• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Kalil $9.9 mil cap hit

CatMan72

39 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

49ypg with Kalil, 46ypg without Kalil

Literally every offensive stat I've looked at, it's pretty much a wash between with Kalil and without Kalil. Now obviously that doesn't tell the complete story, but when you're trying to justify a nearly $10M cap hit you'd hope to be able to see that you're clearly a better team with that player and I can't make that argument statistically.

DId you look at pass protection? I'd be curious to see that too but like you said it's more than just that as he makes the calls and such and is well known as a smart player that helps make those around him better.

But considering he's missed 8 or more games in 3 of the last 6 seasons it starts to look a lot more grim than I originally thought/was remembering.
5aa6d2a9f2768_ScreenShot2018-03-12at3_18_32PM.thumb.png.b70d6f4bc263ed37d3afa9ff8b5ca2f3.png

That's no goo ;\
It's definitely been time to draft his replacement and possible is time for me to get on board with the cap savings and upgrade other positions as we could end up paying 10 mil to a player who won't see the field most of the time anyway.....damn the old guard is...well...old and getting broken down I guess.

42 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

49ypg with Kalil, 46ypg without Kalil

Literally every offensive stat I've looked at, it's pretty much a wash between with Kalil and without Kalil. Now obviously that doesn't tell the complete story, but when you're trying to justify a nearly $10M cap hit you'd hope to be able to see that you're clearly a better team with that player and I can't make that argument statistically.

Agree.

I was also asking that about Norwell earlier.  How can we have the best interior offensive line in football (when healthy like every team) and average less than 50 yards rushing per game?

My eyes tell me he, Trai, and Kalil are great, but the numbers sure don't reflect it.

This team has been TERRIBLE at run blocking for years, it's Cam's running that inflates the stats.   Kalil was once a beast but hasn't been in years now.    I didn't notice any drop off when Larson was in.     If cutting Kalil lets you get a guy like Allen Robinson or a different maker at thin positions, then you do it, you do it yesterday.    I mean does ANYONE have confidence he'll play more than 8 games this year?   I don't.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

We don't need to restructure, we need to either negotiate a pay cut, or release.

That said, Ryan is AWFULLY important to Cam and our running game...not to mention we are likely losing Norwell, and we will have a fresh face in there at LG.

What about next year? Same story. Kalil is not going to play forever, at some point it must be done. That time is now, when it makes the most sense.

The problem with any argument against releasing Kalil is the inability to realize keeping him for one more year does nothing for the future of this team. Having 10 million in cap does. Khalil is DONE. He is milking his cap at this point, and the cherry on top is the fact the team has played fine without him in the many games he has missed. The drop off is NOT equal to his cap hit. The two main points designate keeping Kalil and an emotional move not a logical or business one.

Maybe Cam likes Kalil and that factors in, but does so in an emotional fashion. Keep Kalil for these emotional reasons, fine, but no sense in trying to argue this makes any logical sense for the team. Hurney is rewarding a long term player of the team by letting his cap and play value hinder the team. That is exactly what is happening.

9 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

DId you look at pass protection? I'd be curious to see that too but like you said it's more than just that as he makes the calls and such and is well known as a smart player that helps make those around him better.

But considering he's missed 8 or more games in 3 of the last 6 seasons it starts to look a lot more grim than I originally thought/was remembering.
5aa6d2a9f2768_ScreenShot2018-03-12at3_18_32PM.thumb.png.b70d6f4bc263ed37d3afa9ff8b5ca2f3.png

That's no goo ;\
It's definitely been time to draft his replacement and possible is time for me to get on board with the cap savings and upgrade other positions as we could end up paying 10 mil to a player who won't see the field most of the time anyway.....damn the old guard is...well...old and getting broken down I guess.

Yep.

2.3 sacks per game without Kalil. 2 sacks per game with Kalil.

It's also worth noting that the 10 of the 23 sacks with Larsen came in his first two games as the starter. In his next 8 starts the OL was allowing 1.6 sacks per game.

6 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Agree.

I was also asking that about Norwell earlier.  How can we have the best interior offensive line in football (when healthy like every team) and average less than 50 yards rushing per game?

My eyes tell me he, Trai, and Kalil are great, but the numbers sure don't reflect it.

Honestly, I think Shula was just that bad. Once the NFL figured him out post-2015 he had no counters.

2 hours ago, Growl said:

Its a deep draft for C/G. There is perhaps the notion that you see how you come away there on draft weekend and if you feel confident with what you obtain then you June 1 him. If not, then at least you've got the position locked down for another year.

A lot of times teams will wait until the draft to decide but Kalil has a roster bonus due in a few days. 

Cutting him later would save less money then doing it now.

He literally makes the offense a top potential 10 offense and without him the OL and Cam are lost and you clowns want to cut him. If he stays healthy he’s easily one of the 5 most valuable OL in the league. He’d be signed by the Pats the next day and they’d cut their center.

1 hour ago, Lumps said:

What about next year? Same story. Kalil is not going to play forever, at some point it must be done. That time is now, when it makes the most sense.

The problem with any argument against releasing Kalil is the inability to realize keeping him for one more year does nothing for the future of this team. Having 10 million in cap does. Khalil is DONE. He is milking his cap at this point, and the cherry on top is the fact the team has played fine without him in the many games he has missed. The drop off is NOT equal to his cap hit. The two main points designate keeping Kalil and an emotional move not a logical or business one.

Maybe Cam likes Kalil and that factors in, but does so in an emotional fashion. Keep Kalil for these emotional reasons, fine, but no sense in trying to argue this makes any logical sense for the team. Hurney is rewarding a long term player of the team by letting his cap and play value hinder the team. That is exactly what is happening.

I'm not arguing to keep Kalil, just saying that he is important to our team...not sure he's 10M important....that depends on how/where you spend it.

Were I running the team, I'm probably leaning toward an outright cut, but I would at least try for a true pay cut first.

6 minutes ago, unicar15 said:

He literally makes the offense a top potential 10 offense and without him the OL and Cam are lost and you clowns want to cut him. If he stays healthy he’s easily one of the 5 most valuable OL in the league. He’d be signed by the Pats the next day and they’d cut their center.

Go and look at the stats from last year and try to make an argument that we were significantly better with Kalil. I tried and couldn't.

3 hours ago, thefuzz said:

We don't need to restructure, we need to either negotiate a pay cut, or release.

That said, Ryan is AWFULLY important to Cam and our running game...not to mention we are likely losing Norwell, and we will have a fresh face in there at LG.

Totally agree

tired of being the assisted living home for over the hill over paid athletes 

there are two other centers on the roster and the draft.

Odds of Kalil finishing a season are not in his favor. 9 million is far too much for a center and certainly one on his situation 

...but those ‘feels’ and all

Archived