• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I hate this stat(lowest in league in deep pass attempts)

panther4life

49 minutes ago, PhillyB said:

It's a quandary though because he's also having his most efficient year, throwing for touchdowns, and making big plays even if it doesn't look as cool.

Plus we have some serious YAC guys on the team - CMC and Moore alone have taken away a lot of potential deep shots by chewing up yards between the twenties.

I'm not too worried

Just have to watch it going forward as good defenses(and the NFL in general) knows this too. Teams have shown they can take CMC out of the game if they want but if your other people are doing the same as CMC(short routes) they will take that away too. I'm not worried either about some fuging Giants defense or the other worse defenses in the league we face.

We have to be able to threaten good defenses, we could also be setting it up. Like Norv did good vs the Bengals making them think we were going to pass to CMC but ran him instead. Norv is actually good enough to do this type of thing...we also had deep shots Sunday that were just missed.

2 hours ago, Carolina Cajun said:

Anyone wondering why our O-line has been looking good?  Remember when we had actual linemen who werent bagging groceries last year and ALL of our routes were 40 yards down the field and our line couldn't hold up long enough to let cam get rid of the ball?  I too want us to run more deep stuff, but in context you've got to understand that the reason I think Turner is keeping it short is due to lack of belief in his O-line.  I think as he gains trust in them, you'll see deeper passes.

LOGIC ALERT

I don't think it is something to panic about being 3-1, but it is something we need to address if we want to truly be a SB contender.  You need to be able to hit several explosive plays per game, especially in the current NFL.

And to be fair, the Panthers have had explosive plays in terms of yardage obtained through big runs, screens, and short passes with YAC, but it is alarming to see that we haven't really been able to do it downfield through the air.

Every year we have been successful in the playoffs, we have been able to rack up explosive plays through the air.  On passes thrown 20+ yards in the air.

Appreciate the OP posting and this is to me the most concerning thing about what has been, given all our injuries on the Oline, a pretty good offense.

It also is Exhibit A in the damning case against Torrey Smith taking away anymore snaps from Moore & Samuel (hell even Byrd for that matter)

We have been one of the worst teams in the league when it comes to deep throws since Ginn left. It isn't a coincidence. The only guys who can stretch the field sit on the bench and when they do get snaps the D knows exactly what to look for. Ginn was essentially our #1 receiver and was practically always on the field. He could hit you with a quick slant and on the next play burn you for 50+ yards. It kept opposing defenses honest.

Until Moore and Samuel are on the field for more than 75% of the offensive snaps, preferably together, we will continue to see more of the same. It may piss me off, but if we continue to win I can accept it.

It's probably the biggest single thing I had hoped would carry over from Chud's offense with Cam.  We were great at it.  At this point, idk if it's due to scheme/play calls or because the personnel to this point can't get separation, but I'm leaning more towards the personnel...  Samuel was injured and DJ hasn't gotten much playing time.  I feel Funchess and Smith are the biggest reasons for this stat.  They just don't get separation and i think Norv has emphasized checking it down as a result.

Moore has been learning the playbook and developing rapport with Cam. Couple that with Samuels' injuries and the on-the-job time he has lost, and we may be seeing them on the bench so far because of learning curves. Both came out and showed some stuff this past weekend, while Smith faded (as did Wright, to be honest). 

My bet is we will see more and more of both young players as the weeks go on. Both have already made a highlight reel-worthy TD this season and something tells me there are more to come in the near future. The continued gel-ing on the O-line will also make those long passes a more comfortable option.

And let's not forget that we have a RB that can (and should) do the Go route on a regular basis, too.

Edit to add: Funchess did exactly what he needed to this past week. He is that big receiver presence we need and he is an excellent intermediate target. The guy can also take and layout a hit when he needs to. I think he is developing in a similar manner (and timeframe) as did Moose back in the day. And that ain't a bad thing at all.

Archived