• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Rivera be the next Lame Duck Coach???

Hotsauce

We know JR doesn’t pay coaches not to coach. Next season is Rivera’s last season under the $19.5 million contract extension he signed through 2018. 

This means technically he would be due for an extension this offseason. It also means that if he isn’t given an extension, he will be heading into next season as a lame duck coach.

John Fox (73-71, 5-3 playoffs, 9 years) and Ron Rivera (61-46, 3-3 playoffs, 7 years) have had a similar type of head coaching career at the Panthers. There are tons of similarities between the two, but in terms of a record, here are a couple facts:

-Neither coach has been able to string together back to back winning seasons. 

-Both coaches won their division 3x  

-In their first 6 years, both made the playoffs 3 times. 

-Both coaches made the Super Bowl. 

What’s interesting to see is the last two years before John Foxes last, lame duck season he went 12-4 (2008), then went 8-8 (2009). While 8-8 is not technically a losing record, it was reason enough for JR and Marty to decide not to extend him. Also something worth note is that his record going into his final lame duck season, he was 71-57, which isn’t a terrible record. 

The personal each coach is also worth mentioning. While they both coaches were able to put together some stellar defenses. However both have been stubborn when it comes to putting together great, consistent offenses. I would argue that Ron has been given a better offensive roster specifically because he has had Cam Newton (Fox did have 89 in his prime though).

TLDR: So in my opinion the month of December will literally make or break Ron’s career as the head coach of the Panthers. Last season we were 6-10, if we were to finish this year say 8-8 or 9-7, and miss the playoffs, I’m not sure that would be enough for him to get an extension. Anyone with PTSD flashbacks of 2010 can remind you of what a lame duck season feels like. It wasn’t fun...

A3931798-F3C2-4672-9CBC-34B93AB25F3B.jpeg

FD1C7725-6F24-46C6-B53F-23F27D059963.jpeg

719B07BE-921D-4B29-892A-DF484CF480EC.jpeg

CE4BD2FE-D3DD-47B5-9A5E-69064B037CF9.jpeg

Also I just realized that John Fox, in his first 7 seasons (same to Rivera at this point) has had 3x good, winning seasons, 3x losing seasons, and 1x 8-8 neutral season. 

Technically Ron has had only 2x winning seasons and 4x losing seasons with this last season still up in the air...

1 minute ago, mc52beast said:

If this team somehow finds a way to not make the playoffs this year I think Ron is on the “hot seat”. But as we have seen in the past when his job is in jeopardy he turns into Riverboat, and that could once again extend his stay in Charlotte.

What happed in Cams third year (Rivera’s hot seat season) Cams completion % went up, interceptions went down, his TD # went up, etc..Cam got better and bailed him out. Plus you had Year #2 of Luke Kuechly, and a much better defense 

20 minutes ago, DelhommesTheMan said:

Short of winning a Super Bowl this should be Rivera’s final season.  He’s just not what we need going forward.  I would love to see what Josh McDaniels could do with Cam.  

I like that idea as well do we retain Wilks is he the new hc and Josh oc in your scenario or vice versa??

21 minutes ago, DelhommesTheMan said:

Short of winning a Super Bowl this should be Rivera’s final season.  He’s just not what we need going forward.  I would love to see what Josh McDaniels could do with Cam.  

Like Mcadoo with out Rodgers or Gase without Manning, I wonder what Daniels would be without TB12.

No interest in another josh Daniels show 

go get frank Reich as head coach

surround him with a decent GM and go hire the best 4 3 dc our there  make him assistant head coach and pay him

thats part of the problem  cheap ass coaches  unproven  Shula and the rest 

So over it 

stop getting your coaches from the land of misfit toys

1 hour ago, chknwing said:

If JR wants Rivera gone, he will be gone.  JR isn't getting any younger and neither are his star players.  He wants a Super Bowl now.  IF cutting Rivera lose early is what needs to happen, then he will do it.

If JR wanted to win he wouldn't have hired Marty Hurney back. Keep dreaming that Rivera gets fired. Not going to happen. 

1 hour ago, chknwing said:

If JR wants Rivera gone, he will be gone.  JR isn't getting any younger and neither are his star players.  He wants a Super Bowl now.  IF cutting Rivera lose early is what needs to happen, then he will do it.

You say that, but honestly I don't think JR wants a Super Bowl more then making/saving money...making money to him comes first, SB second. 

You guys are on drugs. Jerry isn’t firing Ron at 8-4. For Ron to get fired we would have to tank and then go 6-10 next season. 

Yuck. Then we got to rebuild. Yuck

then what if all they hype around the new group goes bust,... man we might suck for a generation.

how about not.

Archived