• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How a Notebook Has Helped Cam Newton Overhaul His Learning Strategy

GRWatcher

Great read about Scott's and Cam's relationship, how Cam learns and the mental part of football.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/09/05/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-scott-turner?

If you wonder why Newton played so well at the start of last season, the metaphorical answer is in there too, as is the reason why he’s so confident now on what 2019 holds.

“I’m playing my best football of my career, because I know what I’m doing,” he says. “I’m not guessing. Coach [Ron Rivera] has created an environment where you’ve got a bunch of selfless, talented guys, and that’s key to winning. No matter how good you are, everybody’s working towards the greater good of the team. And for me, being the quarterback, obviously a lot more responsibility is thrust on what I’m supposed to be doing.

“But it’s not pressure, because I know what I’m supposed to be doing.”

“I can’t learn when everybody learns, my attention isn’t as pristine as other people’s, I know that, I’ve accepted that,” Newton says. “Me, being the way I am, when I’m ready to learn something, it might be at 8 p.m.

“There’s no greater feeling than knowing you’ve got somebody that is coaching you that has your best interest in mind,” Newton says. “That’s important. I’ve been lucky to have guys that have coached me where I can sense that, and I know that. I’ve never not known. And Scott is just still one of those people, I know I can go to him for brutally honest advice, and that’s the key.”

Turns out Cam is a visual learner as am I. I know how hard us visual learners work to retain the knowledge we need, to get to the point where that knowledge is on instant recall as it seems for everybody else. Good on Scott Turner for recognizing that and turning it to an advantage for Cam. I'm feeling very confident about our QB this Sunday. Can't wait!

3 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Has anyone ever not been a visual learner?? Blind people I guess? I love when people have to state that. Like they are different than 90% of everyone else. I guess us normies just prefer tactile learning or osmosis maybe? Personally I learn the best by absorbing the information through my skin.

You know what the fug they are saying. Quit being obtuse. 

53 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

Has anyone ever not been a visual learner?? Blind people I guess? I love when people have to state that. Like they are different than 90% of everyone else. I guess us normies just prefer tactile learning or osmosis maybe? Personally I learn the best by absorbing the information through my skin.

That's the Rogaine talking.

23 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

I'm a kinetic learner with brutal ADHD

Visual is second best, but I struggled in school due to never being mentally present while in class and having to learn entirely through the other methods (visual, audio, and reading).

I learn best from being able to use my hands and explore. If you give me a rock and tell me to look at it, I'm going to likely drift off into my own head. If you tell me to pick it up and tell you about it, that's a whole other story.

So yea, we do exist, and yes, knowledge osmosis is superior kthx

On 9/7/2019 at 9:53 AM, imminent rogaine said:

You learn through all senses.  I think he means as opposed to auditory.  A cook may learn through taste and smell or even texture.  Your attempt at sarcasm, hiowever, suggests that your brand of learning may not be as effective as you assume it is.:thinking:

Archived