• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Funchess will be your future TD

Wait... So I see a lot of people bashing this idea.

Can someone explain to me why putting Funch at TE is a bad move? Surely he can pack on 10-15 lbs of bulk/muscle. He may sacrifice some of his speed, but he is 6'5 and you can't teach that. He played TE in college his entire career. We converted him to WR, where he has had very TE numbers. 9 TDs in his first 2 years is fantastic! For a tight end. His overall catches and yards screams TE stats.

He may never be a blocking TE, but why not a pass catching one? He can beat LBs and could theoretically be the guy who replaces Olsen as a red zone target and pass catching TE.

Add some weight to him, and you've got your guy no need to draft anyone.

Let's be real, he won't see the field as a WR now that we drafted 2 guys who are immediately better than him, and signed Shepard and Johnson who arguably could be better than him. So now he's essentially 6th on the WR depth chart.

But 3rd (maybe 2nd) on the TE depth chart!

I say we ask him to make the move. He has only 1 fewer TD than Olsen these past 2 years. I don't know for sure, but I would guess most of them were red zone targets, very Tight End sort of plays.

Let Kelvin be the #1 guy out there, hauling in 70 for 1,000 and 10 TDs per year.

Let Samuel be the slot weapon ala Cobb, and let Shepard stay on the field.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Normally I just ignore dumb threads, but this OP creates headlines that suggest he knows something then babbles about some dream he had after eating cabbage and sausage.  Can we limit the hypothetical opium-based hallucinations or if the urge to share them with other fans becomes irresistible. can we make a rule that says Stupid BS has to appear in the thread title in some form? 

Brandon Beane is a Mole, Funchess to TE----no facts whatsoever, just theater for morons.

Well I will take this opportunity to remind everybody something very important to posters who want to label Funchess a bust. 

Funchess is 22 years old. 

Zay Jones is 22 years old

Cooper Kupp is 23 years old

Corey Davis is 22. 

Dede Westbrook is 23 years old. 

My point is give this guy from time. Remember when it took WRs 3-4 years to figure it out. We are in a society of instant gratification that we have no patience. Did I expect more out of him? Yes absolutely especially after all the training camp reports. Do I feel he is hopeless and a bust? No! The offense was a mess last year and probably only Greg Olsen had a good year. Give this dude time. He's younger than many draft picks this year!!

27 minutes ago, Chardee MacDennis said:

Wait... So I see a lot of people bashing this idea.

Can someone explain to me why putting Funch at TE is a bad move? Surely he can pack on 10-15 lbs of bulk/muscle. He may sacrifice some of his speed, but he is 6'5 and you can't teach that. He played TE in college his entire career. We converted him to WR, where he has had very TE numbers. 9 TDs in his first 2 years is fantastic! For a tight end. His overall catches and yards screams TE stats.

He may never be a blocking TE, but why not a pass catching one? He can beat LBs and could theoretically be the guy who replaces Olsen as a red zone target and pass catching TE.

Add some weight to him, and you've got your guy no need to draft anyone.

Let's be real, he won't see the field as a WR now that we drafted 2 guys who are immediately better than him, and signed Shepard and Johnson who arguably could be better than him. So now he's essentially 6th on the WR depth chart.

But 3rd (maybe 2nd) on the TE depth chart!

I say we ask him to make the move. He has only 1 fewer TD than Olsen these past 2 years. I don't know for sure, but I would guess most of them were red zone targets, very Tight End sort of plays.

Let Kelvin be the #1 guy out there, hauling in 70 for 1,000 and 10 TDs per year.

Let Samuel be the slot weapon ala Cobb, and let Shepard stay on the field. 

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Your whole rationale was arguably half compelling until you said "Let's be real...," then it broke down.

First, we only drafted one receiver. Just one! Secondly, Shepard is a ST guy, regardless if you or anyone wants to bathe yourself in the hype. He is a true ST ace. Receiver? JAG! Third, Charles Johnson made a little noise---had the perfect opportunity to rise into the role of a key player in the Vikings offense, then fell off a cliff. Talking about a huge "psyche" and disappointment. He doesn't even run as good of routes as Funchess. Third, Funchess will finally get the opportunity to be a feature guy this season. Last season was not a good one for him, but it wasn't particularly good for anyone on offense except for maybe steady Greg. The whole offense, starting with Cam, seemed disjointed and disinterested, except for Olsen and arguably Funchess. I never got the feeling that he was just going through the motions. Was he still showing some rawness? Probably. But he was also still playing behind Ginn and Philly Brown.

The kid, though still young, has matured a little bit, and has a couple of seasons under his belt. The expectations going into this season tell a different story from what you're trying to say. Regardless of what people with limited insight want to push regarding Funchess, he has shown some ability as a receiver, so he'll get his first real opportunity to grow this coming season. If he shows marked development and improvement, great! If he still kind of flounders around, then it's time to reassess his position with the team---maybe as a TE, but also period.

Now that's being real.

Archived