• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Teams Informing Some Prospects They Will Go Undrafted Early

Ship

Via: http://walterfootball.com/tonypaulinerumors.php

Teams around the league are engaged in the annual ritual of sending letters or emails and even calling prospects they would like the opportunity to sign as undrafted free agents. This of course assumes the players are not chosen during the seven rounds. The way some teams are going about this venture is creating bad blood. 

I know of three instances where a pair of teams (who will remain nameless for the time being) called players and informed them that they were unlikely to be drafted, and the teams wanted the chance to sign them as free agents afterwards. In some instances the player's agent was called and given the same line. The problem arose as all the players contacted are expected to be middle-round choices and are very likely to be unavailable once the draft is complete. Hearing from teams they were "likely to go undrafted" has soured both players and agents on these teams and left a trail of angry people.

This is really interesting to me because I never thought about the logistics behind it. Sometimes we've heard from our UDFAs saying they talked on the phone and stuff. That has to be pretty disheartening for a prospect to hear a couple days before the draft. I'm surprised this is the first time I ever have heard of some outrage though, so I guess the guys who are usually contacted must know they are on the edge.

Next, this makes me wonder who fuged up. I don't think it's us, but I also wouldn't be surprised based on the way we tell people their value straight up. This must be pretty awkward for the players and the teams who did it though, especially if the guy is sitting there in the mid to late rounds.

I mean it sucks especially after working so hard to get there but in the end players have to realize that each team averages, I don't know, six picks?  That's nothing.  The fact that a team still wants you would be enough to make me perk up.  There's been plenty of undrafted talent who have gone on to have fantastic careers.

It does seem a bit disrespectful, not to mention against NFL rules, but it happens. Everyone tries to get a leg up so they seek these guys out earlier and earlier, I'm not sure it's having the desired effect though. I could imagine being totally turned off to a team by them telling me I'm not going to be drafted, especially days before the biggest day of my life. 

I mean, who wants to go to a team that has such a low opinion of them? Don't call me until after the draft, say you had other needs to fill with your picks but they couldn't believe everyone else passed on me as well. These guys are probably dejected so any ego boost is better than "hey when you go undrafted will you sign here?"

I'm just hoping we kick in our 7th rounder in a trade this year, so Gettleman can start working the phones after the 5th. It's probably because of the role UDFAs have played on the team lately, but I almost love the few hours after the draft more than much of the actual draft. Always seems like a mad scramble and constant Twitter/Huddle refreshing to see who we can add. 

It's retarded that teams are allowed to do this. No team knows poo about the others so who knows who is going un drafted. Secondly, it's almost like getting extra picks. They're vulturing these kids who may not get drafted, in the event they don't they'll be disheartened obviously, but these teams will be there to give them an "oppurtunity". Hope these kids put the teams on blast.

I don't get it. If you know even a little about the draft, you know team's boards vary greatly. I wouldn't give a flying flip if two teams told me that. If any one of the other 30 teams want me in any round,  that's all it takes. And if not,  thanks for letting me know you're interested as an UDFA. 

1 hour ago, Arroz con Panther said:

I mean it sucks especially after working so hard to get there but in the end players have to realize that each team averages, I don't know, six picks?  That's nothing.  The fact that a team still wants you would be enough to make me perk up.  There's been plenty of undrafted talent who have gone on to have fantastic careers.

since its 7 rounds, id assume average # of picks per team would be 7

Archived