• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FB Mike Tolbert: Has "Respect" For The Way He Was Released By The Panthers; No Hard Feelings

Saca312

Whenever you think about Gettleman's "big name" releases, you'd typically hear about Steve Smith's "blood and guts," DeAngelo William's "twitter fingers," or Josh Norman's "Dictatorship Up There" comments and conclude he's a "merciless, cold-hearted GM."

Tolbert paints a different story.

When asked about his thoughts on his release, he gave his response. At this time, you're probably expecting something along the rhetoric of where he felt he was "backstabbed" after Gettleman just gave him a decent contract last offseason, but it was nothing of the sort.

“Normally it’s one of the guys lower on the pole that come get the guys that get cut. But this time it was Coach Rivera who brought me upstairs, which I really appreciated,” Tolbert said during a phone interview. “Because that showed the type of respect that he has for me, the type of respect that Mr. Gettleman has for me. They didn’t send an intern to come get me. They sent the head guy in charge to come talk to me.”

"A lot of guys get phone call or text messages saying, ‘You’re going to get released.’ But for the head guy in the building to come grab me by the hand and walk we upstairs ... you can’t show anything but respect to that.”

Respect. 

It's an oddity in comparison to the other emotional leaders of the Carolina's past under Gettleman's tenure. No one's arguing Tolbert is another one of our solid emotional leaders either, albeit more on the 'fun' side. Here Tolbert is, mentioning his respect he has of the Panthers organization and how they treated his release.

In fact, Tolbert was just finishing up a workout today at the Bank of America stadium. It was just another normal day; Tolbert probably didn't see his release coming when he woke up that morning. I'm sure he was just thinking about next year and how he could try and get better. 

I can't imagine the icy feeling that slithered down his veins felt any good when he saw Rivera come in. He knew it was coming. But the awe and respect he felt radiating from the Panthers organization must've touched his heart, as he saw the love and respect in the gesture of sending down the top for a guy like himself.

“There’s no other person in the NFL that I have more respect for than Ron Rivera. So for him to be the man to come get me and for it to end this way in Carolina, I really appreciate that,”

No doubt this was tough for both sides.

Gettleman showed enough respect and love towards one of Carolina's respected athlete in the way he released him. Tolbert loves the Panthers "like family" and certainly isn't happy about being released, but Tolbert chose to instead respond with the respect that was shown to him.

That's class right there.

Sure, Gettleman's past cuts have replied with malice, hatred, and lashing out, yet Tolbert chose a rather different approach. The Tolldozer may have left in more ways than one, with Tolbert leaving not with destruction, but respect.

“I feel like I’m a high school kid going off to college,” he said. “I’ve got to leave my family, but I’m going on to bigger and better things.”

---Derived from http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article134118779.html

I'm sure they're learning, especially Gettleman. Ron coached Tolbert before they were in Carolina, so I wouldn't be surprised if Ron and Tolbert have a stronger bond than we know. It's actually pretty touching. Tolbert is a very good dude and will be very hard to replace in the locker room.

I remember keeping him around on my fantasy football team for years when he was a Charger because I knew he'd be good for a touchdown at least. Was so excited when we grabbed him. The way he rolled over dudes, especially Eric Reid in that 2013 49ers game, was top amongst Panthers.

I'd say the only mistake was Steve. DeAngelo wasn't a mistake or mishandling, he's just a douche.

18 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

I think it's a matter of Rivera and Gettleman learning from past mistakes. 

That's my thought too. Honestly RR and Dave where first timers in their roles for Carolina. Image all you want and be around football for many years, it's different when you're talking GM and headcoach.

I member Logan talking about being a head coach, he had a bit of wisdom. He said "you're either the first to know or last " about many happenings. Dave had to deal with cap hell(which lead to asking gross for a paycut), resign cam&luke, Greg hardy nightmare, hurney contract mess, Steve Smith, Williams mother's funeral fumble, mountain of injuries, etc. 

Archived