• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UDFA Lookout: WR Keyarris Garrett Impact: Highlights + Notes

Saca312

A Glance at the UDFA Crop

This year's UDFA crop has most Panthers fans excited. So much, that some would say UDFA was more exciting to them than the actual draft itself. What's to blame these fans anyhow, with the likes of potential 2-5 rounders like SS Jeremy Cash and WR Keyarris Garrett just falling in our laps after the draft. FB/RB Devon Johnson also looks like he could be primed to be a future Mike Tolbert replacement, with the right coaching and effort. These UDFA's will make Training Camp much more heated, and I can tell you plenty of players that other teams would consider starters or good depth won't even make the roster. We just have so much potential and talent now, and I'm sure that a few of these UDFA's will contribute to that. Trust me, 1-3+ of these UDFA's will make the roster, and have some sort of impact, whether depth or starting. Now here's who I believe may be a potential WR in next year's roster.

Top of the Crop: WR Keyarris Garrett
c37f1d00-7c00-11e5-b231-dd2af8460c18_tulsa-2.gif

"Big Men allow you to compete" -Nippleshorts

I don't know about you, but this guy has me excited. He's a prospect that could become great with the right coaching and diligence. He's able to make some reliable catches for a guy with 9" hands. He's 6'3", 220 lbs., with 96 catches, 1588 yds., and 8 TDs. In comparison, Devin Funchess is 6'4", 225 lbs., and Kelvin Benjamin is 6'5", 245 lbs. He's a big man. Just think about these tall monsters lining up on the field together, just waiting for the secondary to dare try something on them. Here's a little something to put this into perspective:

rsz_bigvs-small (1).jpgrsz_bigvs-small (1).jpgrsz_bigvs-small (1).jpg

"Big men allow you to compete" -Dave Fugging Gettleman

Keyarris Garrett has a limited route tree, and has a tendancy to let defenders tackle him easily after he catches, making him a limited threat to burst down the field after the catch. He has a 4.53 time on the dash, not very eye-popping for most, but decent. He'll need to work on using his hips and body better to become a downfield threat. He also has a tendency to be pushed towards the sidelines, according to a couple of sources and tape.

Regardless, he's a big bodied receiver who's made impressive numbers in his college career. He's had good games against some good corners at the college level (Sanchez being one). He can be utilized as a deep threat on some plays, being able to burn defenders and getting down deep in the field to make the catch. He's a good sure-handed receiver that I think will work well with some coaching up, and getting used to Cam's hypersonic missiles. Him and Hill will be fun to watch during TC for sure.

Here's some highlights that I liked.

1. Catching the Un-Catchable

ezgif-1244149123.gif

In this replay, Garrett comes in running his route, and then reaching out and grabbing an off football to his left. I like how he was able to turn his body and adjust himself to make that tough catch with his long arms. He'll make QB's look good with how he's able to catch these off-balls. His ability to catch is something our team desperately needs, and he looks to fit the bill for a reliable target.

2. Making CB Zach Sanchez look bad

ezgif-3844103924.gif

Yes, I had to. 

In this highlight, Keyarris Garrett is shown to make a great jab, catching CB Zach Sanchez off guard, and creating enough separation to catch a pretty tight football in press coverage. His good catching skills are yet again highlighted in this clip, and the fact he was able to do this in press coverage says something. He just seems like a player that'll make a good impact. He's got some skills that'll turn him into something great.

3. Long Strides = Oh My

ezgif-2634613000.gif  

To make up for that 4.53 time, WR Garrett makes use of his legs and has that CB done for from the start in this highlight. He's able to become a viable deep threat with those long strides of his. These long strides force CB's to put in some extra gas to just catch up to this guy. He's a matchup challenge for CB's with his size and strides, and would be just awesome on the field.

To Conclude:

WR Keyarris Garrett has potential to become a decent WR on our team. A 3 WR matchup of Kelvin, Fun-Fun, and Gar-Gar would just be a nightmare for defenses. With work on breaking tackles and his route tree, he'll become an immediate UDFA that we can all look back on and just cry at how beautiful this UDFA really is.

tumblr_inline_mh2areWMH31qmndya.gif

I still have no clue how he went undrafted. It's not like he was one of those super high production guys with awful measurable that often fall way down. He has ideal size and 4.5 is great for how big he is. Not to mention he lit it up when he went against good comp so he wasn't just destroying poor comp. Somewhat limited route tree but he made downfield plays. It was just hitches and slants all day. He can go up and high point the ball over CBs and he's drastically improved his hands. I'm slightly upset Gettleman didn't draft him in the 5th or 7th lol

3 minutes ago, Bartin said:

I still have no clue how he went undrafted. It's not like he was one of those super high production guys with awful measurable that often fall way down. He has ideal size and 4.5 is great for how big he is. Not to mention he lit it up when he went against good comp so he wasn't just destroying poor comp. Somewhat limited route tree but he made downfield plays. It was just hitches and slants all day. He can go up and high point the ball over CBs and he's drastically improved his hands. I'm slightly upset Gettleman didn't draft him in the 5th or 7th lol

Indeed. I'm sure not complaining about the fact we didn't go for him in the 5th or 7th, since we got him anyways as an UDFA. I think concerns over his leg, fact he's easy to tackle, and route running ability has some people concerned. Still think he'll turn out to be a stud in the near future with proper coaching.

6 minutes ago, Bartin said:

Slightly upset we didnt use our picks on a guy we got as a UDFA?

what?

I really like this kid and hoping we strike gold with him. I have no information on such a thing but I wonder if maybe there was some knock on his ability to learn the routes? Cause other than that unknown possibility nothing else seems to make sense based on his talent. LOVE his apparent ability to be solid catching the football... with that height and his arms offers a big catch radius. The long stride seems to be a plus minus as I think long stride also makes for a bit of a slower get off the line? Can't wait to see this guy competing for us and really hope he makes his mark.

8 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Indeed. I'm sure not complaining about the fact we didn't go for him in the 5th or 7th, since we got him anyways as an UDFA. I think concerns over his leg, fact he's easy to tackle, and route running ability has some people concerned. Still think he'll turn out to be a stud in the near future with proper coaching.

7 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

Slightly upset we didnt use our picks on a guy we got as a UDFA?

what?

I was mostly joking about the part about not drafting him. I did want Garrett when the picks were made though.

Slightly limited route  tree is an understatement. That said his production was great.  Top speed is very good.great wingspan and arm length. Fwiw, his wingspan is 11 greater than one Sterling Sheppard. NFL body right now. 

Why he fell: injury history, level of competition, age compared to competition, route tree, played 1 side of field, average athlete (per sparq).  His 10 yard split, three cone and short shuttle numbers were dreadful. Not saying he is a bust but from an  athletic analytic study, sparq really does like him. 

Rather have got Marquez North. Younger and top 15 per sparq. 

Was thinking about the stride length of a tall receiver vs. a shorter CB. If they both have the exact same 40 time, does the long stride give an advantage? My first thought would be no since they have the same 40 time, but would there be an advantage in effort in producing the speed? I think this is what OP is getting at on point #3, but I've never considered it before. Wouldn't the shorter-legged CB have to exert more effort to keep up with the longer strides?

Archived