• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Kalil $9.9 mil cap hit

CatMan72

Read this morning that Ryan has played only 14 games in the past 2 season and counts for $9.9 mil against our cap this year. It concerns me we haven't released him or forced him to restructure that contract heading into FA. I know he still has value and he said this was his last year, but this is exactly the kind of business decision Hurney must learn to make. I was encouraged by the release of Stewart, but this is discouraging. I would tell Ryan we love you, but we need to restructure this contract or your farewell tour will be in the uniform of some other team (similar to the way Gettleman handled Gross and Smitty, with a little more tact). 

1 minute ago, CatMan72 said:

Read this morning that Ryan has played only 14 games in the past 2 season and counts for $9.9 mil against our cap this year. It concerns me we haven't released him or forced him to restructure that contract heading into FA. I know he still has value and he said this was his last year, but this is exactly the kind of business decision Hurney must learn to make. I was encouraged by the release of Stewart, but this is discouraging. I would tell Ryan we love you, but we need to restructure this contract or your farewell tour will be in the uniform of some other team (similar to the way Gettleman handled Gross and Smitty, with a little more tact). 

We don't need to restructure, we need to either negotiate a pay cut, or release.

That said, Ryan is AWFULLY important to Cam and our running game...not to mention we are likely losing Norwell, and we will have a fresh face in there at LG.

Yeah, it's pretty much impossible at this point to restructure him without extending him. And you certainly can't extend a guy who's retiring next year.

Definitely hoping he plays more this year than he has previous years. Otherwise that contract is going to be a disaster.

Its a deep draft for C/G. There is perhaps the notion that you see how you come away there on draft weekend and if you feel confident with what you obtain then you June 1 him. If not, then at least you've got the position locked down for another year.

8 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

We need Kalil. That’s the problem. We’re about to lose Norwell. It’s worth keeping the line consistent to have Kalil on the roster. There’s a big drop off between him and Larsen.

Can't be consistent when you aren't on the field honestly. 

Archived