• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A few simple truths! Hooray!

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Cam is injury prone now and will never play more than 8 games in a season ever again. TRADE HIM WHILE HE STILL HAS VALUE FFS!!!!!!!!!!! MULT TEAMS WOULD TRADE MULTIPLE FIRST ROUNDERS AS OF RN - ONE MORE INJURY AND YOU'D BE LUCKY TO GET A COMP PICK FOR CAM!!!!!!!!!

when reality sinks in my major concern is that Cam will never be 100% again & is just going to make a bad situation more than likely worse for himself & the team in more ways than 1

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The whole thing of the debate for me honestly is that it's based in a lot of things that we not only don't know, but can't.

Is Cam Newton going to be fully healthy again? We don't know.

If he is healthy, will Cam Newton get back to his early 2018 form? We don't know.

How good can Kyle Allen potentially be? We don't know.

Hell, we can't even get people to agree on how good he is now. And either way, definitive statements  about how you absolutely know this or that after five games are silly.

Bottom Line: A whole lot of the debate becomes contentious because people are insisting they know things that can't possibly be known.

Agreed.  To me, the biggest unknown is what "healthy" will mean for Cam at this point in his career.  If healthy means 2015, oh baby.  If healthy means the first few games of 2018, still pretty good, and you'd have to lean his way simply for his experience.  But as you said, we simply can't and don't know at this point.

However, I am incredibly thankful that we can even HAVE a conversation where we can make reasonable arguments for two different QB's on our roster.  It means our roster is strong.  Good time to be a Panthers fan.

2 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Agreed.  To me, the biggest unknown is what "healthy" will mean for Cam at this point in his career.  If healthy means 2015, oh baby.  If healthy means the first few games of 2018, still pretty good, and you'd have to lean his way simply for his experience.  But as you said, we simply can't and don't know at this point.

However, I am incredibly thankful that we can even HAVE a conversation where we can make reasonable arguments for two different QB's on our roster.  It means our roster is strong.  Good time to be a Panthers fan.

And apparently a lot of unreasonable ones too...

All I can add is for people who insist this is an either/or thing right now, take a deep breath and pretend for a moment you are a Washington Redskin fan.....or Miami Dolphin fan......or Denver Broncos fan.  Any of those teams might kill right now for Grier, let alone having a debate about whether an established QB who is on the mend or a #2, who is looking at a 4-0 record this year as a starter, should start going forward.

21 minutes ago, mav1234 said:

I don't think this controversy exists among the players at all.

They seem to have found a way to cheer for both guys.

Novel idea, right?

What I think they also understand is that what's going to happen is going to happen regardless of what any of us think about it.

Maybe Cam Newton will be healthy and dominant again. Maybe Kyle Allen will prove that he's the future. Maybe unforeseen circumstances will occur and Will Grier will end up being the guy instead. Who knows?

The only thing I really know for sure is that I'll keep cheering for this team regardless of what happens.

I care about us winning games. Who's on the field when we do that doesn't really matter.

1 hour ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

Cam is injury prone now and will never play more than 8 games in a season ever again. TRADE HIM WHILE HE STILL HAS VALUE FFS!!!!!!!!!!! MULT TEAMS WOULD TRADE MULTIPLE FIRST ROUNDERS AS OF RN - ONE MORE INJURY AND YOU'D BE LUCKY TO GET A COMP PICK FOR CAM!!!!!!!!!

Where are you reading we would get multiple first rounders? 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Bottom Line: A whole lot of the debate becomes contentious because people are insisting they know things that can't possibly be known.

This.  The word Igo should have used is "subjective" not simple.  They are all literally just his opinions.  That's not truth.  That's a guy trying to be cool and funny but not actually saying anything.

As you said, Cam may never be fully healthy again, so we have no idea what he will play like when he is "healthy".  Kyle Allen has been a capable backup but my god he didnt even look as good as Gardner Minshew when we played him.  I dont think kyle Allen has shown the ability to take a team, put them on his shoulders and carry them to victory.  So no, he has not shown that he is a franchise QB yet but he is still very young.

I think we are in a great situation where Cam can come back and if he struggles we have Kyle to fall back on.  How hard is that?  Just say that an enjoy how well the team is playing.

Look around then league at teams like the rams, cowboys and lions...we should just enjoy the fact that we are winning football games...THAT is a simple truth.

5 minutes ago, MVPccaffrey said:

Absent is the definition as to what a "healthy" Cam, whose body has been ravaged by injury, even looks like or what it is capable of now.  Which is actually the most important variable in all this, and the one that no one addresses when pointed to.

apple & oranges...MVP Cams 2015 season compared to Kyle Allen's current success while  avoiding the elephant in the room.

simply put we have a failure to communicate around here.

5 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Will can be better than both. Don't sleep on will.  Yes it's sarcasm.

the last thing Rivera needs in the QB stable is a Mexican stand off

You guys need to be prepared for the bad game Cam is going to have when he comes back. He’s going to be pretty rusty.

For the first time I actually agree with Mr. Scot.

When a decision is made on who the starter is you can’t flip flop. If it’s Cam then you need to let him play through any early struggles. If it’s Allen you can’t pull him at the first sign of struggle either. 

That’s why ultimately it has to be Cam. It’s smarter to play Cam now and see where he is and let him workout himself back into the flow. You can’t try to insert him in too late into the season. If Cam struggles for two straight weeks and show signs of still being injured  then you just go back to KA7 to close out the season and deal with Cam in the offseason. 

48 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The whole thing of the debate for me honestly is that it's based in a lot of things that we not only don't know, but can't.

Is Cam Newton going to be fully healthy again? We don't know.

If he is healthy, will Cam Newton get back to his early 2018 form? We don't know.

How good can Kyle Allen potentially be? We don't know.

Hell, we can't even get people to agree on how good he is now. And either way, definitive statements  about how you absolutely know this or that after five games are silly.

I feel like these are obvious questions that if your running a team you cant afford to NOT know. You can't say we don't know which one your going to get or how good he can be because you HAVE to find out. If you believe Allen can be MVP caliber then by all means roll with him. But, If you think he has limitations and his ceiling isn't as high as Cam's then you find out if Newton can return to form.

Botton line very few guys have the ability to reach MVP heights and if you have one I find it insane to just count on him not being able to play that well again. You have to give him a chance period.. you have to find out. You cant let him just walk because oh Allen is fine. We are winning so who need possibly better guy.. 

Not knowing Is problem people have in all walks of life and most employers aren't interested in that. They want answers and to get those you have to find out what Newton  has left..

Just now, AceBoogie said:

You guys need to be prepared for the bad game Cam is going to have when he comes back. He’s going to be pretty rusty.

For the first time I actually agree with Mr. Scot.

When a decision is made on who the starter is you can’t flip flop. If it’s Cam then you need to let him play through any early struggles. If it’s Allen you can’t pull him at the first sign of struggle either. 

That’s why ultimately it has to be Cam. It’s smarter to play Cam now and see where he is and let him workout himself back into the flow. You can’t try to insert him in too late into the season. If Cam struggles for two straight weeks and show signs of still being injured  then you just go back to KA7 to close out the season and deal with Cam in the offseason. 

For both Cam's and the organizations sake, hopefully they both can monitor his foot and shoulder and not put him out there prematurely. But absolutely, once you commit back to Cam, you let him play until he gets his groove back, hopefully. And at the same token, you don't pull KA out at the first multi interception game because he will undoubtedly have one. As long as our defense continues to play hungry, we have some leniency at QB. The toughest question is, what does Cam have to do to be considered ready to get back in there?

Archived