• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can some please explain to me how...

AceBoogie

7 hours ago, top dawg said:

All Ihave to say is, the concept of a strong D-line compensating for a weak to mediocre secondary should be put to rest. The importance of a symbiotic relationship has pretty much been put on blast this season.

I don't know. We didn't have either this year. I think that's why people are so upset with Gettleman. And to be honest, injury didn't have anything to do with that.

9 hours ago, AceBoogie said:
How is this even possible? 

Who's to blame?

Here is a comparison.

PanthersD20152016.PNG

Compare the two sides and it is obvious what has changed on defense. You went from a wealth of knowledge, leadership, and production to inexperience, confusion, and struggle. The players in green lack the experience in replacing the lost players in red.

These are all the players who have received 30% or more of the defensive snaps for the Panthers. There are 10 players in each season who have received  50% or more of the snaps. Only 4 of the top 10 players in on field production remain from the 2015 season, and you can see the major void left by Josh Norman.

The DL lacks a consistent 3rd DT in the rotation. The DEs are lacking a 4th DE in their rotation capable of replacing Jared Allen. CJ and Star are logging more field time to make up for the lack of dependable talent along the DL.

There is not much change with the LBs. They are seeing more work this season compared to last season.

The DBs are where the problems exist. The FS position has not been consistent. The void at the SS position from losing Roman Harper has not been adequately replaced by Kurt Coleman. The CB position in 2015 saw consistency with 3 CBs carrying the responsibility. The rookies this season have struggled to fill the voids left by the play of Tillman and Bene from the 2015 season. Meanwhile, Josh Norman's consistency and production has not been replaced in 2016.

Gettleman created many holes in that defense and asking coaches to make those massive inflow of changes to work was a tall task for even the best coaches in the game. Gettleman deserves a bulk of the blame for the product he put out on the field with the defense.

This also shows that injuries were more of an issue for the 2015 team, then they were for the 2016 team. Luke, TD, CJ, Jared Allen, Bene, and Peanut all experienced a loss of playing time due to injuries in 2015. Luke, Bradberry, and Johnson were the only key defensive players to miss time due to injury so far in 2016.

Turnovers are part of it.

We are near bottom of the league in turnover differential.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-turnover-differential-statistics/2016/

The only teams worse then us are the Jags, Jets, Bears, Texans, and Browns.  Not really the elite of the NFL.

If you look at the numbers closer you will see that the Defense is actually 10th in the league in taking the ball away but the offense is 29th in the league in keeping it.  

Also I'm not convinced our defense was as good last year as some people think.

We led the league in turnover differential last year by a huge margin.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-turnover-differential-statistics/2015/

To expect that to happen again would have been unrealistic.

I'm sure losing Norman hurt and it easy to blame the front office but I think the players and coaches have to share some of the blame also.

2015: DEs - Addison, Allen, Delaire, Ealy, Johnson

2016: DEs - Addison, Horton, Delaire, Ealy, Johnson

We switched out Allen for Horton.  I think a lot of people thought Ealy was about to take that next step, especially after his Super Bowl performance.  A lot of people on this site thought Allen was washed up and Delaire needed more snaps. 

2015: DTs - Lotulelei, Short, Edwards, Love

2016: DTs - Lotulelei, Short, Soliai, Butler

We switched out Edwards and Love for a FA in Soliai and a first round pick.

On paper this should have been an improvement.  Butler has been injured some and Soliai has been inactive some which is odd since we signed him as a FA for a moderate amount of money.

LBs: we switched out Ben Jacobs for Jeremy Cash and Jared Norris.  

2015: CBs -  Charles Tillman, Josh Norman, Bene Benwikere, Teddy Williams (Finnegan, McClain, and Young also were on the roster during the year)

2016 : CBs - Daryl Worley, James Bradberry, Bene Bensikere, Teddy Williams, Robert Mclain

We switched out Norman and Tillman(or Finnegan) for Bradberry and Worley.

Norman to a 2nd round rookie would be an expected drop off.  Finnegan was signed off of the street during the season.  Was expecting a third round rookie to take his spot unrealistic?

2015 Safety - Harper, Marlow, Boston, Coleman, Jones

2016 Safety - Marlow, Boston, Coleman, Jones

Was Harper that much better then Boston?  According to a lot of the GMs on this site anyone would be an upgrade over Harper.

I don't think there is any one single thing to blame for the season.  A lot of factors went into it.

Archived