• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Offensive Line or Defensive Line, the Next Step **

SetfreexX

The left side of our OL from center over was not good at all last year and needs completely reworked.  Van Roten and Larsen are nothing more than backups.  Willams can't pass protect without Manhertz attached at the hip.  I can bite the bullet and live with another year of Kalil at LT if there is a strong investment at C and LG to keep the interior of the pocket clean.

DL help is a serious need too but a secondary one.  Take a chance on a player like Robert Quinn when he gets cut and manufacture pressure this season if you need to.

6 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The left side of our OL from center over was not good at all last year and needs completely reworked.  Van Roten and Larsen are nothing more than backups.  Willams can't pass protect without Manhertz attached at the hip.  I can bite the bullet and live with another year of Kalil at LT if there is a strong investment at C and LG to keep the interior of the pocket clean.

DL help is a serious need too but a secondary one.  Take a chance on a player like Robert Quinn when he gets cut and manufacture pressure this season if you need to.

You are saying Williams can't block but want Kalil back? Uh....wut?

Problem with Williams is if he checks off all boxes he’s getting top 5-10 RT pay which is probably around 8-10 mil. Do we want to pay him that much after coming off an injury. Would be great if he would sign a “prove it” deal but that won’t happen. Some team will offer him a sweet deal and he’ll bolt.

Drafting the center out of NCST would be awesome. Instant plug in with a mean streak.

Getting a pass rusher is top priority I think, maybe double dip d and o line

The first 4 picks really need to be Oline and DLine— the order mostly dictated by what is there BPA. I don’t care if it’s all of one then the other or a mix.

whatever we can’t draft this year we draft next year. 

Our Oline really does need to turn the corner and be a top 5 for once.

I'm all for DE in the first, but Left Tackle needs to be solved this year.  If Moton can't do it, we need to spend our first or second on LT.

What scares me to death is no only the high number of busts at OT, but of all the tackles I'm reading about in the draft, almost all of them are said to "project to right tackle or guard" in the NFL.  If we think we can get a LT in the first, and believe he's the guy, I think we have to do it, even over DE.

And whether we get our edge rusher in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd, I still think we need to spend big bucks in free agency.  It takes DE's a couple of years before they really produce, so we need to get one working now.

For me, ideally, we get LT in the first, let Daryl walk, keep Moton at RT, draft DE in the second and sign the best vet we can get.  Pay the man.  We can use the money we were going to use on Daryl.

Then we have 2 3rds to improve the interior OL.

54 minutes ago, Lumps said:

For those saying Larsen is no good at C can you guys back this up?

All stats I seem to find including watching the games during his 2017 season where he replaced Ryan for 14 games suggest there was zero drop off in play at Center.

That's probably the disconnect. Ryan hasn't been good for a couple seasons now. 

I think we will either sign or tag Williams if he is 100% depending on how much confidence we have in his health.

I think we go with DL or linebacker/DE in the draft. We are likely going to a 3-4 look on obvious passing downs using scheme to get pressure instead of just 4 guys beating their man. 

Kalil when healthy was above avg, he just played hurt, or was hurt the last several years. We rarely saw GVR called out in a negative light while watching games, its why I believe G, C, G, of GVR, Larsen, and Turner supplanted by a C/G 2nd or third round selection will allow us to be in a good place on the OL. Tackles are at a premium, but not RT's by comparison to left tackles. 

Still expensive, I mean most of us should recall what Remmers made going to MIN a couple seasons ago. However I think with money from retirements falling off the book, and other cap relief it makes all the sense in the world to pay Daryl Williams. Other than Turner no one on the OL is making top dollar. SO we should have money available, just look at what Kalil was costing us...

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/ryan-kalil-1229/

No reason we shouldn't use that on Williams a team developed talent, it's much easier to draft interior OL vs finding NFL quality tackles. If Getts did ONE thing well it was bringing in OL talent. (Williams, Moton, & Norwell) I'd hate to see us not keep two well performing OT's on the roster when we should have the cap to make it work. 

We need money on some key FA's to fill gaps like - S, LB, WR depth. However we don't need starters in those positions. I could see a ''splash'' signing (loosely interpreted) on an aging pass rusher to bridge the development gap of an early pick. I just think it makes too much sense not to keep Williams. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see a 2-3 year deal from any source that pays a lot up front but is short enough in the event his knee remains an issue not to get from under with less cap issues. Thus allowing him to cash in once more by age 29/30. 

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

What if the team feels better about letting Williams walk and using that money to sign a FA DE, and drafting a RT in the first instead of  signing a FA RT(Williams) and drafting a DE.  

I am not sure I could agree with this course of action. I think it largely depends on what Williams ends up getting.

22 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

What if the team feels better about letting Williams walk and using that money to sign a FA DE, and drafting a RT in the first instead of  signing a FA RT(Williams) and drafting a DE.  

Honestly, I’m offering the money to Trent Brown before DW. Would solve many issues. Unless the team is convinced Moton can play LT, I’m not sure if you even offer DW 10/yr. 

DE class will be pared down after tags. Tough call on what would be left. A player that might fit both 4-3 and 3-4 and not cost much is Preston Smith. Everyone is going to overpay for whatever is available. 

Archived