• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SBNation has us trading up to #5

Growl

If he is what the football world thinks he is then go for it.  Cam needs the help.

The defensive side of the ball is not far away from being back to form, a stong safety and a pass rusher are all we need IMO and those can be had in later rounds annnnnd FA.  Go get fournette and lets add another elite player to the roster.

4 minutes ago, rodeo said:

I would leapfrog the Jags, because they're going to take either Adams or Fournette who are the two guys we're eyeing. If we want a specific one of those two players, we might want to get in front of them to not risk it.

you move all the way up to 3 and you possibly put yourself in position to consider Allen as well.

I'm not sure what the draft value chart says is the price to move up to 3 but I'm guessing it's our 2nd or next year's 1st.

I think waiting to see who Jax picks and then moving up to 5 to take the other (especially since TEN is in a bad spot respective to their needs anyways) is probably more realistic.

8 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

I see where you're coming from.  But, in this Draft there's a clear difference between the safeties and Fournette, and Solomon Thomas.  Thomas while being solid, isn't a guarantee.  While Fournette is a guarantee at this point.    

He's not a guarantee by any means. His ankle is a concern as is his ability to play in a Mike Shula running scheme (unless he changes it significantly this year, which I hope for based on some Rivera comments) and his ability to contribute in the passing game both as a blocker and receiver.

I really like him and want him more than any prospect other than Garrett this year but Adams is more of a guarantee or sure thing. No DL is except for Garrett and Allen, but both Hooker and Adams are more of a guarantee than Fournette. Don't really want Hooker that much since we have Kurt at FS and that would force him to stay at SS where he wasn't as good but if Adams, Fournette, Thomas are gone, Hooker is worth the 8th pick and I'd be thrilled to get a possible Earl Thomas like impact from the position. 

But even though I don't consider Fournette to be a guarantee, he has the potential to be the best player in the draft for sure and the best RB since Peterson, or possibly even better overall if he can be a 3 down player. Worth the risk in my opinion, but still isn't a guarantee.

no player is a guarantee. That's dumb.

you draft players optimistically, from the 1st pick to the last. You concern yourself with what they can do, not usually with what they can't.

Then you seperate their best attributes into tiers, and usually those tiers are indicative of future success and how much success. There are exceptions to that reality in every tier every year, but you don't fiddle your fingers in fear that they might bust, nor do you obsess over taking players who are less likely to do so. You can't draft scared.

51 minutes ago, Growl said:

And taking Leonard Fournette after surrendering the #72 overall in exchange.

The mock itself isn't the point though. 

The point is the philosophy behind it, and even though it would pain me to give up #72 ( perhaps our comp 3rd and a later pick could be a better alternative) there are scenarios where it must be done I feel.

If the team truly feels-sincerely-that last season was an aberration and that they won't be picking this high again for a long time, they absolutely have to take advantage of it and come away with an elite prospect. It, in hindsight, may just look like a robbery. A great franchise picking up a blue chip player in the midst of a run. Equivocable to Atlanta going full Mike Ditka to pick up Julio Jones, with a terrible season taking the place of surrendering a draft fortune.

Speaking of a terrible season, that's the second point.

I'm not one for semantics like byron bell's left hand, but after last season completely deflated the fan base, sucked the joy out of the team, and made it's QB publicly question just how fun football is, one of the primary boxes that need to be checked this offseason is inserting some enthusiasm back into the organization. To put it simply, this team cannot have the kind of year they just had and only walk away with a bland red chip player to show for it. We cannot pick this high and only get one of the second tier players you loons are already hyping up. After all that, we need a  star. Somebody who will get people excited about seeing what the 2017 Panthers are capable of. To make them believe we can win it all. 2nd Team All PAC 10 high motor guy Jimmy Armscratch is not that guy.

It's the odd year. We will be fine this coming season.

1 minute ago, nctarheel0619 said:

He's a safety dude, a safety is NEVER a guarantee.  While RB's in the first round, with a first round grade, have better upside in the Top 10.  

Technically no college player is ever a guarantee to translate over into the highest level. And I don't look at position groups and generalize like that. Adams is about as sure a thing you can get in college as to whether he'll translate to the pro game. Same with Hooker. Regardless of position. 

Archived