• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DE or TE in first

AU-panther

3 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

Not a damn soul was talking about Thomas two months ago, I'm convinced y'all just follow the media analysts. 

I was talking about Thomas at the beginning of draft season, long before he became regularly talked about in the top ten.  He's been my #2 DE since I started looking into this year's draft class. 

6 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Hey, I am all for taking a DE with one of our 2s. We will probably still get a kid that can earn playing time. Someone who will grow into a solid, or better, starter. And that is fine.

But man. There is some talented kids at the top of the heap this year. It would be great to get us one. It is the only position I would take over McCaffery. But hey, that's just me.

Settling for just a solid DE, when we are in need, is how the Cleveland Browns have operated for decades.

With the depth at running back and TE I could see us going DE with Thomas and I could see us going McCaffrey or Fournette as well given they are the number 1 and 2 running backs in the draft IMO. Given that the first 5 TEs in this draft are better than any of the TE in the past 3 drafts, I agree we need to pick one in the first 2 rounds. Once you get past Garrett and Thomas, many of the other DEs are not that unique so they represent talent drop off later in the draft.  I think our first 4 picks will be RB, DE, TE and safety. I think the particular order depends on who is the better value and who is available at our pick. I also think we trade up in the first 2 rounds. 

10 hours ago, csx said:

To me that's not the only reason for player selection.  A WR or running back won't necessarily see a ton of time either.

It's not the only reason, but this is pick 8. Kuechly was a pick 9. You don't draft a part time Shaq or Vern caliber guy at pick 8. Day one stud should be a priority.

11 hours ago, AU-panther said:

Seems like it is a pretty safe bet that we take both a DE and TE in this years draft.

Would you prefer Howard or Njoku at 8 and a DE later in the draft? If so, who and at what point do you see us drafting a DE?

or

Would you prefer Thomas or Barnett at 8 and a TE later?  Is so who and what round do you see us selecting the TE?

Im a fan of Howard and Njoku but when looking at the entire draft I feel a lot better about finding the TE later than a DE or even a WR or RB.

Thomas definitely over Barnett...TE either one is fine...

4 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Settling for just a solid DE, when we are in need, is how the Cleveland Browns have operated for decades.

I agree that settling is not a good thing. But, I am not sure how missing out on the only real DE in this class makes us the Browns?

I'm hoping we don't take a DE or TE at 8. There are no worthy DEs or TEs at 8. The best of the best:

1.) Myles Garrett

2.) Leonard Fournette

3.) Marshon Lattimore

Garrett will be gone for sure. You want Fournette or Lattimore to fall.

People are harping on DE, but other than Garrett, there is not a solid fit at the position of the round 1 prospects other than Barnett who may be judged not worth the 8th pick. A DE has to fit the scheme in order to be the BPA. As much as some of you want to force Thomas or Allen into our scheme, G-man may just decide that they aren't a good fit. I'm not saying he will decide that, but it is a reasonable possibility. Kpassagnon may be deemed the best fit out there, and he's not going to be our top pick. Plus, Thomas is going to be gone anyway, but keep your miniscule hope alive.

Archived