• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Someone please calm my expectations

KillaCamNewton

Im 25 years old. My dad took me to games during the inaugural season at Clemson and the family has had PSLs since the first season at Ericsson Stadium. The only game ive missed either on tv or in person in probably the last 10 years was a Thursday night game in 2012 against the Giants because i took my girlfriend to a Jason Aldean concert. My expectations have never been higher going into a season. For years we have surrounded Cam with CFL level at skill positions and refused to put a formidable offensive line in front of him. Looking at it now, we have an all pro level running back that can carry an offense himself, 2 young game breaker receivers, two solid possession receivers, a hall of famer at tight end, and ON PAPER the best OLine since at least 2013. Not only that but one of the best offensive minds ever calling the plays. On defense we added one of the best lineman of the decade to pair with another pro bowler, still have the best linebacker of the generation, added a stud pass rusher, and look to have 2 solid young corners to round out the secondary. We also got Rivera (who despite his short comings as a head coach is one of the best defensive minds ever) running the defense. 

I know the health of Cam and Olsen are two huge wildcards, but am I wrong to think this should be the best team, top to bottom, that weve ever fielded?

I'm over 3 times your age, and I feel the same way.

No need to calm down.  Just enjoy the ride.

IMO, every assessment you made was accurate.  The only caution to over-optimism is potential injury -- but that can happen to any team, or player.

Ummm one point... is Olsen really getting into the hall? Also to calm your nerves side.. this whole season rides on Cam. every inch of it. If he is half as good as hes been should be a play off caliber team. Cam has the most talented team hes had since hes been here. But it means poo if he cant throw the ball 3- yards with consistent zip.

I really need to see this line protect Cam.  Its gonna take some time to get him to trust it again.  He's been getting wrecked in the pocket.  Its to the point he's safer gettin outside and running.

My suggestions (close cousin to the anus rectumus):

Run hard.  Get this line exploding off the snap and crushing DLs and LBs. 

Aggressive one cut down hill runs following lead blocks by Armah/Olsen/Thomas

Set up RPO with CMC/Samuel/DJ  or PA with CMC/Olsen/DJ/Samuel/Hogan

Let Cam build his Mojo behind this solid front and he will cock smack the league. 

24 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

You can have the best team in the league and still lose the big game. See 2015, the year that broke me. 

After that, I can't really get too excited anymore. Now I just take it for what it is and don't get my hopes up. 

that game ruined me too

Oh heck, enjoy the feeling! There is plenty, plenty, plenty of reason to be optimistic right now. We have a great team on paper and a great team based on previous work and potential. Enjoy it.

Come September, no one in the league will have paid us a moment's notice. We'll be middle to low end of the pack in everyone's ratings.

And that's just fine. We do our best work then.

Be optimistic and hopeful until someone can prove you wrong.

well, the Panthers follow a pretty consistent pattern. 

High expectations = disappointing season

Low expectations = surprisingly good season

Can't recall a season where that pattern wasn't reasonably true

Archived