9 that game while Ealy was rated 0 and Johnson was a -1.3 that same week against Houston. So even in an unnatural position for him, he still outplayed both Johnson and Ealy. Don't see how anyone could not be excited by the signing.

I have zero numbers about it but I just heard on the radio that the Bears are on the hook for a lot of his money. Again no details so not sure if that means only for this year or what. Should be interesting to see the details of his salary for us over the length of the contract.

This article talks about the effect of this year:

http://overthecap.com/bears-trade-jared-allen-to-the-panthers/#more-10667

"The Bears will have paid Allen $11.676 million this year for three games worth of work that resulted in 4 tackles. The Panthers will only pay Allen slightly over $823,000 for the remainder of the season."

It looks like we are on the hook for $8.5 and $8 respectively in 2016 and 2017 but got a great deal for this year.

I have zero numbers about it but I just heard on the radio that the Bears are on the hook for a lot of his money. Again no details so not sure if that means only for this year or what. Should be interesting to see the details of his salary for us over the length of the contract.

This article talks about the effect of this year:

http://overthecap.com/bears-trade-jared-allen-to-the-panthers/#more-10667

"The Bears will have paid Allen $11.676 million this year for three games worth of work that resulted in 4 tackles. The Panthers will only pay Allen slightly over $823,000 for the remainder of the season."

He counts as $823,000 against the cap this year, $8.5mil next year, $8mil after that. Cutting him either next year or the year after results $0 dead money.

I love it.  Allen has always been entertaining to watch.  The video from the OP shows us what we're getting, someone who knows how to rush the passer.  How excited do you think he is coming here?  He's a vet guy, who can come here, show that he's still a dominate end at the twilight of his career.  I'm so excited to see him in a Panthers uniform!

Contract wise, he'll either be asked to take a MASSIVE pay cut, or he'll be cut.  If he still is good in situations, he's not every down anymore, and if he has some success here, I could see him deciding to hang out for a little while, but it will have to be at the right price.

The dough in 2016 and 2017 is not guaranteed.  He can be cut without penalty.  Now whether or not he is cut and/or restructures will likely depend upon his play for the remainder of this season.  

I hope he balls out.  At 33, maybe we can get  three good years out of him. 

If it works out well here, Allen will restructure his contract for next year.  No guy is going to play without compensation, but I imagine being on a good football team trumps a million here or there for a guy that has made his bank over the last decade.

Now, Josh Norman... dude is going to want (and should want) to make every dollar he can since this may be his one big shot

Archived