• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Was this the plan all along?

bLACKpANTHER

We all knew Jno was looking to cash in big time - it was just a matter of how much Getts would offer.

We all knew his asking price would be around Sherman, PP and Revis price.

We all knew Jno isn't short on self confidence or building himself up - hence coming down in price would be at a minimum. 

^^Knowing all of that, why did Gettleman only offer just a lil over 10 mil @ year? Do you think maybe, just maybe Getts knew he would never take the offer to save face a bit instead of just letting Jno walk free from the beginning? Seems odd to offer peanuts to someone who was so vocal that he was looking for top dollar..

Thoughts? 

I think if Josh would've been 100% content playing out on the tag this year (if he signed it immediately, showed up for voluntary workouts, etc.) and then hitting the market next year, then we would've kept him. The distraction of Josh clearly hating the idea of playing on the tag was definitely a factor in the move.

I don't think Josh hated the idea of playing on the tag at all. He said he was fine with it. I think the only reason he didn't sign it was following bad advice from a stupid agent that was out of his league (literally).  The whole not signing and not showing up to voluntary minicamps wasn't Josh being a distraction or discontent, was just an ill-advised strategy tactic. 

13 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

We all knew Jno was looking to cash in big time - it was just a matter of how much Getts would offer.

We all knew his asking price would be around Sherman, PP and Revis price.

We all knew Jno isn't short on self confidence or building himself up - hence coming down in price would be at a minimum. 

^^Knowing all of that, why did Gettleman only offer just a lil over 10 mil @ year? Do you think maybe, just maybe Getts knew he would never take the offer to save face a bit instead of just letting Jno walk free from the beginning? Seems odd to offer peanuts to someone who was so vocal that he was looking for top dollar..

Thoughts? 

Norman had a while to sign the tender. Gettleman couldn't have known whether or not he would at any point before the offer was rescinded. 

yeah i was thinking about it last night. i think the bad advice was for josh to act like he wasn't worried about signing it and saying stuff about being at the beach and not having to do anything until he signs. gettleman said he wants guys who are all in. josh could have signed it immediately and that would have shown he was all in. instead his agent used it as a stage. the other lesson is that if you want something/somebody you don't sit around and not do it. josh waited and gettleman had time to rethink his plans and what he could do with the money.

If you really want to go all conspiracy theorist then Gettleman tagged Norman knowing he wouldn't sign the tender so he could take up the $14M in cap space during free agency so fans wouldn't bitch about him not using the cap space to sign players and then pulled the tag 6 weeks later after all the top free agents had signed to get the cap space back when there was no one left to bitch about him not signing.

Get your tin foil hats ready.

No, I do not actually believe this.

No, it wasn't the plan all along.  It was a contingency. Gettleman doesn't like not being able to lock up his home-grown, core players long term. The tag is only used as a tool when there are no other options available, but it's only meant to prolong the amount of time he has to get a deal done. When he realized that was just not possible, he let him go. Keeping a star player locked up via the tag has already bitten him once (Hardy), so I bet he's not too keen on relying on it again, unless he really thinks there's something to be gained long-term from it.  Gettleman is ALL about the longterm.  If you offered him the chance to get the best goddamn player the league has ever seen at any position for 2 years vs. the chance to develop a player who will end up being top 5 at his position for 10 years, I bet he takes the latter every time.

6 hours ago, ThPantherFan said:

Gettleman gambled and won.  If Josh signed his tag and showed up at practice then he had a winner for another year.  If Josh held out, became a distraction, then he could let him go knowing a compensatory pick would come the Panthers way. 

Not to mention that some team may have been stupid enough to give up 2 first round picks for him. 

Yes Cleveland, I'm looking at you.

Archived