• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bo Jackson says Cam's blows to the head "scare the hell out of me"

truthjuice

Great article. 

“The person I love in the NFL like my own son is Cam Newton (also a Heisman winner from Auburn). I cuss him out like my own son. But every time he takes a hit to his head, that scares me, it scares the hell out of me.

“I witnessed him getting hit hard twice, and both times go to the locker room. I know he can take care of himself, but it still scares me.  I care about all of those players playing, I don’t want to see anybody getting hurt.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/01/16/bo-jackson-football-cte-cam-newton/96642018/

I wish Cam cared that much about the blows to his own head.

I'm not attacking Cam by any means, so the people that want to jump down my throat can cool their jets, but from what I saw last season Cam was only frustrated with the hits to the head but got down right pissed off when they dove at his knees. 

But that's the culture of the game for many of these guys. A knee means they'll sit out a year so it's more immediate, but the head injuries only linger down the road, something these young guys don't seem to worry about which is a shame because they're doing their future selves no favors by ignoring the potential hazards. 

I don't want Cam, Luke, hell, even Matt Ryan or any other player to go through what Junior Seau went through. 

6 minutes ago, rippadonn said:

People think the bias against Cam is disgusting and I'm glad the ratings show it. 

It seems like interest in the games and the ratings were a lot higher last year. Cam having the spotlight most certainly was the cause of that. 

Should the nfl adopt a rule like targeting in college. Maybe not quite as strict but some hits should lead to automatic ejection. I dont think a 15 yd penalty and a small fine is enough for these head shots.

I would say obj on norman should have. Some of burficts hits. Honestly, i think darien stewarts hit on cam this year was flagrant.

On the one hand i sorta feel they should but i also dont trust the refs to enforce it fairly at all.

Curious what others think on that.

Sent from my SM-T710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

49 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I wish Cam cared that much about the blows to his own head.

I'm not attacking Cam by any means, so the people that want to jump down my throat can cool their jets, but from what I saw last season Cam was only frustrated with the hits to the head but got down right pissed off when they dove at his knees. 

But that's the culture of the game for many of these guys. A knee means they'll sit out a year so it's more immediate, but the head injuries only linger down the road, something these young guys don't seem to worry about which is a shame because they're doing their future selves no favors by ignoring the potential hazards. 

I don't want Cam, Luke, hell, even Matt Ryan or any other player to go through what Junior Seau went through. 

I kind of feel like he was but he wasn't until that concussion. He's always preaching about this being a physical sport and he knows he's gonna be hit. But I think maybe the knee dive is what pissed him off but the concussion is what probably opened his eyes a little more. I totally agree with you about the knee having the more immediate effect and thus they tend to care more about an ACL than they do a concussion or some lingering side effect 10 years down the road  

I wish all players cared. I don't think these guys who are doing the targeting realize they could knock or seriously injure themselves. Football is a physical sport and I don't mind it. But I do believe there's a way to play clean physical football. Bo mentioned in the article that they teach tackling which is so important imo  

What Junior and many others go through is heartbreaking. But the league wants to preach player safety. 

As a mom, I got very antsy this past season every time Cam took a hit. He has three children, he has to start thinking more about that--which I'm sure he probably does now. But the league in general needs to take that serious for every player, not just Cam. 

Should the nfl adopt a rule like targeting in college. Maybe not quite as strict but some hits should lead to automatic ejection. I dont think a 15 yd penalty and a small fine is enough for these head shots.

I would say obj on norman should have. Some of burficts hits. Honestly, i think darien stewarts hit on cam this year was flagrant.

On the one hand i sorta feel they should but i also dont trust the refs to enforce it fairly at all.

Curious what others think on that.

Sent from my SM-T710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

It isn't a terrible idea, in fact if the NFL refs weren't a bunch of old blind geezers who have no business on a NFL field it would be a great idea. But given who the refs are I wouldn't want to give them that power or rely on their judgement for it.

Sent from my XT1254 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

2 hours ago, Snake said:

Needs to be ran in every newspaper. Someone has to force the NFL to actually hold people accountable.

If I were Cam, I would put the NFL on notice they I am planning to sue for the head shots I have taken.  Than take all the videos of the head shots were nothing was called and compare them to similar shots other QBs have taken where the calls are made.    It would so a biased towards other QBs.

The NFL has to be held accountable.  In my opinion, the NFL is allowing these refs to ignore the rule because he is a large man.  The NFL does not stipulate size and every time he is hit in the head helmet to helmet should be called.   The guy is 6'5" and if a defender is going to hit him in the head.  HE HAS TO LAUNCH HIMSELF TO DO IT.  On the rare occasion where Cam lowers his head I can understand but most headshots they are launching at him.

Archived